Minimising switches

HondaCBGuy

W650_Jawa_comodo_gauche_1.jpg

Any hints on how to do this? What do I need to to have on the bars? Blinker, horn, Hi/Lo... anything else? How is everything waterproofed? What amperage do the switches need to be? What am I not considering? Can I ask any more questions in one post? Why would i want to? Will I shut up? Probably not......

You can skip the blinker and use hand signals (that's what I'm asuming the owner of the bike in the pic has done). As far as water proofing, there's little need. You're not gonna short anything running at 12V with a bit of water.

Blinkers, hi/lo and horn are all compulsory in Australia. Maybe the start button as well if I keep the starter, just for symmetry. Thanks Sonreir! How about the housing? I would like to fab it myself but I'm not up for creating something from stock. WAY beyond my capabilities (for now). Perhaps adapting something else. I think i need to spend a couple of hours scouring Bunnings for ideas. All ideas, hints, tips etc welcome...

Run a pair of relays - one for each bulb High and Low and that way only minimal power goes through that switch. You can do the same for the ignition run/kill switch and put a relay on that one too and on the horn. That way wiring can be pretty thin and less obtrusive.

A simple solution is an off road/dual sport switch. There's a few available and they are typically smaller than OEM switch blocks.

If you are an electrical whiz, you could arrange something with momentary push buttons set into each bar and use something like the motogadget M-unit. You could probably find some really low profile black buttons to set into black bars.

for h/lt on- off and h/l you can put a sw on the h/lt shell like old british bikes(lucas parts). there are several switch assemblies that are very cheap that can take care of h/l, horn ,kill or turn signals...either copies of wipac duo-con,tri-con or lucas or or italian cev- emgo makes all of the copies and all work/look fine...if in the usa i ditch the t/signals too for hand signals ...joe@ vcycle

IMG0553MoulinRouge.jpg

Here's another example of what I'm tryin to do. I'm not an electrical whiz, and I would like to keep everything in thumb reach and hands on the bars.
But thanks for the ideas!

Picture716.jpg

modified kill switch used for the start button- aluminum button instead of red plastic .......joe@vcycle

If you go really simple and have lights on all the time, that's one less switch.

Kill switch from a modern bike on the right bar or use a right switch block and convert starter button to kill switch.

No indicators so no switches there.

Hi/Lo through latching relays and a simple momentary push button set into the bars.

That would leave one kill switch on right bar and small button on left and that's it.

Horn, Hi/Lo & indicators are all necessary in Australia (or at least in NSW). I will run headlight on always purely from a safety aspect anyway. The kill switch could be anywhere but I would like it on the bars for a symettry aspect, one switch & one button on either side.

For some reason I managed to forget you're from New Sarf. Check your local Auto Electrical place for latching relays and look out for small waterproof momentary button switches and you could have a really neat and clean bar arrangement.

Nice and stealthy. Not cheap but it's all digital. Pity it can't be programmed at home though.

that motogadget m-unit is fuckin awesome. if i knew about that before I did my controls i def wouldve gone that route.

hell with perusing you local store, check out Newark. they're a commercial electronics component distributor; have everything under the sun for decent prices most the time.

Back
Top Bottom