Cm400e Signals

49erRider

Ok so I'm having some issues with my CM400e. Mainly the turn signals not working. I pulled out the headlight today and everything looked fine but then again I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Is there a way to bypass the stock system or any advice on where to start? Bulbs looked fine.

Also I'm guessing the front brake cannot operate the tail light on this bike? Due to it being a drum brake. Is that correct?

On my CM400 my front brake lever does operate the brake light. There should be two wires coming out of the controls that operate that. on the stock system there is three wires for the blinkers/running light, on my after market setup I ran only two wires for just blinker and no running lights. I just had to play around with the wiring till i got it figured out. If you are using LED lights you will need a universal LED blinker module-like 12 bucks @ NAPA, it will take all the confusion out of the LED stuff. Take some pics of what you are working on, it makes it easier for all of us to see what your problems are. good luck

Jachana

So heres where I'm at right now, or how I bought it:

9e6a02af.jpg

This is the headlight and turn signal set up.

c2dfeecd.jpg

And here are about the only two wires I couldn't account for. Maybe this has something to do with it? The wiring diagram in the manual is way to blurry to read.

04b7ff7a.jpg

And yes the Tailight/Signals I bought did let me use the front brake as well.

Also I added a all in one tail light/ turn signals for the rear light. Do I need to do an aftermarket flash unit for that?

those 2 wires go to the non existant flasher relay that should be in the round rubber holder.

Thanks I was looking all over for that thing today. So would that explain why the turn signals aren't working? Or should they still work without it.

They may light without it but won't flash. Usually won't do anything at all without it as it completes the circuit. But these bikes have running lights on the front so they may light.

Alright so heres where I'm at.

I'm almost 100% sure the switch works. I added an LED rear Tailight/Turn Signal combo. Now the signals won't flash or turn off for that matter but when I move the switch you can just barely see a change in the light. Such as if I select right turn signal the rear signals get a little bit lighter/darker. The front signals are still non-existant. I know at least one bulb works as it randomly came on the other day, as well as the indicator on the gauge.

Here is a video of the rear light as I move the switch:

Here is the wires coming out of the left turn signal. Out of the signal is the black and they are connected to the light blue.

a66bb52a.jpg

Here are the wires coming out of the right turn signal. Out of signal is black and connected to orange.

73e7f516.jpg

Here is a flash relay that I bought at Autozone and it didn't do anything. I connected the two missing wires here:

9b5c34b4.jpg

04b7ff7a.jpg

Then I ground out the third prong.

Alright any ideas as this is the only thing stopping me from getting inspected, then getting a plate.

If you mix LED and Incandescent bulbs you won't get them to work as each needs a different flasher. Unless you put resisters on the LED to make the old school flasher relay think they are regular bulbs. Either switch your front to LED and get a LED flasher or put resisters on the rear to make them work. The stock flasher on these bikes won't flash the signals if even one bulb is bad or disconnected. You need 4 good bulbs, and sometimes they won't flash until the bike is running.

Man this bike is going to drive me crazy. I'm going to go ahead and get some LED signals for the front. But after I took that picture I went out put the headlight on and now that doesn't work either!!!

Back
Top Bottom