CB750 Cafe Racer Build

tmorris22

Live Young, Die Fast
ok so i discovered Do The Ton a little late, so my project isnt from the start but i've still got a ways to go. Im shooting for a cafe that has a beefy lower look to it. Im hoping to still incorporate some of the newer touches ive discovered as well.
This was my inspiration:

Attachments

• 72507_143440022368926_142765972436331_234167_5655026_n.jpg
    72507_143440022368926_142765972436331_234167_5655026_n.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,496
My list of alterations is this:

1. I think the seat is too long so i'm shortening that up.
2. The seat pad itself is crap, i'm going to get a friend of mine who does boat upholstery to make me a nicer one..
3. I'm replacing the tach and speedo with a 2.5" pair (hoping to mount them so they are low and just peak over the top..
4. The new speedo i bought has indicator lights in it so i'm going to cut out the current light display
5. The clubman bars i have on there are going, i'm replacing them with clip ons
6. New pod filters
7. i'm lowering the bike about 2", ordered some "shorty" shocks and will drop the fork tubes through the triple to lever her out..
8. New headlight ears and will be lowering the headlight so i'ts parallel to the tank

PAINT:
1. tank with 6" grey honda wing decal and seat pan in satin black, along with oil/battery covers
2. wheels and exhaust in flat black

here's another 'as is' photo

Attachments

• photo (17).JPG
    photo (17).JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 1,094
This is my photoshopped plan for the bike... fingers crossed it all works out!

Attachments

• idea copy.jpg
    idea copy.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 321
ordered new turn signals and taillight... black will look much better than what ive got on it now... (Dime City is awesome.)

Attachments

• 51BjyDmxt1L._SS400_.jpg
    51BjyDmxt1L._SS400_.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,534
i'm looking to get something like this for the seat pad made...

Attachments

• 750-four-5.jpg
    750-four-5.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 299
  • photo (15).JPG
    photo (15).JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 989
Looks good so far. Nice plans

I got the same tail light. Is yours Tail/Brake/Turn Intergrated?

im not sure yet actually. it came from china and with zero paperwork.. so we'll see after its hooked up, which will be this next week. Along with the new turn signals

so this is the next two weeks: Carbs cleaned/set, Main fuel jets re-sized, new electronic ignition, spark plugs, gasket seals, fork tubes lowered, electrical rewired, seat pan shortened, lowered headlight.

New Parts going on: Pod filters, turn signals, tail light, headlight ears, tachometer, speedometer (w/indicators), seat pad, clip on bars, grips, shorty shocks.

Then its just going to need powder-coating and paint: Tank and seat pan, wheels, exhaust, side covers. We'll see, i'm not sure how quickly i'll be able to get this done (low on funds right now)

i may actually be needing to get a different exhaust set up. Right now i've got the 4 into 1 and the way it twists under the frame doesnt give me much clearance after lowering the fork tubes and putting on the shorty shocks... i may be looking at 4 into 2... Not too stoked about spending another $300... but we'll see..

How many wires on the tail light? 2 or 3 should only be Tail Light, 4 or 5 would be Integrated

Running
Brake
Ground (May or may not have, probably green)

Left
right

Just ordered a this triple tree from Bullet Custom Cycles with the ignition mount. Cost $185. I think it's going to add a lot to the bike and make assembling everything much cleaner...

Should turn out something like this:

Attachments

• BullitMini19inch003.jpg
    BullitMini19inch003.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 835
Nice grocery list... that'll keep you busy for a while.
Concerned about clearance for wheel travel on all but the smoothest roads with it slammed that much?
Looks good but I'd hate to bottom it out over the slightest bumps.

its only going down 2" in front and 2" in back... i may have to stiffen up the shocks and or replace my exhaust with one that gives me more clearance... we'll have to see how it turns out i guess..

watch the negative effect on the handling when lowering a bike.
Not only just ground clearance.

Seen a few go past bad handling and gone right to dangerous buy having the wheel hit the pipes....

ugh that doesnt sound pleasant. are you talking about the front forks bottoming out, or the rear wheel hitting the frame?? i'd prefer to avoid death if at all possible.. maybe know what to watch out for.. My inclination to lower the bike in the first place was because it felt too tall. I'd be on my tip toes when coming to a stop and with as heavy as the bike is, i was concerned about it tipping if i came to a poor stop.. I was hoping to lower the center of gravity to improve my control. . Perhaps I should have gone with a 350/360 or 550, sometimes i wonder if the bike isnt just too big for me. I'm about 5' 10" and 195#...

as for the oil tank, i agree. i did find these two options however...

1. $510
http://benjiescaferacer.com/battery-box.php
http://benjiescaferacer.com/oil-tank.php

2. $110
http://bullitcustomcycles.com/products/oil-tanks--accessories/oil-tank-battery-box/

i havent decided what i'd like to do with this yet... another day, another dollar..

yeah some times you just need a bike that fits.
But really the 750s are not as big and heavy as some claim

I have seen people lower the rear and when the shocks compress the wheel hits the frame, or lower the front and have the wheel hit the pipes.

Lowering a car might help improve handling but its not the case on a bike.
Often its done purely for the look. thats all well and good but its important to understand whats happening

Back
Top Bottom