Advice for drilling fiberglass seat?

Call Of Doodie

Been Around the Block
I'm about to make a bigger hole in the tail of my fiberglass seat for a new, larger tail light - is there a particular type of hole saw I should be using? All the various brands I saw at the hardware store only listed as being for wood, metal or plastic, nothing else. The teeth on them seemed awfully large - just looks to me like they'd splinter the shit out of fiberglass.
Any other tips would be greatly appreciated - I definitely don't want to F up a perfectly good seat cowl...thanks.

Fiberglass is real easy to cut, but I'd try and find one with small teeth and take your time, don't want do chew it up. Smaller teeth will give you a nice clean cut. Wear a mask when doing it, that dust flies everywhere.

Smallest tooth hole saw you can find...then if you need to clean it up with a dremel or something.

+1 on dust. Don't want to be breathing in that fiberglass dust.

That's what I was figuring, too, but every single hole saw I've found so far has huge teeth, and I haven't seen anything that specifically says "for fiberglass". Maybe I can find something on line. Thanks, guys.

fiberglass will chew up the blade faster than the blade will chew it up, glass fiber is actually harder than steel, so it may wear the blade sooner than you can cut through it, when I put holes for lights in glass parts, I rough out the hole with an angle grinder and finish the edge to a circle with a carbide burr (carbide is harder than glass)

rockcitycafe said:
fiberglass will chew up the blade faster than the blade will chew it up, glass fiber is actually harder than steel, so it may wear the blade sooner than you can cut through it, when I put holes for lights in glass parts, I rough out the hole with an angle grinder and finish the edge to a circle with a carbide burr (carbide is harder than glass)

fiberglass harder than steel? eh....

yep, go try to scratch your window with a kitchen knife, then look out for when your wife yells at you for ruining her knife

Back
Top Bottom