Header Wrap - Second Impression, it sucks!

Drj. i agree with the fadded look. i love the look of your bike.
the seat flows great with the tank. good job.
i have decided to not wrap mine right off, my pipes are pretty new and really in excelant condition.
i think because of the duel exh its not going to look that good either.
i don't know though.
any way looks good..
later.

for anyone thinking about doing it and wondering how much to buy, i just used 3 meters of 2 inch tape per side on stock cb350 pipes. looks fine, pretty tuff. needs to weather obviously, and i need to work out how to tighten the cable ties, maybe wire ties would have been easier.

Don't even bother with those stupid bands they give you. Get your wrap wet, crank it on really tight while it's wet and use hose clamps to hold it in place. If you have stainless clamps you can leave them but I use safety wire. Double it up, double wrap then twist the ends nice and tight, leave a 1/2" tail, bend it over to 1/4" heat shrink that then bend it over.

It'll hold better than those clamps, can easily be redone and safety wire is really unobtrusive.

ruined my chrome, and frayed real bad at the bottom. also I kinda hit a curb (trying to ride off of it) and the down pipe dented and bent real bad!
I think the wrap makes your pipes hotter then normal, which in turn makes them softer, and more likely to get damaged.
otherwise I never noticed any difference in how it ran or idled.

of course it ruined your chrome... the whole purpose of wrap is to keep heat in the pipes and help the motor warm up faster and have the exhaust atomize to flow faster... it is not about looks it is about performance man... if your wrap frayed it was not propperly sealed after put on, you can not just wrap it, you have to either hit it with a paint or high themp wrap seal... some guys even use a wire wrap to hold it tighter. to prevent end frays i wrap the end under the wrap... sounds weird i know but works great!

Back
Top Bottom