Header Wrap - Second Impression, it sucks!

DrJ

Over 1,000 Posts
So I wrapped my Hooker 2-1 headers in exhaust wrap since the finish is no longer fresh. Looked way cool at first. Tonight I rode my CB350 home from my parents house, about 20 kms. During the trip the headers heated up and caused the wrap to smoke big time. The drivers behind me must've thought my engine was going to explode or something. The smoke built up around me as I sat at the lights. When I got home all my clothes stunk of smoke. If the burning doesn't stop soon I'm going to ditch the wrap and chalk up another one to experience. :mad:

I heard before that they smoked when new and smelled a bit, but I never realized it would be that bad. I just wrapped mine but have yet to start the bike, I'll have to wear some old clothes for the first couple of rides then. ;D

Let us know how the next couple of rides turn out. Have any pics of the wrapped pipes?

When I wrapped my headers, I had wet them down before applying them. It took several rides for the h2o to evaporate off. I had a similar experience, but it eventually went away. DrJ did you apply the wrap dry?

Kuyarico said:
When I wrapped my headers, I had wet them down before applying them. It took several rides for the h2o to evaporate off. I had a similar experience, but it eventually went away. DrJ did you apply the wrap dry?

I did wet the wrap but that was over a year ago so I thought they would be dry by now. Hopefully that is just residual moisture burning off and will go away soon. Here's a pic:
n631952673_506721_4596.jpg

after I wrapped mine, I sprayed/coated the wrapp with DEI high-Temp Headder wrap Silicone spray.
I never had any of that burning or smoking after its first ride.

http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/DEI_SILICONE_SPRAY_p_4458.html

$25 at Performance Improvements

locO leoN said:
after I wrapped mine, I sprayed/coated the wrapp with DEI high-Temp Headder wrap Silicone spray.
I never had any of that burning or smoking after its first ride.

Still haven't got that first ride in, but mine was smoking pretty good too, it's expected... Surprisingly enough, mine is doing the exact same thing as Noel's??? :eek:

Of course that's going to happen. Not good for the lungs though! Another 20km ride will clear it right up.

--Chris

DrJ, did you get a chance to run your bike again? Still smoking? Just wondering because I'll hopefully be taking my bike out in a couple of weeks and just wanted to know what to expect.

Yes, I've since ridden the bike approximately 60 kms and it's still smoking. I'm not pleased so I'm removing it.

I found out what was causing the smoke. There's a small oil leak on the top end and it drips down to the pipe at the bottom. The heat from the pipe burns off the oil causing the smoke. So the wrap is staying for now until I plug up the leak. I don't remember the brand but I bought it frrom Partsource special order. Around $60 but I split it with a friend and half was enough to wrap my pipes. I didn't spray mine.

There's always residual smoke at first. I've wrapped every set of pipes I've ever had and every header I've ever put on a car (tons) and after a short while it burns off.

Swagger said:
There's always residual smoke at first. I've wrapped every set of pipes I've ever had and every header I've ever put on a car (tons) and after a short while it burns off.

Same with me . Always that burn and funny smell when it's hot but overall I like wrap. I've never noticed a difference in HP but it does tend to make my bike run a little smoother ( no idea why , really).

so, if i ride in the rain with header wrap, it will smoke like crazy for a while? i dont think ill be putting that stuff on....

I JUST got my clothes changed after riding home from work in the rain... :( And my wrapped pipes smoked like Snoop Dogg hangin with Cheech and Chong at a coffee bar in Amsterdam... Also the stink went away after about a month, but now the color(black) has faded and I'm thinkin of coating them with a DEI paint that's supposedly made for wrapped pipes... I'll let ya know how that goes

DRj, whats up.
was just wondering what type of performance did you notice from your bike
with the wraps installed. i think i want to wrap mine, on a 175 dual exhaust.
it looks cool but if thats all you get, i might not do it.
thanks,
like the bike man...

You're not likely to feel anything but if your bike is tuned well you'll note that it will run smoother overall and idle easier. You may actually be able to lean it out a bit on idle, I noticed that a couple times on smaller bikes. By keeping the heat in the pipes longer you increase exhaust velocity and scavenging which may gain you a couple hp on top. Think of it as getting 10% larger diameter pipes for cheap....

thanks swagger.
i think i am going to wrap the headers, because it will be tuned and it if thats the case a couple more top end
ponnies would be great, just what i am looking for.
thanks for the info.
later.

you want the wrap to smoke!! that is it burning off the water and tightening the wrap to the pipe, helps it to hold the heat into the pipe (the whole point of wrapping) on the Harleys i wrap they smoke for a WHILE.... just what it does... i wet the wrap, use a pole to allow me to get the wrap super tight, then run them on the bike for a while (usually about a week) ... after it stops smoking. i pull the pipes again and shoot it with the spray loco used! great stuff

I haven't noticed any performance improvements. I did mostly for appearance since my headers were a bit grungy. Yeah it does steam up after rain but not for long and the stink is long gone. I don't mind the faded look, adds a bit of hardcoreness.

2649888962_f8200d5145_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom