Two Guys Garage builds a cafe bike!

biker_reject

Over 1,000 Posts
Finally! TIVO captured something interesting on SPEED TV. Instead of the usual NASCRAP and the two-weeks-after-the-actual-race NASCRAP-ization of AMA Superbikes, it recorded the updated TGG complete with a young dude host sporting ubiquitous weird facial hair! No more old guys working on old muscle cars this week! Anyway, Two Guys Garage is building a very sweet CB550 mono-shocked cafe with a sharp-ass custom seat, custom SS exhaust, and dirtbike hubs! I can't freakin' wait for the next episode!

Teaser clip! Sorry, it's all I could find.
http://www.brentonftp.com/video/twoguys/flv/player.php?movie=Tease_805

I just watched it again and discovered that it's not a CB550. I'm not sure what it is, but the frame looks to be modded too. A very cool bike, indeed!

That's cool! I've kinda got mixed emotions on the whole mainstream thing though.
Maybe it's because I grew up on punk rock, but when everyone likes something and wants one, it kind of loses it's luster for me. I like that cafe bikes are still kind of an underground thing here in the U.S. I don't want the dude who laid down 30 grand for his super sweet softtail chopper to have his harley tat covered with a ton up pirate tat and plunk down another large sum to have the latest "it" guy who was on discovery channel's new cafe buildoff show build his bike for him. I like that people ask me "What's up with those bars man?" or "What is it" or "Why did you do that to a perfectly good bike?" That's part of the allure for me. A small part, but admittedly a part nonetheless. I can see it now: Some clown in a sideways hat pondering over whether or not he wants to go with the candy paint or the tribal graphics on his beachball tire-sportin single sided swing arm, air suspension having shiny chrome cafe turd.
Now that I've got all that out... I'm gonna have to watch two guys garage so I can steal ideas. Uhhh... I mean get inspiration. ;)

:D I hear ya, Brutha! I appreciate what you're saying. I love the build this guy (and the help of an engineer) is doing, though. I wish I had the fabrication skills and the resources/equipment he has at his disposal. The monoshock swingarm is custom as are the exhaust flanges, axle/nut, and brake rotor. I can't imagine how much a machine shop would charge to do that kind of work. Around here, it's $65.00/hr. With the dirt bike hubs he's using, I'm guessing the rims will be custom too! Anyway, it's something out of the ordinary fare you see on SPEED. In fact, a couple of weeks ago, the host did a quickie custom paint job on a Buell XB12R. I was pleasantly surprised! There are some good ideas on this particular cafe build that I would like to use in future projects.

Deviant1 said:
That's cool! I've kinda got mixed emotions on the whole mainstream thing though.
Maybe it's because I grew up on punk rock, but when everyone likes something and wants one, it kind of loses it's luster for me. I like that cafe bikes are still kind of an underground thing here in the U.S. I don't want the dude who laid down 30 grand for his super sweet softtail chopper to have his harley tat covered with a ton up pirate tat and plunk down another large sum to have the latest "it" guy who was on discovery channel's new cafe buildoff show build his bike for him. I like that people ask me "What's up with those bars man?" or "What is it" or "Why did you do that to a perfectly good bike?" That's part of the allure for me. A small part, but admittedly a part nonetheless. I can see it now: Some clown in a sideways hat pondering over whether or not he wants to go with the candy paint or the tribal graphics on his beachball tire-sportin single sided swing arm, air suspension having shiny chrome cafe turd.
Now that I've got all that out... I'm gonna have to watch two guys garage so I can steal ideas. Uhhh... I mean get inspiration. ;)
that's exactly it. I bought my cb450 with the intention of doing something custom and wasn't sure what. As soon as I posted the bike on other forums everyone jumped on to tell me to "café it" whatever that meant. I like café style and all that, but since everyone said to do it, I'm not doing it. I come to this site to see cool café style bikes and gather information that can help me with my build. So in essence I take from café, and from brat, and from choppers, and bobbers, but because they are all popular, I have chose to call my bike non of the above and yet all of the above.

Back
Top Bottom