What are the tips and tricks to de-tabbing a frame?

gk45011

Coast to Coast
Started de-tabbing my GS450 frame using a hacksaw and a die grinder. What are the tips to getting the welds ground down clean and smooth? Seems like I now have a de-tabbed rough spot from the grinder. Looks great from 10 feet away, but i was hoping for something much cleaner.

What kind of die grinder?stones?
Do you have a file?
You just take off the high spots,do not get into base metal.

started with a cheapy 4 1/2 inch grinder with a rough normal grinding stome. What kind of file should I use for the final smoothing?

gk45011 said:
started with a cheapy 4 1/2 inch grinder with a rough normal grinding stome. What kind of file should I use for the final smoothing?

That is not a die grinder.
Use the smoothest/finest grit wheel you can.
And only on anything above base metal( the frame tube ).
Take your time and leave about 1/16 in. sticking out then switch to a fine tooth file.
These frames are made of thin low carbon steel, no need to attack it aggressively.

started hitting it with a fine metal file. starting to smooth out nicely.

Thanks for the information. :)

Gary

Flapperdisk seems to be the way to go.
Almost smooth. Far from perfect still but getting there.

Thank goodness its a budget build.

The welds on these old bikes are not the best in most cases. They're crude machine welds. What Nebr was trying to tell you was that you need to be careful not to remove too much material. The welds dont always penetrate into the base material very deeply. If you remove all of the weld at tje surface you weaken the weld as a whole.

Weak welds = cracked frames. Bad.

Of course that only applies if the tab is at a joint In tjw actual frame tubes. If not, as Nebr says, hand finish. If you remove a hair too much a tiny bit of body filler goes a long way to smooth scratches.

I used a couple methods.

Metal Cutting disc attached to my electric grinder
3M Green Flap Disc to make smooth
3M Brown Disc to get rid of rough edges
3M Maroon

Or a small air saw works wonders for those tight area's

$(KGrHqR,!owE-u0T-hwVBP2z4Wof0!~~60_12.JPG

My collection of material left over

6789144286_c566cdf7e5_z.jpg

Back
Top Bottom