Theorycrafting...

Sonreir

Oregon
DTT SUPPORTER
OK... so the only real difference between a motor and a generator is the direction in which the current flows, right?

Assuming that's true, what are the technical impediments from me using a starter motor (wired up differently) as a secondary generator?

I would think one practical limit would be that a starter motor isn't designed for the sustained heat loads of continual use.

In the same way a starter can overheat and "burn out" with continued use trying to start an engine, I would expect that a standard starter motor would not be up for continuous use the other way 'round.

In a regenerative braking scenario, however, they might be fine since that is a similar high load/short time kind of application.

I hope others with more direct experience will point out the limits of mine, however...

I was thinking about that and I had some questions as well. My (limited) understanding is that the majority if the heat caused is the current flowing into the motor and the resistance in the coiled wire causing a build-up of heat. If I'm correct, the heat from using the motor as a generator should be significantly less because the amount of current being generated (as a generator) would be significantly less than what was being consumed (as a motor).

Is that right or no?

You may have a valid point, but another failure point in starter motors is the bearings, and those are certainly not designed for sustained loads at all.

I'm trying to the mental math as I type, and this is not helping.

Watts=Volts X Amps if I am not having a blonde moment. (now that I am in my forties, these seem to be happening more often...)

So my brain is agreeing with your point in theory, but my gut is pretty sure that it wouldn't work for very long.

And now I need a nap...

Sonreir said:
Maybe I can find a small enough alternator to use in place?

YES!

I would think you could make that work much more easily.

The gearing would need to change to remove the mechanical advantage given to the starter motor, but I would think you could overcome that.

Modern bikes have pretty small alternators, as do some marine motors if I am not mistaken...

Brother Sonreir some modern sportbikes use alternators that are mounted on the exterior of the engine, they are small and would be easy to mount.

@sally - Fuel pump, oil pump, injectors, and ECU.

@joey - Thanks, man. I'm Googling right now! :)

why not rewind your stator? you could in theory pull more power from the alternator up until the point where the stator core material reached close to flux saturation.

And at 88 MPH, you will see some serious, heavy stuff! ;D

Sorry, this post has nothing to do with the topic...pay no attention. There is nothing to see here.

Back
Top Bottom