Buying bike with no title - ONT

gribbs

Coast to Coast
I am sure this must have been covered before so if there is a link to thread can someone post it here for me? What is involved in this process, and is it something that takes time?

Thanks!

There's a thread on it in the Legal section:

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=2156.0

Basically boils down to you needing a notarized affadavit saying you bought the bike from so and so for how much (the amount of which you will end up paying taxes on, so if you paid $100 for it, don't put $1,000 ;))

So long as things make sense you'll be fine.

One thing you might want to do, and you need it anyhow, is order up the Used Vehicle Info Package for the bike. You can order them online or go to a Ministry office. $20 or so and you get the history of the bike including the last registered owner.

It would help if your affadavit said you bought the bike from the last owner. Of course a bill of sale from the previous owner to you would do the trick too. Then its just a case of the ownership paper being lost and that's no big deal at all. They have to give you a new one anyhow.

Thanks Tim!

Can much of this process be done by the owner, instead of the buyer? Can the seller get a notarized affadavit all finished? I always think the seller should make it as easy as possible for the buyer, and not vice versa. I don't have the time to do that stuff, and if he cares to sell it and the bike is legit it would be nice to put the ball in his court and do these things, if that is an option

I suppose he could get an affadavit stating that he was selling it to you - best thing would be for him to get the title himself as the current owner and then sell the bike to you.

It's really no big deal and doesn't require any extra trips to the ministry. you can order the $20 UVIP (Seller is supposed to provide so get $20 from him) online. It has a bill of sale form on the end of it. If the last registered owner's signature was on it as selling the bike to you, then you're all set and no affadavit is needed.

Afterall, what's a signature other than a scribbled name?

Wow that is so much easier. But doesnt that mean someone could steal a bike, then order the sellers kit, sign it, and sell the bike- wam bam just like that?? I guess it could be tracked back to them that way easily though...

Back
Top Bottom