82' KZ440 Cafe' Brat Build: Carb tuning & exhaust fly by!

Re: 82' KZ440 Build

Is it that bad? If so, what would you suggest on replacing it with? Brand, teeth amt, links?

Its definitely worn. As far as replacement, check ebay but more than likely that price will be the same as getting one from the dealer. I personally went down a lot of teeth on mine to get more top end, but have yet to get it finished.

I will let some of the others chime in on opinions, etc

Big-D said:
Its definitely worn. As far as replacement, check ebay but more than likely that price will be the same as getting one from the dealer. I personally went down a lot of teeth on mine to get more top end, but have yet to get it finished.

I will let some of the others chime in on opinions, etc

Thanks for the tip. Is it JT that makes them also?

Chain is a brand new, less than 200 miles. Front sprocket looks brand new, my father in-law replaced it before I got the bike but obviously he did not replace the rear. I weigh 170 also and shed some weight off the bike.

It is a D.I.D O-Ring, got it from a local shop. Wasn't there highest grade one but good from what I was told. Is there an easy way to determine if the chain has been damaged from that short amount of time on the bike?

Swivel said:
From the facts given just fit a new steel aftermarket rear,it should be O.K.Don't have the chain adjusted tight.You should have 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" total up and down movement in the middle of the chain when you sit on it.Don't pressure wash or use gas to clean the chain or blow air at it.Don't spray good quality chain lube at it a lot.Most o-ring chains get way over lubed and it just attacts dirt and wears everything out faster.

Will do, and I agree. I know about the slack in the chain etc... I never pressure wash my bikes, always by hand.

My front tire showed up just now. I have the stocks sitting in the car, on my break I will have them mounted and will post pictures then. I'll have them mounted over the weekend.

The Shinko's 712's look way better in person.

Tires mounted, look pretty slick on the stock mags. Will look even better on the bike....finally get to make it a roller and get her started this weekend and maybe test ride 8)

Little teaser. About 80% done

6976869659_ae95e866ff_z.jpg

6976869473_ddfb83280d_z.jpg

6830744518_fa75f6dfa3_z.jpg

looking good man. thats a 19" front and 16" rear?

I think a gpz550 tank fits the cafe profile better.. something to think about ('81-'82)

what brand paint did you use on the engine?

marla_do said:
looking good man. thats a 19" front and 16" rear?

I think a gpz550 tank fits the cafe profile better.. something to think about ('81-'82)

what brand paint did you use on the engine?

Correct, 19" Front with a 110/90 and a 16" with a 130/90 Skinko 712

I'll have to check it out. I really dig the 70's & 80's stock paint schemes. Pin stripping, nice color's etc...

It's actually Rustoleum Gloss Black High Temp, lays out really nice.

cyclefreak said:
I like it!

Thanks, I appreciate it. From my initial plans it has morphed into more of a Bratracker thing...not sure what to call it.

Bar End Mirror

6851368982_a37c9361af_z.jpg

Fork Braced painted & installed

6851368350_91cb91a76c_z.jpg

6851368496_4e1ea8c9b3_z.jpg

Slow mock up, install of the electronics

6997493221_a917a3b00a_z.jpg

Not sure how I like it. Not too many choices for locations

6997493359_1066c15158_z.jpg

This was an option. Damn close when I jounce it

6851368644_21472f8be2_z.jpg

I plan on making a full box or 3/4 box where ever it may be.

I really like the style of boxes WM make on their builds.

I like the way you made the electrical tray.

as for the battery I think i'm going to go the a123 route to for the smallest possible footprint and easier in the end not having to worry about where to mount the battery

keep up the good work. I have been looking for an early 80's 550cc to build. Anxious to see how this one turns out.

Thanks guys.

I just wish I had more time on my hands. Lot's of little details I would like to accomplish but also trying to get it ready to ride. 45 hours a week at work, house work, married + dogs & horses. Keeping up our land etc... I usually only have a few hours a week to work on it.

I made the tray removable as along with all the electronics. In case I change things around it will be easier in the long run. I wanted to run one of those super small battery's but didn't feel like spending $100-170 on one. I guess it would be worth it, less hassle etc...

I am starting to literally hate the seat, about to ditch the hole thing. I got an idea in my head for a seat pan and keep the stock raised rear hoop.

Well, it's together and running. Put 50 miles on it last week. I need to put mufflers back on, getting tired of how loud it is.

Battery position will be changing, and I need to finish my box.

Seat...I hate it with a passion. Got some sheet metal and some foam. Going for a slim seat that goes with the step frame. Opinions?

6874828920_352820c60d_c.jpg

The project is looking great man. I used a smaller battery on my project gs450, it helped in locating a better position for a battery box. Your stock battery looks about the same size as mine was, I went to WALLY WORLD and picked up the smallest motorcycle battery they have for like 29$.

Looking good though.

GmanGS450 said:
The project is looking great man. I used a smaller battery on my project gs450, it helped in locating a better position for a battery box. Your stock battery looks about the same size as mine was, I went to WALLY WORLD and picked up the smallest motorcycle battery they have for like 29$.

Looking good though.

Thanks, I guess to me overall the bike is "okay". I was limited on time working on it, 1-2 hours here and there over the course of....months....you don't get a lot done. I wanted a large attention to detail, nice parts. But that wasn't going to happen. The wife hates the motorcycle, hates me buying things for it, and hates me working on it. So even getting this far I am happy. I had a 04' GSXR 750 5-6 years ago when I first met my wife, had a close friend pass away and sold the bike shortly after. She knew how hard it was for me, and having this KZ handed down to me, well it was her idea. So props to her IMO.

It's actually slightly smaller than stock. I tried to find something with same specs to stock and enough to accommodate the electrics. It's a BikeMaster TrueGel. I wanted super small, but didn't want to pay the super big price for one.

Back
Top Bottom