Hello! From Johannesburg - Moto Guzzi V50 Project

Dale

Coast to Coast
Hi Guys.

Been looking for a cafe racer forum for a few months now where I felt I could document my first, well kinda first, maybe almost second cafe racer build.
I basically grew up in my dads garage, where he rebuilt literally dozens of classic and vintage cars.

So my appreciation for classic and vintage vehicles stems from that place. As I got more into bikes over the years, I always had a great admirationn for classic racers. So, the idea of turning a standard road bike into a more *race* orientated machine, both mechanically as well as visually meant that I loved cafe'd bikes.

Having your build documented on a forum like this, is always a great experience, as feedback and critique often push your bike into a better direction. It's also great getting that encouargemnt as you go through the lulls and peaks of the build. How often has a project been abandoned. Lack of motivation is the number one reason I would guess.

Anyways. I started on my Moto Guzzi V50II in September last year. I'll start my build thread soon hopefully.

MotoGuzzi_Jan2011.jpg

This is what I started with (below), and below that is my plan. (Photographed and then photoshop'd).

Moto_Guzzi_V50_Monza_MKII.jpg

And this is the idea.

Dale_V50II.jpg

Moto_Guzzi_V50_Monza_MKII_darkgrey.jpg

On the surface the bike looked pretty good. But I was to find out otherwise! :) Always part of the deal I guess!

-----

I'm also busy with this project, but its not my priority build - the Moto Guzzi is definitely full steam ahead, and I'm hoping to have it done by March this year.

Its a combination of 1983 GPZ 550, Suzuki GSXR and Suzuki Bandit.
Its essentially a Cafe Racer, but it has Streetfighter aspects to it. Physically its actually quite small in dimensions.

Dale_May2010_01.jpg

2010_05_12_bikepics-1972874-full.jpg

On another note, and maybe not completely relevant, is a project that I have been working on (as in *carry this*, *hold this*, *move this*) with my brother, his 1957 Triumph TR3.
Restoration is part of what we all do here, and its just cool to see something like this every now and again.
My brother is a perfectionist beyond the call of duty, and this build is pretty damn close to that.

I guess this thread is a little about who I am, and that's why I included this. :)

TR3_03.jpg

TR3_04.jpg

Thanks for your time, if you've got this far.
I look forward to being part of this community, and contributing where I can.
I'm just a regular garage guy doing what he loves!

Take care.
Dale

Wow! Welcome to DTT man! Hell of an intro!

That Guzzi looks amazing, and if its half of what your concept drawings are itll be one of the best here for sure!

The streetfighter is crazy! Would love to see more of it.

That Triumph... Its beautiful already!

Geez... That car came out of the woodwork!! ITS AMAZING... Plus the bike is sooo nice already! Man, if I could *Favourite* this thread to push to my iPhone so I can stay in the loop I would!!!
Looking forward to updates! Seems like everything you own is awesome...
-Slice

Slice said:
Geez... That car came out of the woodwork!! ITS AMAZING...

Hey Slice - yeah I guess it did!

Thanks for the kind words... Hoping to spend some quality time here.

The guzzi's heads are in for gas flowing and skimming atm. As soon as I get them back I'm going to start a build thread. Just finished up the bottom end and gearbox. Big ends and main bearings nearly bankrupting me! :)

And I'll make sure I dont start a build thread for the Triumph!

Hey Reinhard, thanks man.

Looking forward to checking around more in depth and seeing your'e guys builds.

Theres a lot of quality stuff here.

A few more concepts:

Moto_Guzzi_V50_Monza_MKII_yellowstripe.jpg

Moto_Guzzi_V50_Monza_MKII_red_blkshocks.jpg

Moto_Guzzi_V50_Monza_MKII_darkgrey_twotone.jpg

I've already powdercoated the exhausts in high heat matt powdercoating (Withstands temps up to 800degC). So the chrome is out.

I really like the monochrome look, so paintwise, am leaning toward maybe a black with a traditional grey stripe going doing the centre.

Dunno.

Reinhard said:
But then again I'm a "no-chrome" kind of guy.

I'm pretty much on that track as well. Although I do have an aluminium polishing addiction.
I guess if its shiny, it must be "real metal".

Chrome has its place, and its always good for an accent, but too much of the stuff is like that feeling you got when you were a kid and ate too much candy at party and the sugar started making you crazy... and ... ok Im gonna stop now.

Less is more when it comes to chrome.

Wow. seriously. The V50 don't get a lot of love here in the states, but I can't imagine why. I love it so much I saved the silver and black concept as my wallpaper. Good luck on your build! I'm anxious to see it done.

Good show. I think the reason the Guzzi small blocks wern't loved is because they are very small framed. I'm only 5'6" and I felt big on mine, it just felt tiny beneath, but ran and handled great.

Hey two-smoker - you used the pic as a wallpaper?! Awesome man, I'm honored! :)

Yeah, the reason why they didn't get a lot of love *almost anywhere* is due to the fact that the 500cc motor was very conservatively tuned. Any mid sized Japanese machine out performed the Guzzi in power, and the Moto Guzzi cost a *lot* more. Recipe for disaster in places like the U.S.

And, yes, gentlemanjim, you're bang on - the frame size is definitely a touch smaller than, say, a Z550 Kawasaki of the time. (But not by much!).

The Tonti frame, which was designed for handling, I'm assuming, made the powers that be at Moto guzzi figure that would make up for the lack of power (IMO).

Hey Dale...... how is the project going. Haven't heard from you in a while thought I would check in.

Back
Top Bottom