Starter Delete Capacitor or Tiny Battery?

gmoore

Been Around the Block
I plan on eliminating the electric start on my 1979 Suzuki GS 750 and going kick start only.

should I go for a capacitor or a small dirtbike type battery? If i go capacitor, what size should I look at for a 750? same question for the battery I guess, what it the lowest a/h I should go so as to prevent overcharging and burnout.

I want to be able to run a tach light, speedo light, headlight, turn signals, brake light & electronic ignition. would a capacitor allow this?

Thanks guys!

Neither. You need a battery that's sufficient to power teh systems at low revs and large enough to not boil at higher engine speeds. Try an AGM.They tend to be slightly smaller for teh same amp hours.

A 3ah battery will boil and possibly explode. You can run a capacitor, as many vintage bikes (HD, Indian, etc) ran them. That said, you need to delete everything but the headlight and taillight (which also need to be able to be turned off when starting the bike) to really get it to work. And even then, a small inline battery will help. As Teazer said, your best bet is to pony up the cash for a small sealed unit with the highest ah rating as possible.

also the first battery I posted the link to is a 12v 5 ah battery, do I need something more like 8 ah? anything over that is way bigger than i was hoping to go.

thanks for the responses!

Back
Top Bottom