www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: "RATTLE CAN" BLING! ...everything is here!  (Read 223449 times)

Offline JRK5892

• The Powder Pro
Re: "RATTLE CAN" BLING! ...everything is here!
« Reply #40 on: Oct 28, 2009, 10:08:11 »
one thing that i have not seen mentioned that i do use, is an Adhesion Promoter... expectially if i am going to be shooting anything plastic!
here is the one i use... autozone carries a dupicolor that is not to shabby either... I HIGHLY recomend this if shooting plastic because you can not use a self etching primer on plastic, (it wrinkles)... i know most of the stuff we shoot is metal... but for those of us that have a Street fighter project brewing up  ;)  it realy helps to use this stuff before shooting paint!
Joe
"your life is an occasion, Stand up to it"
www.thepowderpro.com

recent builds: Hd street bob, TX cafe, KZ bratt, Goldwing tour, bratt wing, st fighter, road king, vriago bobber, chop, FXD, 1200 sporty, 1200xl sporty, GSXR, Royal enfield.. and more

Offline JRK5892

• The Powder Pro
« Reply #41 on: Oct 28, 2009, 11:08:15 »
True i still use it on ABS because with rattle cans the limited amount of flex that it has... i shot buddies CBR without it and the paint chipped away, yet on the old YZF i shot and used it, the paint is still going strong... was it the promoter... no one can say... but to me i consider it my flex, since you can not add that with a rattle can, i use it on any plastics... you do however bring up a good point and are correct in all that you have pointed out
Joe
www.thepowderpro.com

recent builds: Hd street bob, TX cafe, KZ bratt, Goldwing tour, bratt wing, st fighter, road king, vriago bobber, chop, FXD, 1200 sporty, 1200xl sporty, GSXR, Royal enfield.. and more

Offline Kanticoy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #42 on: Oct 28, 2009, 12:12:32 »
Im confused about the wash prep.  Body filler and primer are both porous so it would seem like a bad idea to get them wet with water.  Wont both of these trap water against the metal?

Actually, body filler ( I use Dynalite) isn't very absorbent at all.  I have wet sanded many many times and never had a problem.  My last truck project actually got rained on a few times before I sprayed the primer (bare body filler) and I wiped it down with denatured alcohol, then heated it with a heat gun to evaporate the moisture and sprayed.  No problems at all after two years.  I think that this is an urban myth about the moisture getting under the filler.  I suppose it is possible though, I have just never seen any examples. I always lay a light prime coat before I apply the filler.  This is just to counteract the possibilty of moisture/rust under the bondo.
I get not knowing, but I can't for the life of me understand not trying. It's only metal it can be fixed. Man up and risk a mistake in exchange for a lesson.
'

Offline Staffy

• It's not yours 'til you cut it up.
« Reply #43 on: Oct 28, 2009, 17:18:08 »
I think that this is an urban myth about the moisture getting under the filler. 

It is an urban myth.  That rust bubbling under filler and all the other problem are cause by poor preperation, ie: filling straight over rust....

Offline boomshakalaka

« Reply #44 on: Oct 28, 2009, 17:37:29 »
man, Im learning a lot!  I actually did my body filler right over bare metal.  I had googled it and some advocated doing it over bare metal, and some said you have to prime first.  It seems that as long as you metal is really clean and free of rust its fine to put filler right on it.  Also the primer Im using is just rustoleum primer.  It doesnt say filler primer or self etching.  My tins were sandblasted so they are really clean, and I also read somewhere that the active stuff in self etching primer can have bad reactions with body filler.  Again this is just something I read, and seeing as my metal is really clean I didnt see a reason to risk it with self etching primer.

Offline tWistedWheelz

• BUILT NOT BOUGHT!
« Reply #45 on: Oct 28, 2009, 17:54:02 »
Boom, I don’t use any primer under my body filler and I have never had any trouble, I do make sure the metal is prepped properly and ABSOLUTLY NO rust is anywhere on the surface before filler and again before priming. Rustoleum is fine to use for a rattle can job, that is what I use and if you do it right you will have no issues with it. You do rattle can jobs to save $$ and Rustoleum is cheap! It does come in a filling form and a “fast dry” form. I like the filler kind, it is a little thicker. The primer you use really has nothing to do with the quality finish you achieve. The wet sanding, color coats and clear coats paints is what makes the difference! Primer is just a base that insures a good thick protective layer of covering over the metal! It takes all three paints and several layers of each to achieve a proper protective coating using rattle cans. You will get the feel for all of this the more you do it!
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2009, 17:56:14 by tWistedWheelz »

Offline JRK5892

• The Powder Pro
« Reply #46 on: Oct 28, 2009, 18:08:05 »
Forcefanajd, man if you could write a how to on shooting with guns, that would be AWESOME!!!!! i was planning on doing that on my  TX when i shot it, but a buddy wanted to paint my tins as a wedding present so he shot them while i was on my honeymoon... i am not going to have to shoot anyting till i do my brothers goldwing and now he is thinking that he wants to rino liner it. 
a how to painting with the right equiptment would be KILLER on here! that would be a great addition, hell if you paint for a living adding some pics of mixing, adjusting pressures, thin'n the paint out and additives would be KILLER!
Joe
www.thepowderpro.com

Offline Staffy

« Reply #47 on: Oct 28, 2009, 18:10:53 »
Forcefanajd, man if you could write a how to on shooting with guns, that would be AWESOME!!!!! i was planning on doing that on my  TX when i shot it, but a buddy wanted to paint my tins as a wedding present so he shot them while i was on my honeymoon... i am not going to have to shoot anyting till i do my brothers goldwing and now he is thinking that he wants to rino liner it. 
a how to painting with the right equiptment would be KILLER on here! that would be a great addition, hell if you paint for a living adding some pics of mixing, adjusting pressures, thin'n the paint out and additives would be KILLER!

x2.  Bring it.  I'll be ding mine all with guns but bikes is different to fences and gates.  Bring on the right info!

Offline Staffy

« Reply #48 on: Oct 28, 2009, 18:17:03 »
Take your time.  Give us a notify on here when you do and we'll all come a runnin!!  ;)

Offline boomshakalaka

« Reply #49 on: Oct 28, 2009, 18:24:46 »
hmm.. Well Ive already got the primer on the tins, so I dont think I have a choice as Im not taking it down to bare metal again since Id have to redo all my bondo work.  Next time Ill get some better primer though.

What exactly does 2k mean though?