"Dago" Resurrecting a 350F gently

ronnie

Calm down and sail on
So there comes a time in every mans life where he comes across a buy one get one in pieces deal... Well this happened to me in my early days. I would like to make this little pup a racer inspired ride. I don't want to take any shortcuts i can afford, I want it to be right and no half measures. That being said lets get to the nitty gritty.

For this bike I will definitely need some guidance(no i dont want you to hold me hands) on some aspects throughout this build. Also, be patient as I work offshore 6 months out of the year (month on month off). That being said here is a rough of my things I would like to do:

-rebuild engine and possibly overbore to a 400F(guidance here) Bought a 400F and bored to 466cc
-upgrade front end (GSX600 fork with XS650 hub and 19" rim, Race Tech spings & emulators)
-upgrade rear suspension
-lower sprocket gearing
-new carbs
-typical add ons
-make a better tank using original Bought a Benelli Mojave 360 tank from DeanJ on here
-new seat and cushion
-a full fairing
-new rims and tires
-clean it up
-oh and get a title for it haha!

Other than all of this, I am including some pictures of what the mess looks like now.. Oh and parts that I wont be using will be for sale on the cheap.. Like so cheap you want to take a shower after for feeling so dirty.

Re: "Dago Roller" Resurrecting a 350F gently

I'm not much help for any of the technical stuff Ronnie - sorry. Just wanted to sign up for the build!

looks like it would be a bucket load of fun. if you dont plan on keeping the tank and its in good shape pm me.

So I didn't get much time this time off to work on my bike, and now I'm back on the boat for another 4 weeks. Good and bad. Good cause I can research and order parts and brainstorm, bad cause I'm not home to carry out those things. This time at work I want to order parts for the engine and do some looking up for a better front fork so I can possibly order a used front fork while I'm not at home. I'll keep this updated on my progress with this quest.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

if the engine needs work you should think about finding a 400F. MUCH better base...

Also do you have a stock rear wheel? that wheel in the picture looks like a 16in harley wheel and its terrible for performance.

Since you are starting with a pile of parts it might be a good time to think about upgrading the suspension.
CB550 forks with dual disks? GL forks with alloy rim?
inch TALLER shocks in the rear

well I honestly don't know the extent of the engine, it rolls over with the kick start but that's as far as I went with it. Not sure on the back wheel but yea I was going to get new rims and spokes anyways. Yea, I would like to upgrade the front suspension but haven't gotten far enough to see what bikes fronts would fit the 350f and I was definitely upgrading the rear shocks cause those are old and outdated.

And that was my thing too, if it would be worth upgrading the stock engine or looking for a 400f or maybe a twin of some sort like a 350 or 450.

400f bolts in
Twin doesnt and there is zero gain in making it fit....unless you just want to do it for the sake of work

I got ya.. well then I'll start my search for a 400f engine, any particular years I should look for?

All of them. They only made the 400F for three years, and they are all a huge step up from the 350F. Wait a minute.......from 1975 to 1977. They did make another "CB400F" in 89 I think. Completely different.

Alright then... looks like I'm going to get a new motor soon haha! Would ya'll just go ahead and reman the whole thing(stator, points, clutch pads, etc)? I want to do over bore and porting if I can afford that... So heres to finding a new engine cheap!

There are relatively cheap 466 kits available for the 400F through eBay.

Find the 400F lump, you will not be disappointed.

So I was looking online for a 400f engine.. and I came across 4.. 2 were stupid expensive and were missing things and then these too..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Honda-CB400F-CB400-CB-400-Super-Sport-engine-motor-/260980555686?hash=item3cc3a73fa6&item=260980555686&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_654wt_944

and this one,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CB400F-CB-400-F-Motor-Engine-1975-/370593264936?hash=item5649147528&item=370593264936&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_965

I'm leaning towards the second one, which unfortuanately is more expensive. But it has all its covers and appears to have all electrics not rummaged through and wires are there. I priced some of the covers and electrics and it would cost me 55 for just the sprocket cover..

What do you guys think? I plan on going with electric ignition so should i just get the cheaper engine and hope someone has the covers later on?

Also, the expensive of the two has 6k less miles on it... not that it shouldn't matter, i'm rebuilding it anyways

Jebus, looks like the pile of crap I brought home a few months ago! Good luck bro... ;D

Yea, I know.. Trying to keep this whole thing managable! Yea Frog, there are two buckets of parts that arent in the picture too!

ronnie said:
So I was looking online for a 400f engine.. and I came across 4.. 2 were stupid expensive and were missing things and then these too..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Honda-CB400F-CB400-CB-400-Super-Sport-engine-motor-/260980555686?hash=item3cc3a73fa6&item=260980555686&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_654wt_944

and this one,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CB400F-CB-400-F-Motor-Engine-1975-/370593264936?hash=item5649147528&item=370593264936&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_965

I'm leaning towards the second one, which unfortuanately is more expensive. But it has all its covers and appears to have all electrics not rummaged through and wires are there. I priced some of the covers and electrics and it would cost me 55 for just the sprocket cover..

What do you guys think? I plan on going with electric ignition so should i just get the cheaper engine and hope someone has the covers later on?

I'm bumping this reply cause one of the motors ends soon I believe..

I have a hard time with eBay recently because of my phone........but I would get the one that the motor seems in better condition. Covers and wires and such can be found fairly easily, but a rebuild can cost big $$$.

Hope that helps......

Well I plan on rebuilding and putting over-sized pistons in it.. That's why I am asking. I figured after getting covers and parts missing off the cheaper one, I would be spending the same amount if not more finding parts and paying shipping.. So I think I'm going to get the better of the two.. which is more expensive. But I was looking at the cheaper one and it doesn't even have a starter on it and those run a hundred or more.. Do you know of the cheapest/best shipper that ships items like that Rich?

Back
Top Bottom