82 Virago 750 help a buddy get back on the road winter project.

Maritime said:
.... The only weird thing was dude before me put a red something that was like saran wrap on the head, my guess is a sealant used on 2 strokes. I cleaned it all off a d won't be using it.

Interesting and hard to visualize. Was it a painted finish inside the heads or something wrapped around the outside? If it was a red paint cpoating on teh internal surfaces, it may have been Glyptal which is used to seal porous surfaces usually on 4 strokes. http://www.eastwood.com/glyptal-red-brush-on-1-qt.html

Or was it something completely different?

teazer said:
Interesting and hard to visualize. Was it a painted finish inside the heads or something wrapped around the outside? If it was a red paint cpoating on teh internal surfaces, it may have been Glyptal which is used to seal porous surfaces usually on 4 strokes. http://www.eastwood.com/glyptal-red-brush-on-1-qt.html

Or was it something completely different?

It was transparent red and dried like a thin plastic, he put a thin coat on the head mating surfaces. It came off in flakes and the stuff that didn't came off with a little carb cleaner and simple green. I've never seen it before but I have also only been in 5 motorcycle motors so far in my lifetime as well. you can see little bits of it on the head around the locating sleeves that I didn't completely clean yet, I should have taken a pic of it before I cleaned it all off. live and learn.

Maybe, weird thing to put on a head? not even sure it would take the heat of combustion. I'm glad I pulled it now and can put it back on right, He didn't even remove the cam tensioner so I'm guessing that's why he didn't get the sprocket bolted back in place

So parts I need come in on the 7th at the Yamaha dealer, I went and grabbed the 2 6205 bearings to swap out the solid bushings, came in at $18.50 after tax, from what I read it's one of the best mods you can do to these heads to save the cams and free up some rev's. Straight bolt on too. For less than 20 bucks and maybe an extra half hours work to do the front I'd say worth it.

Wow, been too long., anyway Jimmy came over last Sunday and we Torqued the rear head, then pulled the cam bushing on the front head and swapped in the bearing. I opened the carbs, should have gotten pictures of the mess LOL. Hair, straw, mouse poo you name it. I am going to either make a Ichiban ultrasonic cleaner from a sander and Tupperware dish and use pinesol on the bodies and carb cleaner on the brass or do the lemon juice boil. Figure that out for the weekend. Did a compression test, it just passed 100 PSI but was exactly the same on both cylinders so my guess is it will be in correct range once the bike is running again. also my booster pack was weak I was using to turn over the motor. Next, I found out the manual I downloaded the first time was incomplete, found another and now have the specs on the carbs. PO to Jimmy put what appear to to be aftermarket open pipes. then rejetted with the wrong brand of jet as the Mains were 125 and from my research, Hitachi jets go up by 2's, so this is a mikuni Jet = to about a 124. Stock is 122 so the 1 step up for open pipe and drilling the plugs over the mixture screws to richen was done, I am going to get 124, 126, 128 jets and some needle shims and should be able to tune it in with the help of a good article I found. sorry no pics but I'll get some.

Red neck ultrasonic pinesol bath.

Attachments

• IMG_20170302_191548895_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170302_191548895_HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 363
Sabder will likely shit the bed but I paid 5 bucks for it. Smells great and the cooler should be sparkling clean along with the carbs.

If you can split racks in the future, or even for this one seeing how the carbs are separate-the cheap HF $80 cleaner has worked well for me. I used a distilled water mix with some lemon juice and PB Blaster. Just flipped it around during the cycle since one end will be slightly exposed. AMAZED with the results! I remember the late night I was out there, stoked by how they came out!

Later on I had some stuck jets and poured from my PB Blaster gallon in the cleaner by itself, worked well. Insane how much I've used that PB bath on countless other items since. I save it in a container if going back to the distilled water mix, it's pricey!! Drop rusty parts in, wrench on the bike- come back and hit it with the steel wool and continue. I definitely want a more industrial unit in the future to save time if flipping s bike, drop that whole rack in, but for now it's been good to me. With coupon was just at $65 with tax. Top two are distilled mix before and after, and the other was after I did some quick polishing on the tops. I'm sure you have one in your own shop already, I think everyone on here has had this very unit at some point

35857714e15591be34849f0e89d80707.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BillyGoat4130 said:
Does that work? I tried making something similar years ago and couldn't ever seem to do much for me. Share your secret lol

I had them in a big 4 gal jug I cut the top off then tried to put back on and it worked better but pinesol was flying everywhere, the coolers double wall took away most of the vibes. I am going to look for a tupperware big enough and try it again, this worked ok but I think another round in a thinner container would yield better results

Maritime said:
I had them in a big 4 gal jug I cut the top off then tried to put back on and it worked better but pinesol was flying everywhere, the coolers double wall took away most of the vibes. I am going to look for a tupperware big enough and try it again, this worked ok but I think another round in a thinner container would yield better results

Don't want to side-bar your thread, but what I found with mine was that although I had the strength of the oscillations, I didn't really have a high enough frequency/speed of them I figured to really make it work right. I built a big one out of a plastic 55 gallon drum, made lots of bubbles and I hung the part from the top thinking the cavitation would hit the parts and do some work, but I let it run about 8 hours once and couldn't tell any difference at all so I gave up on it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/xw6r_0oaSW/?taken-by=hondaatc

I'll keep an eye on this because I'd like to revisit mine if yours works good for you.

BillyGoat4130 said:
Don't want to side-bar your thread, but what I found with mine was that although I had the strength of the oscillations, I didn't really have a high enough frequency/speed of them I figured to really make it work right. I built a big one out of a plastic 55 gallon drum, made lots of bubbles and I hung the part from the top thinking the cavitation would hit the parts and do some work, but I let it run about 8 hours once and couldn't tell any difference at all so I gave up on it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/xw6r_0oaSW/?taken-by=hondaatc

I'll keep an eye on this because I'd like to revisit mine if yours works good for you.

No worries. the 55 gal might just have been too big. When I had them in the windshield washer jug it really shook the shit out of them, literally stuff was just coming out like crazy but the pinesol went everywhere and I had to find a better container. the cooler was the only thing that they fit in but it barely aggitated at all. I think the one sander in a 12"x12" x 12" approx container with non double walls would work well. Going to give them another round, they are a lot cleaner than they were but I think they can be cleaner. also the damn cooler fell off the stool about 10 min in and I lost all my cleaner. Floor is spotless now though LOL.

Drey6 said:
If you can split racks in the future, or even for this one seeing how the carbs are separate-the cheap HF $80 cleaner has worked well for me. I used a distilled water mix with some lemon juice and PB Blaster. Just flipped it around during the cycle since one end will be slightly exposed. AMAZED with the results! I remember the late night I was out there, stoked by how they came out!

Later on I had some stuck jets and poured from my PB Blaster gallon in the cleaner by itself, worked well. Insane how much I've used that PB bath on countless other items since. I save it in a container if going back to the distilled water mix, it's pricey!! Drop rusty parts in, wrench on the bike- come back and hit it with the steel wool and continue. I definitely want a more industrial unit in the future to save time if flipping s bike, drop that whole rack in, but for now it's been good to me. With coupon was just at $65 with tax. Top two are distilled mix before and after, and the other was after I did some quick polishing on the tops. I'm sure you have one in your own shop already, I think everyone on here has had this very unit at some point

35857714e15591be34849f0e89d80707.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep those look great. I do not want to take mine apart and lose something or screw up the sync etc so I am going to try another container that is just big enough to fully submerge the two together.

Thanks man! Yeah disassembling is not fun, if I knew it wasn't going to be a SLOW rebuild I would have opted for a quickie clean/rebuild but for a $150 bike I figure might as well take my time as funds open up quite a bit at that starting price.

Enjoying this rebuild thread! Nice to see someone genuinely help another out! I've been luck on the advice end for sure.

I once had an 82' Virago but had major title issues and dumped it- for the best. I had too many back burners as is and for once, looking back I made a good decision. Maybe that's what I'll drink to tonight, 1 good decision lolol. PS- your photo didn't load, but I am on tapatalk, not sure if that changes things!

Back
Top Bottom