www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

OUR ADS ARE FROM SUPPORTERS OF THE COMMUNITY - CONSIDER TURNING YOUR AD-BLOCKER OFF FOR WWW.DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: My Suzi T500 Project *New Video*  (Read 234407 times)

Offline johnu

• DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: My Suzi T500 Project
« Reply #90 on: Mar 10, 2011, 20:48:18 »
Bottom end ready for re-assembly.  I am going to be doing it with my 16yr old so I have to wait on "his schedule"!  Got to teach the lad these things so it's worth the wait.

Offline Wingspan

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Um...what?
    • T500 Build pics
My Suzi T500 Project
« Reply #91 on: Mar 10, 2011, 21:11:35 »
Keep notes of any weirdness on reassembly, I'll be stuffing the guts back in mine soon. :)
1975 Suzuki T500
2008 Suzuki DL1000

States I've ridden my motorcycle to:

Offline johnu

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #92 on: Mar 17, 2011, 00:07:13 »
Started on the assembly today.  Realised I have a seal missing for the clutch pushrod so I need to get one of those along with a couple of other items.  Tried several Suzuki places online but I can't justify paying almost $20 shipping for three seals and a washer.  Anyone now a good online source for T500 parts with reasonable shipping costs?  I got all my other parts on ebay but I can't find these items on there.

If you have a keen eye you can probably see where I shortened the back of the final drive cover and crankcase to make it easier to install the engine.  When I modified my frame for the new swingarm it made getting the engine in and out difficult, hence the mod.

Wingspan, kickstart shaft was the only tricky part of the rebuild.  I couldn't get it tensioned correctly by following the shop manual info.  Not really sure how I got it to work out but it is right now.

Offline Titan performance

• Titan cafe racer builders.
    • Titan Performance
« Reply #93 on: Mar 17, 2011, 15:32:07 »
Those shiney black cases look cool Johnu.............

Offline johnu

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #94 on: Mar 17, 2011, 16:58:52 »
Thankyou.  Maybe you guys can help me, as soon as I put the igniton rotor back on the crankshaft the crank does not rotate smoothly.  I assume it is something to do with the magnets?

Offline saywhat

« Reply #95 on: Mar 17, 2011, 17:37:14 »
I wish I could get parts that cheap, all of my stuff is discontinued and expensive.

Edit: Saw that is was just shipping cost... that does seem high.

Offline CobraRad

« Reply #96 on: Mar 17, 2011, 23:13:05 »
I'm watching this one go together myself... I'm right behind ya, waiting for my crankshaft to come back from rebuild.

I wasn't sure I'd like the black side covers... but they look really cool!  I think it's going to look fantastic on the bike... have you come up with a paint scheme? 
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline johnu

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #97 on: Mar 18, 2011, 11:14:12 »
I'm watching this one go together myself... I'm right behind ya, waiting for my crankshaft to come back from rebuild.

I wasn't sure I'd like the black side covers... but they look really cool!  I think it's going to look fantastic on the bike... have you come up with a paint scheme? 

Where are you buying engine parts for your rebuild?
Here is my original color scheme but it's likely to change as I go (the frame color is most likely to change to gloss black):
The 636 forks I'm using are silver so I will probably go with silver swingarm then the frame in candy orange powder. Wheels will be gloss black.  Tank and tail unit to be off white (creme) pearl with candy orange stripes down the center.  I would like to get the original Suzuki "S" in there somewhere also, most likely on either side of the gas tank in black.  Expansions I intend to leave unpainted with just a clearcoat.

Offline johnu

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #98 on: Mar 19, 2011, 21:02:20 »
I wish I could get parts that cheap, all of my stuff is discontinued and expensive.

Edit: Saw that is was just shipping cost... that does seem high.

I've done my time walking around autojumbles looking for rare parts for old Brit bikes with my dad who restores old bikes in the UK.  Part of the attraction of the Suzuki was the availability of spares.  I didn't figure on the extortionate shipping costs however!

Offline Wingspan

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Um...what?
    • T500 Build pics
« Reply #99 on: Mar 19, 2011, 21:26:44 »
Where are you buying engine parts for your rebuild?

What sort of things are you looking for?  I buy most of my OEM Suzuki parts from http://www.servicehonda.com.  Don't let the name fool you, they carry parts for just about everything.  They've also got the parts fiche online, even for bikes as old as ours.  When I've needed items that were no longer available from Suzuki, I usually call Paul Miller Motorcycle at (860)-828-1771.  There are some mixed stories out there about Paul Miller, but I've purchased from him many times both directly and through his ebay auctions and have had no issues.

Those two sources and ebay have provided the bulk of my OEM parts.
1975 Suzuki T500
2008 Suzuki DL1000

States I've ridden my motorcycle to: