Want to go two stroke... where to start?

jonwright

surfing and motorcycles.... yup
alright gents,
i am just about done with my cb360 build and am already itching for the next project. i would really like to go two stroke. but i am not super familiar with two stroke bikes. give me some ideas of common two strokes out there that are easy to get parts for and make good cafe bikes. also i am not opposed to the idea of a modern two stroke but i would like to keep cost down thus im sure an old bike is the way to go.
share your thoughts.

T250 or RD250 are both excellent starter bikes for smokers. There's also the DT range of bikes if your tastes lean more toward enduro styles.

H2 Kawasaki triple.........Instant street cred. totally insane bike in the right stat of tune.

Best 2 smoke to start on is the one you like and can afford. The most recent 2 stroke in the US is the RZ370 and they are under represented here. Upside is 100-130->> hP with the right bits in it or a sane 50HP more or less stock.

Add modern forks wheels and rubber and have some serious fun. They are also more reliable and more powerful that the older air cooled twins

teazer said:
H2 Kawasaki triple.........Instant street cred. totally insane bike in the right stat of tune.

Yeah... because that's not a big learning curve coming from a CB360. ;D

Cafe-Racer.jpg

Yamaha RD !

My recommendation would be a watercooled Yamaha - the YPVS is a worthwhile complication to have.
The reliability of a fairly stock bike is great and the power is more than reasonable.

Kawasaki triples are madness that brings a smile to your face but might not be ideal for an introduction to strokers!

Crazy

I do like the rds... no doubt thats a handsom 2 stroke... Just a little hard to find one around here..ill just have to keep my eyes peeled and ask around

Good idea! ;)

Older 2 strokes are relatively simple and easy to work on. The air cooled Yamaha RD-series (250, 350 & 400) are a great place to start. The smaller displacement Kawasaki triples (250, 350, 400 & 500) are simple and very fun to ride too. Oh, and don't let the "hype" scare you away! I've been riding Kawi Triples on and off for 30 years. Suzuki triples (380 & 550) are super cool too! The 750 Kawi's and Suzuki's are great too if you wan a bigger, heavier Triple to play with. They are in greater demand and therefore worth more money in most regions. The smaller bikes, including the Kawi 500, are cheaper and generally more plentiful.

When you get to more modern 2 strokes like the RZ- series Yamahas, the technology improves but so does complexity. Just my opinion though. ;) They're great bikes! 8)

It will probably come down to what you can find in your area. Jump on some of the 2 stroke forums and see who/what is in your region. 8)

Like anything, shop around and compare. Some sellers price their bikes like they have the last one on the planet! ;) Above all, have fun! :)

While you're searching, also include "R5" and "DS7". Those are the emmediate predesessor to the RD line and share almost all parts. The most notable difference between them and the RD's is reed valves. The RD's have them, the R5/DS7's do not. So you'll get slightly less torque out of the earlier bikes.
The upsides to this are... the R5/DS7's are usually cheaper (because they're older and "slower"), and you can always "upgrade" to the RD's reed valves (and a host of other performance parts) later if you like.

This is my DS7...
audubonpark023.jpg

I got the bike for free as a completely stock basket case. But from start to current, I'm into the bike for less than $1500.

In Missouri about an hour or so east of Kansas city, good looking bike man I had never heard of a ds7! That's exactly why I asked cause I really didn't know what to be searching for thanks for the tips guys I will keep up to date if I find a keeper

First thing you do when you buy a two stroke is replace your crank seals or this could be your engine
a6b50319-34c3-68d8.jpg
a6b503a0-34e6-4017.jpg
a6b503b0-3508-1db4.jpg

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

I think yours is the nasty lump there Brad!! :eek: ;D

Good advice from Redbird - but don't go earlier than the DS7.

It was the first model with horizontally split crankcases and the improved clutch. Both items were major improvements!

Crazy

item.JPG

Back
Top Bottom