1977 Kawasaki KZ 400 Cafe/Tracker Build signal issue

elbes14

So i'm about 50% complete my cafe build and ran into a little bit of a snag. I hooked up my aftermarket signals which are all working properly. Along with the new signals I've decided to make a custom dash with 3 lights,

1. Neutral switch
2. Oil Pressure
3. Turn Signal (just a single light like stock Kawi wiring harness)

I have hooked up everything as was hooked up on the stock harness. Oil and Neutral lights are working just fine. As for the signal indicator it only blinks for one side where on the stock hookup will work on both sides. I'm assuming I am having this problem due to the fact I switched to LED indicators from the regular incandescent bulbs. My question is if there is a way to make my setup work without having to install another turn signal indicator I'd really like to keep the 3 light system.

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 239
Try running power thru the led,then the flasher,then the switch, then the lights.
How is the stock setup wired?
You will Need to have the light getting juice from both sides,either on the + side or the - side of the circuit.

stock wired for the dash signal indicator was the positive lead from both left and right signals wired to each side of the old bulb. It would flash for left and right no issues. It seems like the LED replacement i have installed only works 1 way, like an in and an out if that makes sense? The only way i can make the LED flash for both sides is if i switch the wires up.

So I've figured out the problem! Can into Radio Shack and picked up 2 diodes (like a one way switch). I attached a diode to each signal wire (right front & left front) and then attached the diodes to one side of the LED indicator dash bulb. Taking note that both diodes were in the direction of the LED. This setup will stop the current from feeding back through. The other side of the LED bulb goes to ground. Hit the signal left and right they both flash seperately and the single dashlight bulb flashes for both. Hope this helps anyone else with the problem I had.

Back
Top Bottom