Wider Tire Widths

PHeller said:
I'm not sure at the speed I'm taking corners that the increase in tire size will be perceptible.

but eventually youll get better, and youll realize that your bike doesnt really handle as well as it should.

PHeller said:
I'm not sure at the speed I'm taking corners that the increase in tire size will be perceptible.

Yes it will. Regardless of how slow you corner, you WILL notice that the bike now handles like a truck. Wide tires just slow handling by slowing turn-in, regardless of speed.

The old hgh profile tires allow a wider tire to be mounted without quite as much effect or risk as a low profile radial, but they still pinch up and affect handling.

You could lace up slightly wider rims for a low price, the rims on old 750s and such could be fitted up. Of course for the most part you could probably run a 110 on the back and a 100 on the front if you insist on having fat tires and impeding your learning to ride better in corners. Your call.

And what was that crap about welding things up? A tube can be run in any tubeless tire without any problem, it just reduces the speed rating one level. You won't lose any sleep over that with your bike. Weld up holes... what a joke. :D

Wow, you guys make it sound like the only option out there is pizza cutter tires that are as skinny as possible. Hell I might as well buy a Goldwing and install a blinking headlight, wear my high-vis vest, and ride only in optimal conditions. Don't forget the air-bag jacket as well.

Holy hell...we're talking wider tire widths, not the ethics of running wider tires.

You know, I really don't know what the f I'm talking about so take it for what its worth. For a very long time guys have ran beefer tires other than what came from the factory. You see it all the time. I can remember back in the day wanting a fattie on my '87 GSXR. I put the biggest tire I could fit under there. Much wider than recommended for the rim. I'm not sure how much it lowered its performance, but It looked cool as hell. One thing for sure I knew where its limits were and how it handled. The way I see it, as far as handling goes, its all relative, isn't it?
If you are going to ride a bike hard and are looking for top performance and such then maybe one should look into purchasing a tire for top performance. But my attitude is a noob going up one tire size on an old bob or chop is no more dangerous than having an inexperiencd noob ride a sport bike. It all depends on who they are how they ride it. Maybe I'm wrong. Like I said, I don't know wtf I'm talking about so take it for what its worth.

Maybe they are giving you good advice. And maybe you will kill yourself if you don't run the proper tire size. You did ask for advice so i guess you got it. If you run a wider tire and kill yourself it is no one's fault but your own. You have youself to blame for doing something you were told not to do. You went against the advice of others. So you are the one to pay the price. You are responsible. So I say don't ride with a passenger and do what ever the f you want. It's your life. I know that is how Iam. We are all gonna die one day anyway, right? ;)

PHeller said:
What are you running now?

Sorry for the late response- Battleax BT45 front and back in standard sizing 19/90/100 & 18/90/110. The Battleax's were put on due to neccessity. I was low on cash and the old 16' rear had to go (broken spokes/wasted tire). My friend had an 18' rear with a Battleax, so I bought it, then switch out the Chep Shit front tire to match. Handles great at high speeds and street, but sucks in even shallow dirt or mud (think dirt driveway or parking lot, which is common around here). I could probably run them for another year or more, but I'd like to switch to something that finally looks right/fits the bike, not something I had to buy out of necessity, savvy?

My VERY limited experience.

One shop told me there's no way a 120/100/18 would fit on the back of my cb450. Basically laughed at me.

Another shop said would order one but if it didn't work I was stuck with the tire.

Third shop said "hell yeah", threw it on there and it works fine. Slightly tight, but fine.

The first shop put a "stock" sized tire on my good friend's cb450 (some off brand 100/80/18) and it looks like a bicycle tire. It's actually smaller than his front tire and ruined the lines of the bike in my opinion. I barely noticed a handling change on mine, but I guess the point is, you should probably do what you want, because even among "professionals" the idea of what will fit and what won't is variable.

crazypj said:
There are variations in actual size between differnt manufacturers.
Saying that, dont know what a 120/100 is, tallest usually listed is 120/90 (nominal 120mm wide, 90% high)
Its not a case of opinion, its safetyy related.
Manufacturer specifies tyre for bike, tyre manufacturer will specify alternatives which should allow bike to handle as intended (probably better due to improvements in tyre technology?)
Obviously, third shop doesnt care about anything except money.
Luckily, you dont ride hard enough to notice it handles like shit.
posted this link previously,
http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/WheelTab.htm
your two sizes too big for wheel rim, I guess your hoping to sue when you fall down, you would be 'entitled' to you know?

PJ

I meant 120/90/18. Not 100. Regardless, no I don't ride my bike that hard, I ride it as hard as I need to enjoy riding. It really wasn't and isn't that much bigger than the cheng shin that was already on it. I don't have any complaints in relation to handling and I can't see how it matters for street riding and commuting. Your tone sucks, though, and clearly (on my particular bike at least) there are tons of different opinions on what tires work and what tires don't both online and in the shops, all three of which that I dealt with being known as reputable in my area. In fact, the one that put the tire on is commonly referred to by local riders of vintage bikes as the best place to get tires in the area. Your assumption that anyone who puts a different tire size on their bike that what is stock is going to wreck is ridiculous and just kinda makes you look like a tool.

At present I teach motorcycle techs (almost 10 yrs) but, I have been service manager/ workshop foreman/tech/mechanic for multiple brands/dealers
I've had to collect way too many crashed motorcycles when customers wouldn't listen to reason, generally act like a 4 yrs old ( I want, I want, then have a tantrum)
They then took bike elsewhere and got someone who didn't care, to do what they wanted. (the customer is NOT always right)
As a professional I have a duty to save people from their own stupidity when I can, probably why first shop laughed at you, yes, they could have been nicer, as could I, just fed up with same dumb shit for over 30 yrs.
I very rarely ever applly for jobs in motorcycle dealers/shops,(twice in 30 yrs) general managers call me up and ask me to work for them.
I know the type of shops that get recommended for parts/tyres etc
Same as anywhere, they get recommended because they are CHEAPEST in the area, not the best. (although some manage both)
'We' were not cheapest for tyres,(or just about anything else), there was/is a discount warehouse 10miles away, but, we were the best for performance/service/sales deals/etc

So, when you sell it, you are going to tell next owner?
Just because you ride like grandma doesn't mean next guy (or girl) will.
Telling people just go ahead and do stuff without any explanation of your riding style could easily get someone with even less experience than you killed.
If you don't like a true answer, just keep asking until someone agrees with you. ::)

PJ

crazypj said:
Pretty amazed by this, about 110 views since I posted and no comments?????????

PJ

What were you expecting? You act like a raging prick in nearly every post you make and regardless of the quality of info you pinch off, not many people care to play in that cat box for long.

perhaps you should try a different approach...

Yep, maybe I should be calling everyone assholes, douches and pricks?

well if so... i would perfer i am called a prick... assholes never win and are always spitting shit, douches are a one shot deal... but a prick... a prick will stay around as long as they can being firm on their issues

crazypj said:

I favor asshat myself.

Seriously man, just be nice. You can't browbeat people into agreeing with you.
I don't think anyone doubts your knowledge or experience.....

PJ = THE VOICE REASON!

It's shame we're all pretty unreasonable folk. I mean come on, we're spending way too much money on old bikes.

Swagger said:
I favor asshat myself.

Seriously man, just be nice. You can't browbeat people into agreeing with you.
I don't think anyone doubts your knowledge or experience.....

There is a major difference between nice and fawning sycophant.
Why cant I tell it like it is?
Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean I'm not right. ;) :D
"Is this the five minute argument or the full half hour?"

PJ

Back
Top Bottom