I want to eliminate the stock ignition switch

caferacer86

I was wanting to eliminate the stock ignition switch on my 1979 kz750 twin. I was thinking about moving it under the seat or somewhere that it wasn't obvious. I was thinking about using a simple toggle switch. Has anybody done this before?

I completely rewired my friend's kz550 and got rid of the keyed ignition. We wired the ignition switch to a toggle switch mounted into one of the bungs where the side covers used to be. It works like a treat.

This is the wiring diagram I used as a template, along with a full colour version of the stock wiring diagram which allowed us to narrow down which wires were which without too much trouble. So long as you have the switch wired after your main fuse and before your accessory fuses everything should be golden.
Custom_Motorcycle_Wiring_Diagram_by_Evan_Fell.png

That's a neat little wiring diagram but the tail light is wrong. It can't be tied in AFTER the on-off light switch. If you do, there's no brake light unless the lights are ON. Feed it from the other side of that light switch and it will work.

I see what you mean, but again - it was used only as a guideline. The entire motorcycle was wired using 2 switches: one to turn all the electronics on/off, and a momentary switch for the starter motor. For us, as soon as the bike was switched "on", all the lights came on.

i think the diagram for the taillight is actually correct.. it would be a dual stage bulb... 1 lead for the lights on and the second lead for the brake light...just not labeled correctly..

nukem1r said:
i think the diagram for the taillight is actually correct.. it would be a dual stage bulb... 1 lead for the lights on and the second lead for the brake light...just not labeled correctly..

Yes and no. It is indeed a dual stage bulb, but you'll notice that the brake switch is also wired after the on/off switch. Not a big deal. I would just put the fuse ahead of the switch, and then pull the lead from the brake switch from between the fuse and the on/off switch. Everything else looks to be in order on that diagram.

Well lookie here. I checked the URL on the image and the guy acknowledges the brake light issue, and even has a corrected diagram:

Errata_fixed_Custom_Motorcycle_Wiring_Diagram_by_Evan_Fell.png

I should have been more explicit with my previous reply to make it clear that the brake light was the issue. It says that but it was slightly ambiguous.

Thanks for posting the corrected diagram.

yes if you have to leave lights off (low bat) or forget to turn the lights on you have no brake switch/lts.. just by pass on/off for b/lt sw...............joe@vcycle

I have a cl 350 and the ignition has three settings. Did you guys have the same? Any specifics on wiring? I actually don't even know what the third setting is. I tore everything apart before exploring it much.

Thanks,

Rob

Back
Top Bottom