POST A PIC OF YOUR FIGHTER.....

mine
120p2d3.jpg

2v2gz6w.jpg

2efqfkw.jpg

15x0j6d.jpg

I dug my 636 out of storage, the beginning.

23983_1440815986447_1414479908_1211250_5258519_n.jpg

As she sets now.

35994_1510697413439_1414479908_1384269_2754896_n.jpg

Got another subframe, fixed what was left of the plastics & rattle canned them white. Bought Dunlop 616's & softened the suspension for light dirt work. Made a one off exhaust from a '04 header (no cat) & a cut down GILD. Used an '04 top triple with XS risers to mount up dirty bars with a bar end mirror & Speigel brake lines. Cheapo headlight from ebay. Replaced random screwed up stuff like broken brake rearset & waiting on an analog tach, renntec rack & better lights to finish her off for the time bein'.

She's ugly, but does everything damn well, I love my 636!

I rode her from Kansas to Nova Scotia & back in 9 days (16 days overall, stayed in Hali for a week) but that's a whole other story... :)

Hey fellas, haven't been over here in a while. Got an email about some site changes and thought I'd check them out. Since I'm here, may as well share what I've been doing on my fighter. It's not your typical fighter per say since it's a '72 CB500 but it doesn't really fit into the cafe dept either. Mods so far include ported head, 650 cam, swingarm extended 4", lots of ttabs cut off, clipons, 750F front end swap, CBR controls & master cyl, neck raked a few * to make up for the taller 750 tubes, custom tach face with Betty Paige, bicycle speedo, 750F tank, , replacement top tree, CB400 rear wheel, hell I know I'm forgetting a ton of stuff. The pics show it with 2 different tails. One is a foil wrapped foam mold I was going to glass and the other is a CBR1000RR tail that I borrowed to check for fitment. I've got a race tail from a R1 on the way. Got it cheap so I could cut it up & make it fit. Still lots of work to do but it already turns heads when I pull it out of the garage.

Nice cafe (that ain't a fighter IMO).

I hope you can get the R1 tail to look better than the CBR - it's huge :eek:

hillsy said:
Nice cafe (that ain't a fighter IMO).

I hope you can get the R1 tail to look better than the CBR - it's huge :eek:

Yep, the CBR tail is huge. It needed about 2 inches taken out of the middle to fit right. Buddy wanted $75 for it and it was too much to spend for me to F up so I found the R1 tail for less than $30. No worries about cutting it in half now. It will work out well when I'm done with it. I can understand you not seeing it as a fighter but it's not so much cafe either. The clipons are mounted above the tree, no rearsets, stretched swingarm, and a rocket tail. All kinda go against the typical "cafe". Noone ever said that a fighter had to start life as a crotch rocket. Not many folks rake either style of bike either, not that I did too much of that... only about 4 or 5*. It doesn't really fit any particular category but it's my creation and an extension of my personality and creativity. I'd like to get rid of the "cafe" looking 7" headlight and go with a set of 2 projectors on the front too but I can't find any that fit the tight budget I'm on right now. I may just fab up some kind of windscreen type thing that fits on top of the huge headlight for now. I could keep going on but I don't want to clutter up the thread too much. Feel free to check out my build log over on TCU.
http://www.thechopperunderground.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42328

olds-cool said:
....Noone ever said that a fighter had to start life as a crotch rocket......

Actually, that's the main criteria for a fighter - a sports bike that has had the tupperware removed ;)

Anyway, you call it what you like - there's been a lot of watering down and style blending in the fighter/cafe arena of late, so who knows....it might even be a cruiser ;D

Looks good, BTW ;)

You know it must be a fighter when you need a headlight guard to protect against ambushes!!!

09-20-10017.jpg

09-03-10077.jpg

its not much of a fighter, but its had most of the usual bits removed...
36892_1326489046626_1362928220_3080.jpg

P1030190.jpg

P1030191.jpg

P1030194.jpg

^chicken strips!

working on picking up an hid upgrade up front and some integrated signals in the back with some carbon fiber planned for christmas that will help get rid of that breadbox for the intake.... maybe a re-spray of the spare plastics i've got over the winter

Gray

Actually, I think the X1 is one of the purest factory fighters ever built. (Add the first generation Z1000 (03-06) and the last two generations of SpeedTriple to that list), Just my opinion. Great bike, it is a Millinium Edition?

BadKaw said:
Actually, I think the X1 is one of the purest factory fighters ever built. (Add the first generation Z1000 (03-06) and the last two generations of SpeedTriple to that list), Just my opinion. Great bike, it is a Millinium Edition?

Thanks for that compliment, I feel the same way about the x1's and z1000's (the z1000 was the only other bike I really lusted after other than the Buell). I've seen, though, that Buells aren't received very well in some places and they catch a ton of flak about their origins. The great thing is I go to bike nights and I'm the only X1 in a sea of cbr's gsxr's and harleys, and when I crank it up I get a bunch of stares. I love it, and while its a bit temperamental, I wouldn't trade it's awesome handling and power and feel for nothing. To answer your question, yes its a Millennium Edition...number 178 of 800, built around valentines day in 2000 (based on the signatures of Buell employees on the undersides of the tank and fender plastics.
downsize_1.jpg

downsize.jpg

I'm currently personalizing it with a custom rattle can paint job (on a spare set of plastics)
BuellPaint1.jpg

It will be slightly more "fighter-ized" when I'm done with it.

Gray

i test rode a kawi Z1000 and my brother took out the vmax... have to say that z1000 stole my heart! LOVE THAT BIKE!!!!

Here's my '85 ZX900 that I'm bringing back ... fighter'ish at the moment just cause I'm looking for a better mid fairing (mine is busted into 3-pcs).

After 2 months of work its back on-the-road and running great. Will pull apart and re-paint the bodywork (original scheme) this winter to complete the resto.

Back
Top Bottom