Yamaha XV250 Bobber "Old Greg"

jrknecht

What about What?
So the story behind be having this bike is, I have next to no money right now and the pickings for "Cheap Old Bikes" here on the island is slim to none. So I posted on CL that I wanted someones disregarded/broken/project bike. After several weeks I got a call from a nice guy that had a bike (with a title) that he wanted gone. So I borrowed my friends truck and headed over. The owner was asking $100 for it which sounded like a steal till I got there and looked at it :p this is what I ended up with:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

:eek:
The rust on this thing is incredible, so after seeing it I told the owner that $100 was to much for me for something in this condition, he asked me what I wanted to pay and I told him I would take it from him but I wouldn't pay anything for it. He said that if I loaded up about 10 cinder blocks with the bike and took them back to the house I could have the bike. So free is free and I took it.
The plan is to strip everything off of it and build a bobber, I am going to scrap the swingarm and make it a hard tail. The budget is $500 so I could use any help/parts anyone wants to through my way ;) Teardown starts Monday or Tuesday.
Cheers,

JR

Re: Yamaha XV250 Bobber

you might need to replace a couple of those parts, but its nearly perfect. lol. Rust is the new black, jack. Route 66 for life.

Ah, I think it'll cost more than $500 to revive her. New wheels and rubber will run $500 bare minimum, new forks and judging by all the rust, I'm sure the inside of the tank is rusted to shit. So, new tank as well. Need new switches on the handlebars as well as new handlebars. Yeah, I'm guessing bare minimum will be about 2K. That's going based on knowledge that you don't have any "free" connections. Just Sayin.

Or, you could take it a part at a time like I've done and to hell with the $500 limit. Over time a few dollars here and there might not be noticed as much. Two years later I'm still going with my project for much those reasons, but it's been great fun and wouldn't change a thing.

I am going to do my best to keep it at least under a grand, I am going to make my own seat and pipes, strip just about everything off that I can, the rear end will be welded up by a friend, and the wheels and tank I will hopefully find here and there for a good deal. ::)
Really the rear wheel is salvageable including tire, the front might need to be replaced but there are wheels on ebay for $75-100 shipped, the engine feels good and the frame is in good shape aside from the swingarm which will be eliminated.
We will see how things go with teardown.

JR

My my Jack... Thats a real turd. Hahaha...

Im sure you'll knock it outta the park!

Hit me up if I can help!

Did the whole town use it as a public urinal? Jeeeez!
Brilliant project :)
Bring it on.
Just disinfect it first ;) Been there got the the t-shirt.

It's a long road but worth it. Look on the bright side, at least it's all in one piece and not in boxes.

VonYinzer said:
My my Jack... Thats a real turd. Hahaha...

Im sure you'll knock it outta the park!

Hit me up if I can help!

Thanks Mike, means a lot coming from you.
Well it is going to be slow going this month as some fam are in town and taking up all our free time :D , but I did do a little tearing down the other day.
14.jpg

found some more rust :eek:
15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

looking better already.
18.jpg

JR

Your bike has so much potential ...... I'm quite jealous
Rock and Roll
:)

There really is something about that little bastard that begs to be customised. Keep it up Jack.

So the rust doesn't seem too bad. Probably just needs a bit of wire brushing...

Sonreir said:
So the rust doesn't seem too bad. Probably just needs a bit of wire brushing...

Your right Matt, in fact I think it is fine I'll just paint right over it ;D

JR

Back
Top Bottom