www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: "RATTLE CAN" BLING! ...everything is here!  (Read 223450 times)

Offline tWistedWheelz

• BUILT NOT BOUGHT!
Re: "RATTLE CAN" BLING! ...everything is here!
« Reply #50 on: Oct 28, 2009, 18:26:00 »
Forcefan:
I believe primer plays its part! Donít get me wrong, if I though it did not I would not even use it and therefore produce shity paintwork. I am only saying that this thread was created for RATTLE CAN paint jobs, hints the title of the thread! If you are doing it on the cheap, the rustoleum works great, from much experience of my own. If the primer you speak of is $10 then that is cool and thanks for the tip, however I have painted bikes that I only spent $20 on primer, color paint, clear paint, and DA sand paper! Just to let you know, they look great and I have had many compliments on my work.

Offline tWistedWheelz

• BUILT NOT BOUGHT!
« Reply #51 on: Oct 28, 2009, 18:44:08 »
I do recommend spending a little more, better paints last longer and are easier to work with! Just letting everyone know, I will be checking on the 2k primers. I am interested in learning more about gun spraying and would like to see a thread on that and bodywork!

Offline boomshakalaka

« Reply #52 on: Oct 28, 2009, 19:39:48 »
where can I get a wide range of 2k base colors?  I was originally planning to use montana spray paint because they offer a ton of cool colors, and I figured that 2 part rattle can primer that troybilt used will do a good job of protecting the less than tough base coat.

Offline boomshakalaka

« Reply #53 on: Oct 29, 2009, 02:30:50 »
Theres a carquest like 2 minutes from my house, never knew they mixed paint and put it in rattle cans. 

Offline boomshakalaka

« Reply #54 on: Oct 30, 2009, 03:45:15 »
So I thought the rain would be gone tomorrow, but weather.com says its gonna rain all day.  Is it a bad idea to lay paint while its raining out? (Id be in my garage obviously)  Is the humidity in the air going to cause big problems?

Offline boomshakalaka

« Reply #55 on: Oct 31, 2009, 17:27:48 »
if your spraying anything that doesnt have a hardener in it it will "blush", if your using 2k primer, then regular base coat (base coat wont blush), then 2k clear coat then you will be fine.  if your worried about the base coat blushing just heat the tank with a hair dryer to take the moisture out of the primer from it being in the damp air then spray a coat of base coat then hit it with the hair dryer again and keep doing that till its coated completely (usually about 3 even coats).  ive never seen base coat blush but ive always sprayed in a booth.....

great, thanks.  I didnt hear back so I just went ahead and sprayed.  It seemed to have come out fine, I got a few runs, hoepfully I can sand them down without breaking through the primer.

Offline boomshakalaka

« Reply #56 on: Oct 31, 2009, 18:56:22 »
actually I just laid the primer down.  I still need to see about getting car quest to mix me some paint, I think I know the color Im going to go with.  Its called cappuccino frost metallic and came on the 2000-2005 impalas.

Offline boomshakalaka

« Reply #57 on: Oct 31, 2009, 20:11:10 »
ya that was my plan of attack, however I wasnt sure if I should wet or dry sand it.  Thanks for the tips.

And ya I was kinda thinking of maybe leaning towards more of an off white instead of this really really light gray, but I think I like the gray better.  I have to figure out what Im gonna do for stripes or pinstriping or whatever.

Offline boomshakalaka

« Reply #58 on: Nov 03, 2009, 18:13:14 »
ok, so I found a carquest paint shop that will mix paint and put it in a rattle can.  Its the only one that does it anywhere around and its an hour away, so Im trying to figure out if its worth it.  I gave them a call and asked a few questions.  They said that they dont mix in any hardener.  Does this sound right?  If its just an aerosol enamel paint, then whats the difference between it and rustoleum, krylon, or montana?  Also they said that they dont have the same brand clear but just the off the shelf ones in spray cans.  Wouldnt I be better off going with this stuff for my clear: http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm  ?

sorry I know Im flooding this thread with questions, but I just want to get everything right since its my first time doing this.

Offline JRK5892

• The Powder Pro
« Reply #59 on: Nov 03, 2009, 18:26:40 »
i was just typing that! ha ha ha that 2k looks to be ligit stuff man! i was blown away by troys scoot in it...
Joe
"your life is an occasion, Stand up to it"
www.thepowderpro.com

recent builds: Hd street bob, TX cafe, KZ bratt, Goldwing tour, bratt wing, st fighter, road king, vriago bobber, chop, FXD, 1200 sporty, 1200xl sporty, GSXR, Royal enfield.. and more