www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: My Suzi T500 Project *New Video*  (Read 176262 times)

Offline johnu

• DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: My Suzi T500 Project
« Reply #50 on: Jan 25, 2011, 00:02:18 »
Ok guys, not much to report as I've been busy on other things like work and such!  I made a cardboard temp for the swingarm mounting point but that's about it.  Nothing scientific about the design but I think it looks right.  I think I am going to try and mock up the forks in the stock head tube as on my cad drawing it looks like with how I have canted the frame it will work out to about 24* of rake.
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2011, 00:06:56 by johnu »

Offline johnu

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #51 on: Jan 26, 2011, 23:40:51 »
Ok I changed my mind!  I am now going to go with 16gauge formed sheet for the swingarm mounts with bosses weld through the sheet.  I was going to use 5mm plate as the mounts.

Offline 50gary

• Under the Limelight
« Reply #52 on: Jan 27, 2011, 00:56:20 »
Good, more like a race bike.  Remember, overkill is good.  With the plate mounted S/A the rigidity is limited to the strength of the steel plate not supporting geometry.
  I would weld the formed sheet only on the sides of the frame tubes, not on the curved surface of the tubes.  I think that creates a stress riser?   Any engineers out there?
    Cheers, 50gary
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2011, 01:01:17 by 50gary »
Short track speedskating, cycling, guitars, motorcycles, juggling dynamite. I was born to laugh at Tornadoes.

Offline johnu

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #53 on: Jan 27, 2011, 11:33:18 »
You are correct about not welding the parts that contact the round part of the tube.  In all the books I have on frame building they suggest this.  I've seen examples of how the frame cracks if you weld this area.  Funnily enough though I think if you bronze weld the parts it's not an issue.

Offline Erskine

« Reply #54 on: Jan 27, 2011, 19:12:21 »
Remember, overkill is good.

I like the cut of your jib!:)
The GT500 I had back in the day was made out of rubber.
In fact the steering damper I put on it acted as a stressed member.;)

Offline zooke581

• Sundial Moto Sports
« Reply #55 on: Jan 27, 2011, 22:24:01 »
Ok I changed my mind!  I am now going to go with 16gauge formed sheet for the swingarm mounts with bosses weld through the sheet.  I was going to use 5mm plate as the mounts.

I was going this route but the pieces I cut off the GS500E frame to use would have put it outside my frame rails and I didn't want to modify those.  So I will use the plate with a pivot and use the motor to stiffen it as the factory did.

Offline johnu

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #56 on: Jan 31, 2011, 21:14:53 »
Ok guys a little more progress!  I got the swingarm pivot mounting brackets made out of 16 gauge.  Had to hand form everything and it seems to have come out pretty well so far.  Hope to get them welded in this week some time.

Offline zooke581

• Sundial Moto Sports
« Reply #57 on: Jan 31, 2011, 22:23:47 »
Those are nice and actually look like they would work on my setup.  Especially as they fit towards the outside as mine have to.   Will they incorportate the rear engine mounts as well?

Offline 50gary

• Under the Limelight
« Reply #58 on: Jan 31, 2011, 23:53:25 »
Good job, that's just about what I thought. I might have gone one gauge thicker on the material 14?  I'm watching to see how you are going to make this S/A pivot square with the world?  I consider the Swingarm pivot the most important piece, being  the center of any bike. This is fun stuff.
  Cheers, 50gary
Short track speedskating, cycling, guitars, motorcycles, juggling dynamite. I was born to laugh at Tornadoes.

Offline johnu

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #59 on: Feb 01, 2011, 10:50:12 »
Those are nice and actually look like they would work on my setup.  Especially as they fit towards the outside as mine have to.   Will they incorportate the rear engine mounts as well?
Indeed they will incorporate the engine mount, that will be added one the parts are welded in place.