79 CB750K RCB Clone-ish. On the road.

Re: 79 CB750K RCB Clone-ish

Ive been doing allot of detailing with how I want my wires ran and how Im going to mount my seat. Problem is with the seat, its about 1" too narrow just to sit on the frame. As it is the sides are stretched out quite a bit and this is about as far back as the seat goes with clearance in mind for the rear fender. (JUST got myself a glass of "Blackbush") But the seat is quite tight, All I need to do is make some brackets that will let me screw it on to some OEM mounts.

Whats everyone think about the idea of stretching an OEM tank to the front edge of the seat? Seans awful busy at RCC right so in the mean time my mind wanders.

Oh yea, I doubled the holes in my rotor as per suggestion a LONG time ago.

Picture035.jpg

Honda-RCB1000-1976.jpg

I "could" also stretch the seat too...

And one of me:

Picture036.jpg

I'm using some long plyers to reach my computer mouse to take the picture.

So what do you guys think?

Yeah I think a tank stretch would suit really well! As for your seat, have you thought about splitting it and widening it to suit? Shouldn't be too hard, you can do it!

It will be stupid easy to widen ,thats what Im going to do. Even thinking about covering it in CF for looks.

Im going to have a closer look at my spare tank and see how bad it would be to stretch. Make some cardboard templates first and GO!

you could scab on some fiber glass easy. How often do people call you Willson from House

have you thought about mounting the tank further back. looks like the RCB is moved back

dcmspikes said:
have you thought about mounting the tank further back. looks like the RCB is moved back

Didn't think of it, tried it, its not right... But thanks for the idea!

Looking for some good used shocks or respectable new ones. Recommendations/ part numbers? ebay searches?

how about these?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Motorcycle-shocks-BLACK-CB-GS-Vmax-Cafe-Racer-Harley_W0QQitemZ130391478536QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1e5bf01108

At the very least with the tank, I will make a fiberglass extension for it.

havent used them but they look to be fairly legit! and they look kick butt mounted!
maybe if you read some of the feedback on them youll get an idea.

They look spiffy but apparently they need some work; softer springs unless you're in the 300lb range and more damping unless you a 100 lbs.....and have softer springs. Also be prepared to either make or commission a new lower clevis.....I've seen pics a at least two failures of that particular part.

I've seen them torn apart and they look ok internally though there's no ground broken. You're not getting Ohlins for the price point but with that in mind and some tweeking...they beat the hell out of 30 year old CB900 shocks.

Kiley just hooked me up with some kick ass vintage shocks. Updates when they show up.

I got most of my rear end figured out brake linkage and all, need to make a new brake stay. I think I'm going to remove the guard on my sprocket and buff the gold paint off.

Picture037.jpg

Its probably a good idea to make a fork brace if I'm going to run a FG fender, right?

Thanks, seen it before but it is a nice bike.

Progress update:

The bearings are in, I wont put my upper tree on until I have the bike outside, the powder is so tight I will never get the forks off again without serious force.

Got my controls done, Cleaned everything inside and out. I wire brushed my levers, they feel much grippier now without the paint (Remember I ride all weather), new grips and signals too. I will run the wires once I have it outside so I know exactly where I want my wires ran.

Alas the tank... I made a fiberglass negative of one of my tanks. From that I will make a copy of the inside and use that to extend the looks of the tank. What does everyone think of the positioning? The steel tank is sitting about 2" up on the ass end and you can see the black FG taped on top right now.

Picture038.jpg

Picture039.jpg

been doin' a little more messin around, I got my fluid in my forks. (Cool little trick I learned from an old guy, if you don't have a allen key, you can use a bolt upside down and just stick two nuts on it, one for your wrench and the other to stop your first one from threading on or off!)

I spray bombed my my tail black to help visualize everything, stuck my side panel on for the hell of it and painted a little foam before i threw it on my seat...

Picture040.jpg

It looks a little like a race bike to me...

I use the same trick with a bolt too only i welded an old socket to it, so now it's a "yamaha special tool".

Soo, a little more time. The seat is 2" wider, I have a new rim and tire, waiting on spokes, they are on order, building a rear fender from FG, removed the front fender to reveal the support inside. I may make a FG fender for the front too... I found that my Jugs had a crack in them form wear from the the timing chain. I'm on the fence about trying to weld the crack or converting my engine to a 900 from the better parts from a 900C engine. I'm about half done making my shock mounts for my swinger and.... Still working on it.

Picture067.jpg

I'm mounting the head light fairing more forward and lower, I'm thinking about making some little wings that come back to the tank form the fairing its self. Also working on a 4 to 4 exhaust.

Picture065.jpg

Still workin on it when time and funds permit.

I laced my wheel last night, it was EASY! Just memorise the pattern and go. I still need to torque and true it.

DSC_0092.jpg

The seat it half mounted. I still need to properley fix the tail to the seat then find some batting and make a cover. Also need to make a few little brackets too.

DSC_0093.jpg

Another of the seat. Also with a 900C engine case in there. I bought the complete engine in pieces to use for parts and build up my 750. Now I think I may try to repair the 750 and build the 900 to a 1000+ in a year or two.

DSC_0097.jpg

I can haz klipons?

YES I CAN!

DSC_0094.jpg

THE MUFFLERS! THANK YOU PLOSSRW!

Before...

What my old pipes looked like...

DSC_0096.jpg

After and over all:

DSC_0097.jpg

Whatta yall' think?

On a side subject, I'm going to buy a Bushmills 16 year tomorow.

Anyone gotta suggestion for mirrors? Im running bar end signals and the OEM just look bad.

Back
Top Bottom