Using filler and bondapriming a fuel tank

This thread is obnoxious.
I told you what to do already.

I don't give a shit of you dunk it in the Atlantic as long as you have a good paint job it's going to be fine.

Someone needs to cut out the coffee, if you don't give a shit why post?

You gave a standard answer = which everyone knows, to a non-standard question.

I would like to use bondaprimer because I do not want to repaint my tank in 20 years. It is going to be glossy black forever, I would powdercoat but was under the impression you can't do this to a tank.

I already have the answer that enables me to do this so no need to feel any pain any longer. Thanks

If the area you need to fill is small enough - use solder / lead.

Leading is the way forward to be able to use bondaprimer. Thanks

I guess my 20 plus years of doing bodywork doesnt mean anything . Just because you use boat primer doesnt mean it is gonna last 20 years . I hope you have the patients to sand out every imperfection you get in your filler because without a good quality highbuild automative primer it is gonna show everything . Good luck

sasquach said:
I guess my 20 plus years of doing bodywork doesnt mean anything . Just because you use boat primer doesnt mean it is gonna last 20 years . I hope you have the patients to sand out every imperfection you get in your filler because without a good quality highbuild automative primer it is gonna show everything . Good luck

Ok well why don't you just tell me this in the first place? Genuinely not trying to have an argument, but achieve the best result from people's experiences, if you find it annoying don't read, don't post.

Bondaprimer - Its not specifically a boat primer, it is used mostly in automotive restoration of old vehicles such as old Rolls Royce's and is meant to future proof any rust, it is better than all red oxide primers and zinc primers, the proof is that boat people use it as well, it was not originally intended for boats. People who are in the know, know its the beez knees in rust protection (I am in no way affiliated), its even better than cold galvanizing as in addition to zinc protection if forms a very hard seal that takes a week to cure.

Perhaps it is overkill, have you seen one of your tanks after 20 years use, how has it held up? There are plenty of bondaprimed examples of undercarriages of cars that have held up to more than 20 years of hard use.

Well its obvious that you dont want to use anything but this bondashit that most of us have never heard of so just use it becuase you know more than all of us .You are the one who said it gave problems when used on body filler , not us . So good luck with what ever you use .

No primer is going to "future-proof" a ferrous metal from rust. Probably the closest you will get is hot-dip galvanizing.

But anyway - let's take a step back and look at what we are doing. This is a motorcycle gas tank. Unless the bike is being parked in a museum or the tank is being stored in the attic it's going to get scratched / dented / banged up.

There's no way any paint job is still going to look perfect after 20 years of "normal" use.

I did my tank back in 1995. The tank was dented bad on the front right side. I sanded it all down to metal, applied regular old bondo, sanded it all back down to the correct shape, primed with a rattle can, painted with a rattle can, sold the bike, got it back not too long ago. The paint looked like shit but all the bondo work was still perfect. I just re-sanded and re-painted with professional paint and equipment I have learned to use in the last few years and the paint is perfect. I swear on bondo, this shit really works and its easy to mix and use.

funny you should mention this.. i used the same tank, and here is what i did,, pull off the honda name plate, chisel off the rivets, weld the wholes that WILL be there, tin it , fill it with molten lead, grind it smooth, sand the shit out of it, prime and paint as normal, and you will NEVER have any gas seapage issues at all... nick... i will attempt to attach some pics of my tank... nick

Attachments

• gastank-primed2.jpg
    gastank-primed2.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 253
oops i think i just figured out how to post multiple pics

Attachments

• 100_2174.JPG
    100_2174.JPG
    400.8 KB · Views: 275
  • 100_2176.JPG
    100_2176.JPG
    421.5 KB · Views: 265
  • gastank-leading1.jpg
    gastank-leading1.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 271
  • 100_2233.JPG
    100_2233.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 246
RTCCP, nice job man, did you do the patch yourself or can you buy those somewhere? I need something nice on mine but couldnt paint something that looked that good.

sasquach said:
Well its obvious that you dont want to use anything but this bondashit that most of us have never heard of so just use it becuase you know more than all of us .You are the one who said it gave problems when used on body filler , not us . So good luck with what ever you use .

Bondaprimer is from the UK, I don't know more than all of you thats why I came here to ask, I do know it's the best thing out there as countless restorers of old vehicles will atest to & I do know bondaprimer is the best thing painted on for anti-rust protection on parts that will receive a lot of dents etc. I also know it does not like conventional filler and will soften it.

If you don't know what it is and are just getting angry, really you're trolling so go somewhere else because you are not being helpful.

funny you should mention this.. i used the same tank, and here is what i did,, pull off the honda name plate, chisel off the rivets, weld the wholes that WILL be there, tin it , fill it with molten lead, grind it smooth, sand the shit out of it, prime and paint as normal, and you will NEVER have any gas seapage issues at all... nick... i will attempt to attach some pics of my tank... nick

This is the answer, superb job btw. Funny its also a CB500t tank I'm actually looking to do. Leading is the answer. :)

molten lead? Don't overthink this man. it really is easy. If you have the same cb cafe bike with the same paint scheme in 20 years when traditional body work methods fail I'll lick a white dog turd

molten lead? Don't overthink this man. it really is easy. If you have the same cb cafe bike with the same paint scheme in 20 years when traditional body work methods fail I'll lick a white dog turd

You're right.

Just to keep you complaining ;D

LOL ;D

You guys crack me up, this is just hilarious. Really, you should change jobs and be comedians.

Back
Top Bottom