trying to replacing turn signals. problems

modifiedamerican

Been Around the Block
so i have a 79 kz750 and im trying to replace the my front and rear turn signals with these
www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-race...linkers-25-8302.html

so i hooked up them the way the old ones were. hooked everything up went to turn the key on and this is what happend

the font headlight wont turn on.
the high beam indicator stays on.
the front turn signals turn on but wont blink when trying to use them.

in the back the lights dont turn on at all.

i can hear the relay or whatever it is click when trying to use the turn signals but nothing happen. im not very good with wiring but i now everything is hooked up the way it was before because ive triple checked everything. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Not trying to sound like a jerk, but if everything worked fine before, swapping signals wouldn't cause the problems you listed.

Either the wiring was switched around before, or it is now. Do you have a wiring diagram? Might be time to trace some wires.......

Are you still using the original flasher? When I swapped out my front and rear turn signals I had to switch to a "newer-style" electronic flasher for them to work properly. Mine didn't do all the crazy stuff you ran into though. The front and rear turn signal lights would come on but not flash. New electronic flasher fixed it.

Sounds to me like there might be other issues too, needing a new flasher and maybe you grounded something somewhere. Replace the flasher first, that may fix it (at least it should the front signals because they are showing the same symptoms mine did). Then you ought to be able to track down any other issues if there are any.

The link doesn't work so I can't see what type of flashers you went with. As mentioned though, if they're LED you going to need a special flasher. You can also put in a couple of resistors, but that often defeats the purpose of going to LED. Furthermore, depending on how your bike is wired, you may need to diodes as well (or remove the idiot light).

Then I'd put my money on something being wired incorrectly. Non-LED should be a straight swap.

My swap on my 76 KZ 400 was for non-LED turn signals as well. I did need to update to an electronic flasher. The original flasher is a thermal-style and depends on the lights/circuit having a specific resistance to trigger it. Switching to an electronic flasher will fix some of your issues (at least what you are seeing with the front - that is the classic symptom: lit up but not flashing). Below is what I used - picked one up from AutoZone, I think it was around $10. Any auto parts store should have them.

Basically what you need is a 2-prong 12-volt electronic (or "digital" or "LED") flasher. I think the brand I got was Blazer. Info on package was "FL32, Electronic Flasher, Heavy Duty, Truck & RV, 11-15v, 25A, 2 pin. Replaces standard 2 terminal fixed load and variable load flashers for turn signal and hazard warning applications. Fits all standard flasher receptacles."

so got the new flasher and got all four lights to come on. now i have another problem. when i go to use my turn signal all four lights flash:-( including my brake light

What about the indicator light in the speedo (or wherever)? The signal can cross through that bulb and make them "hazard lights". Doesn't explain the brake light though.......

Sounds really strange. I would be checking for cracks in the insulation, you could be shorting something out.

Older looms can go brittle, and crack and expose wires.

You definitly have wires touching that shouldnt be. Your turn signal switch is a basic 3 position switch. Left supplies power to the left signals, right to the right, and central is a neutral position. There should never be power going from one side to the other unless wires are crossed. Sounds like you need a 3 prong flasher, not a two.

Back
Top Bottom