79kz650 generic brat motorcycle thing

Jboogie13

Hey all,
this is my first post, ive lingered on the forum for a little while, so yeah.
sold my zrx this spring to buy a new truck, and couldnt stand not having a motorcycle, so i decided to build this thing.
My first bike was an 80 kz750, and i had started to go the same direction, before selling it halfway through to buy a flashy gsxr750. Then i went to an 89 gs500, then the zrx, now back to a kz.

Aforementioned 750:
468175_10150840945796130_1843169624_o_zpstkpsugbb.jpg

How i recieved the 650:
20151012_162850_zpsprujh3tf.jpg

Genereal direction im headed, just substitute the clip ons for superbike bends:

kawasaki-kz650-cafe-racer-clutch-custom-motorcycles-1.jpg

As you can see, not really breaking the mold, just trying to build a reliable bike to cruise around on when i cant sleep (the joys of working nights.)
I didnt really plan on making a buidl thread, but i guess its a nice way to get feedback/help and a good way to document the process,

Thanks!

Initially, i cleaned the tank with electrolysis, and got the bike running, only to find that it would only run with the choke full on.
So i got to fishing for air leaks, and found that someone had tried to re seal the cracked intake boots with gorilla glue.
Upon removing the intake boots, one of the bolts snapped flush with the head, I know my limits, so i pulled the head and took it to the machine shop.
20151020_204042_zps4mf0toqb.jpg

Using this opportunity to give the engine a deep cleaning and a nice gloss black spray job. taped covers will be either raw, or polished depending on how lazy i am feeling by then.

IMG_20151027_065028_zpsnxjgxrcx.jpg

20151021_173131_zps7inzoz7q.jpg

IMG_20151027_065304_zpsmqc7aj7r.jpg

Carbs were spotless inside, but the outsides looked every bit like they had been sitting behind someones shed for years (because they had been)

IMG_20151027_065150_zps0srnzox5.jpg

Todays goal is to pull the valves from the head to clean and get ready for the new valve seals when my gasket kit shows up, and to clean and paint the head.

Got the head cleaned/painted, pulling the valves tonight.
Before:
IMG_20151027_123236_zps16ubbq6k.jpg

After:
IMG_20151028_181706_zpskaiixfau.jpg

What is that build up on the exhaust valve? I think it's lead, but I'm not sure. Will have to remove it once the valves are out of the head.

Cleaned the carbs and re assembled them too, I'm always amazed by the power of pine sol.
IMG_20151028_151104_edit_1446059484071_zpsr8zflrfo.jpg

IMG_20151028_180940_zpsaekvfcvw.jpg

Hopefully the engine will be back together next week and i can get started on the frame and wiring. I removed the entire harness and binned it because it was so rough, so I will be constructing my own.

I also found these little jet plug things in the holes for the pilot jets, they have 50 stamped into them, any insight to what they are?
IMG_20151028_181348_zpsqtf5pywv.jpg

Well, at the close of my weekend, ive got the new valve seals in and valve train back together, carbs are all set up. Wiring supplies are in the mail, which means i can start cutting the frame next week and get going on the electrics box and seat mounting etc.

Anybody have any opinions on buying a pre-made seat off ebay vs making my own?

I think a well done one off seat is better than something mass produced. But it does take more time or money or both.

Powderfinger said:
I think a well done one off seat is better than something mass produced. But it does take more time or money or both.

I think youre right, it looks like im doing pretty good on budget so far so i think i can splurge on a nicely done custom seat, and to get the tins painted professionally.

Ive also got plenty of time to devote to it, since it wont be warm enough to ride for another 5 months.

Updates for anyone watching:

Got the frame de-tabbed and the hoop welded in today:

20151103_162434_zpsr4hbypjc.jpg

Quick shot of black for rust prevention:

20151103_172717_zpshc4739sn.jpg

Hopefully will have the engine back in the frame tonight. Now i just need to figure out a solution for the electric tray.

If anybody knows of a user who can bend me up a sheet metal box that is 6.75" wide x 10" Long x 2" Deep I will be happy to pay for their services, as i do not have access to a sheet metal brake.

canyoncarver said:
Great bike man, I dig the inspiration bike too. Seems you are moving right along.

Thanks!

I think the time consuming parts will be the seat and painting/shaping the tank and fenders.

As my weekend draws to a close, this is how the bike sits:

20151104_145910_zpshs5t1lu3.jpg

Next step will be mounting the components to the electrics tray, though im not 100% sure that i will end up keeping this tray, but it will do for now. I also need to find a battery and a mosfet R/R so that i can run a LiFe batt along with switching to an electrosport stator.

For the handlebar controls i went to radio shack and picked up some mini toggle switches to make a DIY version of these fancy things:
Because $60.00 a side seems a bit steep when the switches cost $6.00 a side, so i will have to come up with a switch block, which i have an idea in mind already.

PoshDoubleBlackMounted_large.jpg

Also have to start working on the rear fender. That's next weeks project.

Thanks for looking.

played around with the rear fender a little before work this afternoon:
20151105_125846_zpsyjjcvfo3.jpg

Keep in mind that the fender will be about 3/8" higher when mounted, as there is a magnet holding it on in the picture, but i think the rear hoop will be going back into surgery to make some adjustments for tire clearance. right now the tire hits the hoop with about an inch more travel left. :-X

At least you found out about the tire clearance before it happened on the street. Nice switch bling too.

Great work so far! Love KZ builds. I Look forward to seeing this one when it's done. I was curious on how you're going to handle the rear disc brake. I have the same setup on my KZ650 and I haven't wrapped my head around what to do with it. Leave it, or do some custom setup that moves the reservoir somewhere that's less obvious?

CafeRacer650 said:
Great work so far! Love KZ builds. I Look forward to seeing this one when it's done. I was curious on how you're going to handle the rear disc brake. I have the same setup on my KZ650 and I haven't wrapped my head around what to do with it. Leave it, or do some custom setup that moves the reservoir somewhere that's less obvious?

This one has a rear drum brake, which i am going to leave since the rear brake doesn't really get used while riding, especially not with the dual front disks.

However, if it helps you at all, i know that the guys who ride their sport bikes at the track sometimes use a piece of clear plastic hose in place of their rear reservoir:

Something you may be interested in, as it will draw your eye a lot less than the big bowl, but is easier than relocating everything. Just make sure your rear setup is bled extra good, because you have less fluid you can draw in.

Would using some longer shocks in the rear alleviate my tire clearance issues? i know the kz900 shocks are about an inch longer, and im willing to venture a guess that they have the same amount of travel thus lifting the rear of the bike one inch as well as clearing the tire. It would also bring my head angle in a little more without having to slam the fork.

Jboogie13 said:
Would using some longer shocks in the rear alleviate my tire clearance issues? i know the kz900 shocks are about an inch longer, and im willing to venture a guess that they have the same amount of travel thus lifting the rear of the bike one inch as well as clearing the tire. It would also bring my head angle in a little more without having to slam the fork.

Sounds like from your earlier measurements you need more wheel travel space than one inch.

canyoncarver said:
Sounds like from your earlier measurements you need more wheel travel space than one inch.

Youre right, i was just trying to get out of it without having to cut it again and re weld it.
Cant start taking shortcuts this early on, it will only come back to bite me in the end. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom