I'm a victim of fraud.

So it happened Saturday.
I check my online bank account statement and I see a $20.00 charge that I never made. So I take a trip to the bank and they tell me that the charge was made in the Bay area, a place where I haven't visited in the last 3-4 years. Boom, fraud. So the guy that's helping me opens a new savings and checking account for me and tell me to wait till the following Tuesday to call to file loss and close the account.

So fast forward to today and I get a call from the Wells Fargo Fraud Department while at work, with them asking if I made two charges at Walmart, one for $200 and another for $50. I shop at Walmart but I never spend that much. So now she shut down my card and is sending me a new one.

Tomorrow I'm going back to talk to the guy that helped me on Saturday to make sure everything's okay. Anyone else a victim of fraud?

Not fraud but I had my VISA card stolen once. Thief tried buying cartons of cigarettes with it and the bank flagged it. I don't smoke. All the unauthorized charges were reimbursed.

I had some fraudulent charges to my Visa and the bank flagged it, called me and closed the account.
They investigated and covered the charges and issued a new card.
All good :)

Been a victim of fraud twice in my live. Years back someone used my information to charge $12,000 on my credit card. I had it worked out and only had to pay a $50 fee for my troubles which in itself sucks, but not as much as having to pay the whole thing.

And another only two months ago someone had my information from my debit/bank card and used to for calling overseas. Three charges for about $20 each. Got is worked out with my bank, Wachovia/Wells Fargo. It sucks and happens and really pisses me off. I imagine that I actually have more respect for someone who physically takes something from me over someone who hides behind an information wall. These weak people need to have their info stolen.

This kind of thing is starting to happen more and more. I was in Europe a few months ago, and somebody got my card info somehow while in Italy... I had my card declined at a restaurant in Switzerland and spent my first night in Paris on the phone with VISA for 45 minutes, getting asked if had tried to buy $800 of jewelery off the internet.

My dad just got a cell phone bill from Rogers last week. He doesn't have a Rogers cell phone, but apparently somebody decided to open one in his name...

I had $5000 worth of beauty supplies charged to my card once - some wholesale thing. Wasn't hard to dispute and get reversed.

Watch this video from PBS's Frontline World, this was just on the air last night. Maybe you'll spot the your old computer thought you were recycling. If you don't know by now, any computer you throw out or give away, destroy the hard drive (only), a hard drive now a days cost a couple of dollars.

http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/stories/ghana804/video/video_index.html

Never had mine stolen, but my old bank would lock up my account every time i would travel for business. kind of nice knowing there are watching, but come on.

last time it happened I was in Milwaukee, stayed a night in Vegas, and ended up in Palm Springs, CA. went to the bar at my hotel and it was a NOGO. switched banks and hasn't happened since.

Dang, fraud happens to a lot of us.

On a good note everything got cleared up. I got my $20 back (lol I'm a college student so everything helps!), the old account is closed, and I have a new card coming in the mail. I'm glad that everything went smoothly.

goodfornothing said:
Dang, fraud happens to a lot of us.

On a good note everything got cleared up. I got my $20 back (lol I'm a college student so everything helps!), the old account is closed, and I have a new card coming in the mail. I'm glad that everything went smoothly.

The guy on Saturday was a moron and was just trying to get a new account (he has to open a certain amount). You did not need a new checking account if they are only charging your card. You needed to close the card immediately and order a new one. Hell, he could have given you a temp card on the spot to last you the week it takes for your new one to arrive. I work for Wells Fargo (not a personal banker but i used to be) and it pisses me off when a banker who is supposed to be helping you does something that "looks" like he is helping but is only helping himself. Fell free to PM me and I will go into more detail...

Sorry, I am off of my soapbox now.

Back
Top Bottom