Newbie '75 Honda CB360t - semi-cafe'd

motofiaccone said:
Just a suggestion, but scuffing the side covers will go a lot faster (and allow you to keep your fingertips) by doing the following:

1.) Drain the oil
2.) Pop the side covers off
3.) Spray them with oven cleaner
4.) wipe off said oven cleaner after 10 minutes or so
4.) Put wire brush attachment on drill
5.) Brush away

Then go attack it with the scotchbrite. You're looking at an hour total to get the job done. FWIW, I removed the sidecovers and attacked them with a roloc disk ona a pneumatic high-speed sander. Then I sanded and polished. But for what you're tying to do, I'd use my advice from above.

--Chris

Yep, soft brass wire brush on a hand drill. Some times slower speeds for control. Steel wool in those tight corners.
Also, I used "Aircraft Metal Stripper" to get off of the remaining stubborn clear coat.
Then after cleaning it up, I used Blue Magic metal polish all over.

Taaadahhh.
IMAG0170-1.jpg

IMAG0167.jpg

I had a blast at Rockerbox 2010 in Milwaukee, frankly I am amazed that the bike made the 170 mile trip problem free. Extra props to Ace Motorcycle and Scooter in Chicago for making my unreliable bike into a nice strong runner!

I met the owner of this bike, who is on this forum I believe. Sadly I completely forgot your name!
IMG_2185.jpg

JRK5892 said:
bike looks great man! is your neighbor wanting to make some more $ ihave a seat that i need coverd

Sorry I have moved outta the parents' place a while ago and that guy has moved away as well. As far as seats go, if you have the coin, check out hondaclassic31. He sold me a SWEET cb360 cafe seat:
IMG_2131.jpg

My buddy put up a video of me riding back home from Rockerbox in Milwaukee WI

Mark Riding his CB360

krukster86 said:
Yeah I used a scotch brite pad by hand for an hour or so and got fed up before resorting to using the drill. I am going to try wet sanding next. Someone also recommended that I use carb cleaner to take off the Honda varnish...I had some oven cleaner lying around the house but it read "DO NOT USE ON ALUMINUM!" so I ditched it obviously :D

Hey guys, I found two great products for cleaning up my engine and carbs.
First for the engine, I got the most soft brass wire wheel, to go on my drill, from my local Do It Right Hardware store
along with a couple hand wire brushes. If you can find a soft pipe cleaner brush, they are good for getting in the fins.
Now for getting off that darn clear coat on the engine I used a very effective stripper for Aluminum that I got at the auto parts store paint section. It's an Aircraft Aluminum Stripper.
Now don't push too hard while using the drill and brush, you can cause the Aluminum to kinda melt and ripple on the surface. I did it with a low RPM on my drill.
Then get a flat piece of smooth metal, like a popsicle stick, round ends. Use it with a 3M thin cleaning pad to get deep in those fins and cracks. I use this technique for both cleaning and then with my favorite metal polish cream, Blue Magic.
Then after completely cleaning i went to work with the Blue Magic
Now for the really cool find, I used this great stuff for cleaning my carbs called Aluminum Jelly, same maker of Royal Jelly for rust. It's made to clean up oxidation and corrosion on Aluminum. It worked great on my carbs. They look brand new.
Take them off and get yourself a couple paint brushes so you can get the jelly in every crack all over the carbs.
If your carbs all greasy or have gas tarnish, you should try to get as much as you can off first. Follow the directions and then spray the carbs clean with a strong stream of water and use the brushes again to clean the jelly out. I then used soapy water for the final wash. Then blow them dry with an air nozzle or what ever you have. Make sure you open up the carbs and get what ever water out. I removed my CV boots and slides before applying the jelly.
You can see the results on my engine and carbs.
Good luck guys. Keep posting result images.
IMAG0167.jpg

IMAG0162.jpg

Which exhaust did you go with? Did it mount easily? Sound level? I need something relatively quiet for my wife's cb360.

keeleydavis said:
Which exhaust did you go with? Did it mount easily? Sound level? I need something relatively quiet for my wife's cb360.
Wow! It has been a while since I visited this forum. KD, I have gone through 3 different exhausts on this bike:
1. (Mounted by the previous owner): Basically Autozone straight tube exhaust. LOUD as hell, I have no idea how he mounted them!
2. "Dunstall replica" exhausts from CycleRecycle Part II. They were supposed to be quiet, but ended up being super loud once the packing inside of them blew out. They mounted up somewhat OK using "adapter" pieces.
3. MAC Exhaust from a parts bike I bought for peanuts: Fitted up really easily. Not as quiet as my '09 Vstrom exhaust, but much quieter than the previous 2 exhausts. The sound of rolling the throttle to 7k RPMs slowly has been described as "beautiful".

keeleydavis said:
Thanks much. Was it a max 2into1 system?

No it was not. It was the 2 into 2. However, it was JUST the mufflers. I used stock headers. The mufflers mounted to the stock headers with ease!

oh gotcha. are these the culprits? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB350-CB360-Twin-Megaphone-Mufflers-Exhaust-/170880422319?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c94451af&vxp=mtr

HECK YEA! Mine were rusted up a bit, so I gave them to my local powdercoat guy to coat with a high temp black coat. I think your wife will like these a lot (and your ears will thank you!)

Thank you so much for your help. I think I am going to go with these? And they have a removable baffle if i wanted to wrap even more insulation?

Back
Top Bottom