76 CB360, Cherry Bomb at Barber's

Re: New Dual O2 sensors, 76 CB360, the Pig

Can anyone recommend a decent quality mic that will read down to .001mm. That wont break the bank.
My crappy digital only reads to .01mm - .0005inch.

trek97 said:
Can anyone recommend a decent quality mic that will read down to .001mm. That wont break the bank.
What do you mean by mic? Calipers?

ordered a couple "experimental" standard type adjustable needles to play with.

fingers crossed ::)

New Dual O2 sensors, 76 CB360, the Pig

trek97 said:
yep sorry
I have some Mitutoyo I can send ya. I get them from my mom when light shines through the tip. They're dial though, not digital.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

trek97 said:

Not sure that my Micrometers, read down that far. That's half a thou and mine are marked in thousandths and can be interpolated to 1/2 a graduation, but it's all about the feel.

If you have the dimensions of your current needles I can check my tables of Mikuni needle dimensions to see if there's anything close. I need overall length, length to where the taper starts, base (root) diameter, and diameter every 5mm from the top down to do a look up. I would expect to be able to find a fatter/longer Mikuni needle that you can use to turn down.

Honda (Keihin) slide carbs typically have a 2.60mm needle jet and needles typically are around the same 2.518mm that Mikuni are. Worst case scenario, you can use 7 series needles with 3.0mm root diameter as raw material

deviant said:
I have some Mitutoyo I can send ya. I get them from my mom when light shines through the tip. They're dial though, not digital.

Thanks bro but for now...no dont send them. I looked at amazon and they are pretty $$$.

teazer said:
Not sure that my Micrometers, read down that far. That's half a thou and mine are marked in thousandths and can be interpolated to 1/2 a graduation, but it's all about the feel.

If you have the dimensions of your current needles I can check my tables of Mikuni needle dimensions to see if there's anything close. I need overall length, length to where the taper starts, base (root) diameter, and diameter every 5mm from the top down to do a look up. I would expect to be able to find a fatter/longer Mikuni needle that you can use to turn down.

Honda (Keihin) slide carbs typically have a 2.60mm needle jet and needles typically are around the same 2.518mm that Mikuni are. Worst case scenario, you can use 7 series needles with 3.0mm root diameter as raw material

I ordered a couple Keihins to play with for now. If I need more info I will contact you. Thank you very much.
Also trying to avoid buying a mini lathe...for now.

trek97 said:
Thanks bro but for now...no dont send them. I looked at amazon and they are pretty $$$.
i have three sets. One still in an original case. They cost me nothing, but if you don't want a set that's cool.

deviant said:
i have three sets. One still in an original case. They cost me nothing, but if you don't want a set that's cool.

I will text my address! right now.

teazer said:

I have a 'cheap' micrometer reading to 1/1000 of mm (0.001mm), used to work at a place where standard tolerance was 0.003mm on some parts.
Turning needles isn't easy on small sizes used in 360, probably easiest thing is to use fine emery and polish to size.
The Kei-Hin needle has a 'step' to locate in slide then reduces in diameter.
Problem then is it's real difficult to get two identical (been there ;) )
Anyway, measured a few needles
Major dia, 2.910~2.921mm (roughly four thousandths of inch, 0.004" variation so not critical)
'root' daimeter2.435mm new.
Tip diameter, approx 1.5mm from end in no particular order
1.115~6mm (403302 needle) x2
1.021~1.028mm (404004 needle), x3, obviously one of the three is worn
1.010~ 1.020mm (404002) x7 variations due to wear
Tip diameter of 'aftermarket' D44Z (x6) showed greatest variation, 1.996~1 1.025mm
I have more needles but got 'bored' measuring them
Oh, BTW, a 1/1000mm micrometer will be a vernier type, extra scale around barrel.
Parallax issues make reading slightly more difficult. (I've never seen a direct reading 1/1000mm micrometer)

crazypj said:
I have a 'cheap' micrometer reading to 1/1000 of mm (0.001mm), used to work at a place where standard tolerance was 0.003mm on some parts.
Turning needles isn't easy on small sizes used in 360, probably easiest thing is to use fine emery and polish to size.
The Kei-Hin needle has a 'step' to locate in slide then reduces in diameter.
Problem then is it's real difficult to get two identical (been there ;) )
Anyway, measured a few needles
Major dia, 2.910~2.921mm (roughly four thousandths of inch, 0.004" variation so not critical)
'root' daimeter2.435mm new.
Tip diameter, approx 1.5mm from end in no particular order
1.115~6mm (403302 needle) x2
1.021~1.028mm (404004 needle), x3, obviously one of the three is worn
1.010~ 1.020mm (404002) x7 variations due to wear
Tip diameter of 'aftermarket' D44Z (x6) showed greatest variation, 1.996~1 1.025mm
I have more needles but got 'bored' measuring them
Oh, BTW, a 1/1000mm micrometer will be a vernier type, extra scale around barrel.
Parallax issues make reading slightly more difficult. (I've never seen a direct reading 1/1000mm micrometer)

Wow thanks PJ. Hopefully Deviants caliper will arrive any day.

Naysayers may hate on it, I say "keep it to yourselves fuckers" LOL...I see NOTHING but promise! 8)

A clip adjustment, couple shims, trimming, ,time, a heap of patience, trial and error style science.
this is looking good to me already.
11494-270516165544.jpeg

crazypj said:
.....Turning needles isn't easy on small sizes used in 360, probably easiest thing is to use fine emery and polish to size.

That and a cheap pillar drill plus a "generous" helping of patience is all you need. I have "machined" a couple of sets of needles and PJ is correct that getting the same is hard and I would hate to check them on a decent sized optical comparator where the inaccuracies in taper would really show up.

I worked on the basis that close to what is needed is better than stock even if it isn't perfect.

teazer said:
That and a cheap pillar drill plus a "generous" helping of patience is all you need. I have "machined" a couple of sets of needles and PJ is correct that getting the same is hard and I would hate to check them on a decent sized optical comparator where the inaccuracies in taper would really show up.

I worked on the basis that close to what is needed is better than stock even if it isn't perfect.

Thank you, thats all i got. I have no doubt it may be crude. As long as its effective.

trek97 said:

you will have trouble getting repeatable accuracy with standard mic,in fact you cannot get an accurate measure at all much less down to under .0005'',the anvil and spindle edges are sharp and penetrate the surface a tiny bit,because it is impossible to get them to have perfect flat face contact on a taper,see ?
boom accuracy gone, you see the anvils are not shaped correctly to measure a taper you would be much better off fabbing up or repurposing somethung into go nogo gauges
for example a large enough mikuni standard vm mainjet
you pick out one the when slid over the needle VERY GENTLY and this also will take a precise repeated feel by you but you are already going thru that so you know what i am saying
anyway gently slid over until it just sticks on the taper,better yet just tilted up and gravity yanks it down till it stops on its own ,but it needs to be grtit free whenever done like this
the distance it travels dertermines the diameter that jet is for
i dunno does any of that make sense ?
but other wise with a mike you want to have a specializsd tool for a taper look em up there are all kinds of spindle and anvil shapes designed especially for measuring sabnormal shit
for example i think you want a ball end on the spindle and a vee-block on the anvil
the vee block on the anvil however needs to be a ball-vee if you can grasp that
and of course you could fab your own to fit up to any mike but have a look at speciality measuring shit to get idears

you can easily test the viability of any jet-gauges as i have promoted
i do not know how accurate pr repeatable it is ,it is just what popped up in my "brain" but try it on 2 known new CLEAN CLEAM CLEAN same spec needles let gavity do it just tilt it up til the jet slides down the neddle and stops
i would be very interested in your test resilts
once you strat doing comparative measures and get a set of guges layed out you can throw the fucking mikes back in the toolbox and lock the drawer
do not get stuck on trying to hit numbers on a micrometer unless you have specialized tips ,its a fools mission,
it aint gonna happen

and if you do get micrometer tips then by all means you must have digital micrometers for one important reason the resetable zero function learn to use it (that is make it a habbit to do so)to do the math for you

Back
Top Bottom