'Faux' z1 (KZ-ZXR)

Drewski

"Invictus Maneo" - I remain unvanquished!
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
O'k, it's Thursday afternoon and I'm bored so I'll toss this out there for ya to kick around.

Here is my current project. It's a KZ1000 with ZX10R & 6R parts on it. The swing arm is JMC unit.

Started out like this...
BikePhotos1036.jpg

Came home looking like this...
7774Kawis001.jpg

Back to the shop looking like this.
KZZXRProject010.jpg

I was going for the Modern Classic look, combining the old 70's/80's superbike style with the modern running gear of the 21st century.

Only thing is... what is it? Is it a Fighter, or is it a Cafe? People ask and I'm really not sure what to say. I know it doesn't TRULY matter, but I would like some of your imput!

There's more done to it and with any luck, it should be rolling this spring.

Thanks for your comments!

Drewski

Re: KZZXR

thebronze said:
I would class it as KOOL....But I think it's a "modern superbike" ;D

Thanks! Ya, the more I bounce this around in my head, the more I agree with your evaluation. I think a Fighter needs to be an ex-sportbike (Gixxer) or at least a more modern model (Bandit?) than a 70's machine.

Here are a couple more pics...

KZZXR004.jpg

KZZXR002.jpg

KZZXR005.jpg

KZZXR006.jpg

Well, I'd call it a street fighter, simply because it holds many similarities to a Bandit (which seems to be a standard for StreetFighters).

Actually, I think your's is a more high tech version of my beast:

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=1964.0

Druro said:
Well, I'd call it a street fighter, simply because it holds many similarities to a Bandit (which seems to be a standard for StreetFighters).

Actually, I think your's is a more high tech version of my beast:

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=1964.0

Hey, thanks for the opinion! That's what I'm lookin' for!

I think your Suzuki is really cool! It really changes the look when you swap the front end and the brakes! I love what you've done!

I wouldn't think of mine as any more high tech than yours!

I look forward to checkin' out your bike in the spring some time!

Drewski said:
Only thing is... what is it? Is it a Fighter, or is it a Cafe? People ask and I'm really not sure what to say.

Just tell them its a Drewski ;D

It does seem to straddle a few styles and because of that it is pretty unique. But if I had to pick one term I'd have to call it a superbike. Streetfighter to me always conjures up a picture of a more modern shaped bike with a lot of angular lines and a larger bulbous tank. Your's has more clean classic lines which, to me, make it more of a superbike. Whatever you call it, it is one beautiful bike, great job.

BTW, love how the tank turned out, beautiful.

Do you have a pic of your gauge setup?

I'd call it stunning.

So you have a headlight and slicks... Street or track?

That is a very nice job! And, that is a Streetfighter!!! Go back to the 1st few issues of Streetfighters magazine or early BSH, the fightered bikes weren't Sportbikes, they were UJMs and Muscle Bikes (which were just big bore UJMs anyway)

CAll it whatever you want... I like it!!..
Whenever I see these Street Fighters, it makes me wanna build one...DAMN...
Anyone wanna trade a cb450 bike for a Street Fighter???... ;D

Ease said:
I'd call it stunning.

So you have a headlight and slicks... Street or track?

Street!

The used up slicks are only on there to protect the rims while the project is completed! I do get a few puzzled looks from folks! I think the frame would 'pretzel' itself with slicks on the track! The frame is braced, but not enough for that kind of riding.

HerrDeacon said:
Just tell them its a Drewski ;D

It does seem to straddle a few styles and because of that it is pretty unique. But if I had to pick one term I'd have to call it a superbike. Streetfighter to me always conjures up a picture of a more modern shaped bike with a lot of angular lines and a larger bulbous tank. Your's has more clean classic lines which, to me, make it more of a superbike. Whatever you call it, it is one beautiful bike, great job.

BTW, love how the tank turned out, beautiful.

Do you have a pic of your gauge setup?

Thanks for your insights and comments!

I'll post some pics of the gauges soon!

locO leoN said:
CAll it whatever you want... I like it!!..
Whenever I see these Street Fighters, it makes me wanna build one...DAMN...
Anyone wanna trade a cb450 bike for a Street Fighter???... ;D

Funny isn't it? I see your CB350/450/500/750 etc. cafe bikes and lust after them!! I guess we want what we don't/can't have!! There probably isn't a garage big enough to hold all the bikes I would own if money wasn't an issue! ;D

Drewski said:
Funny isn't it? I see your CB350/450/500/750 etc. cafe bikes and lust after them!! I guess we want what we don't/can't have!! There probably isn't a garage big enough to hold all the bikes I would own if money wasn't an issue! ;D

Now aint that the truth!!... ;D

78kz said:
She's a beauty no matter what you call her.
Nice work.

Thanks 78KayZed!

I can't take credit for all the work on this machine! I give the vision, aquire many of the bits and pieces and pay the bills! Most of the assembly and fabricating credit goes to Ryan @ Rider's Choice in Mississauga. I don't have the mad skills (courage?) to fab something like this! I wish I did!

My next project will have a more 'personal' touch! Promise!! I'll probably take a decade to finish though!

Saw this KZ650 on KZR. Streetfighter or not?

Bio:"ZX7 front forks with cop 18 in. wheel, GPZ rear with cop wheel and 150 and " I've Got The Power " with Yoshimura pistons, Yosh.cams, Yosh. header and 29mm Smoothbores and a ported head."

78kz said:
Saw this KZ650 on KZR. Streetfighter or not?

Bio:"ZX7 front forks with cop 18 in. wheel, GPZ rear with cop wheel and 150 and " I've Got The Power " with Yoshimura pistons, Yosh.cams, Yosh. header and 29mm Smoothbores and a ported head."

That's so sweet!

It's the type of bike that at first glance you see it's a KZ650, then the more you look the more you see!

I love the rear suspension conversion!

O'k... it's snowing out today and work is slow... time for an update.

This is the new instrument package. It's from Germany. $$!!

KZZXR08007.jpg

The new tank mods. I think they turned out o'k. They're not as efficient as I had hoped. I needed to use a bigger hammer!!

KZZXR08003.jpg

Here's the new seat installed. It still needs some tweeking, but it fits pretty good.

KZZXR08004.jpg

Rear 3/4 view. It's nearly ready to roll. Some wiring of turn signals, aluminum brackets, shims, various adjustments and tweeking. We'll probably run it on the dyno late next week. Woohoo!

KZZXR08002.jpg

Back
Top Bottom