Atlantic Canada

Maritime said:
15 years old or older is taxes at the crossing based on receipt need original title signed to you and a ITN number you can get online for 35 USD and you need to email it all to the border 72 hours before you cross. Really easy.

Wow, thanks. I figured you'd chime in. Looking to grab an R-series eventually, seems to be more option in the US.

~T

Way more. Last bike I just did was a Magna for my boss and we saved 1500 over the best deal we could find within 5hrs of here.

Whilst this thread is getting some attention... who do you guys use to insure your bikes ? I got reamed on my CJ360T last year.

~T

Most of the guys I know (myself included) have been going through TD Primmum...to the best of my knowledge, as long as you have been licensed for a few years they are the best deal around in N.S. I think I am paying around $160 a year for the 750 Commando and about $125 for the 500cc machines...that's for just basic coverage.
It doesn't hurt to call around, there may be some better deals in your area.

goldy said:
Most of the guys I know (myself included) have been going through TD Primmum...to the best of my knowledge, as long as you have been licensed for a few years they are the best deal around in N.S. I think I am paying around $160 a year for the 750 Commando and about $125 for the 500cc machines...that's for just basic coverage.
It doesn't hurt to call around, there may be some better deals in your area.

Thanks !

~T

Same here TD primmum (moloche monex) out of Halifax. If you are a university grad or professional you get discounts. I am paying like 465 for the two bikes taken out over 6 months

Thanks for the warm welcoming. I may have found my bike, but still need to make the trek out to look at it. I'm keeping my mouth shut until it's all sorted out so that I don't jinx anything. A friend of mine who has a bit of experience with vintage Japanese bikes is going to come along and give it a once over with me. It's going to need a bit of work, but it does run (poorly). I don't mind spending a few months turning wrenches and getting it cleaned up, rebuilding the carbs, tuning it, etc. It'll give me a chance to get a acquainted with everything before I ride it.

Good point on the insurance. I'm already with TD for my cars, so I'll give them a call this week and see what they have to say.

Goldy, I have a friend who might be interested in that BSA Victor. Any chance that you could PM me some more details on it?

Hey...even if it runs poorly, at least it runs...you'll have to assess just what you've got and what needs doing, but it is better than starting off with a complete unknown. B.Z on taking an experienced buddy along with you. Who knows, you might get lucky...it might only need a carb cleaning and a basic tune up.

I was talking to the fellow with the Victor this past weekend and he seems to have changed his mind about selling it. Apparently he is up to some sort of "secret squirrel" project and wants to keep it under wraps...got me to machine up some bits and pieces for it, but wouldn't tell me what he is thinking about doing with it, just said he wanted to do something all by himself this time and surprise us in the spring. Guess I'll just ahve to wait.

Good luck on the bike hunt...this IS the best time of year to buy a motorcycle, not much out there, but the prices are usually good.

Thanks, that was my rational as well. I'd be a lot more hesitant if it wasn't running or if it was a box of parts. At least this way I can focus on one thing at a time and watch it get better as I work my way through the maintenance. I'm hoping that it just needs the old fuel flushed out and some basic carb cleaning/tuning. It has been sitting for a while, so that's pretty well unavoidable.

Too bad about the Victor, but understandable. My buddy has been trying to find a decent, older British bike for a while. He had a deal on an old Norton that fell through last year and has been looking since. He's going to be disappointed, hehe.

Hopefully my next post will be me saying that I picked up the one that I'm going to look at. Fingers are crossed.

Do you guys of know of any other groups like this ?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/366109500103585/

A guy a post or two down is giving away a goldwing motor.

Cheers,
~T

Hey Matt, any luck in your bike search? I know you were looking for something older, but there is a pretty decent looking '81 GS500 on Kijiji.

Its so frigging cold around here the past couple of weeks and with storm, after storm, after bloody storm, I haven't been able to heat the shop enough to do much in the way of work. To keep me from going crazy, I got into some of my other pastimes... This is a photo of a painting I finished up the other day, it's of a bike I built for a good friend last year. I'm going to surprise him with it...it's not perfect, but I think he will be happy.
Stay warm, this winter 'crap fest' has to end some time....and soon, I hope!

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    783.5 KB · Views: 312
Nice work Goldy and this has been the winter from hell has it not. Too damn cold and too much snow, even for here.

hello from Sussex NB, just posted up my project under the "specials" category, not really Cafe, but this site seems to be pretty busy, so I thought there might be some more like minded individuals around. I've been working on my 78 GS550, a 77 yamaha triple, and a bobbed 74 Honda cb550 that's local too. I'm hoping to be out and about this year, just a few more things to button up on mine. thought I'd drop a line and say hi!

I've been out in the shop a bunch of times in the last month. Unfortunately every time I'm out there it's to get the snow blower and blow out my driveway :(
To bloody cold..

Mysteriphys said:
hello from Sussex NB, just posted up my project under the "specials" category, not really Cafe, but this site seems to be pretty busy, so I thought there might be some more like minded individuals around. I've been working on my 78 GS550, a 77 yamaha triple, and a bobbed 74 Honda cb550 that's local too. I'm hoping to be out and about this year, just a few more things to button up on mine. thought I'd drop a line and say hi!

Welcome we like all bikes here. I grew up spending my summers in Sussex. Love it and we have a cabin in Norton we ride to every summer.

Mysteriphys said:

Welcome! Yes, some sites can be pretty bruital when it comes to this sort of work, but the most important thing to me is that you are taking a 'dead' heap of metal and putting it back onto the road again. Got a little project of my own on the specials category. Best of luck with your project...and stay warm!

And Grazz, the only thing I am driving with handlebars is a bloody snowblower too! Consistently cold since late January...seems like it has been a lot longer than that what with having to clear the driveway at least once every bloody day! If it's not actually snowing, the wind is blowing the damn stuff around instead...where the hell is global warming when you need it most?
Hang in there, in six weeks or so, things may start to turn around. :D

Six weeks....I don't know if I'm going to make it. Just cleaned up from another 30cm of snow, that was topped off by 20mm of rain; that immediately froze. Now I have five foot snowdrifts that are as hard as concrete and a skating rink covered in 8cm of solid ice at about a 20degree incline...I used to call it my driveway. Five bags of salt didn't even touch it. More snow on the way for Tuesday night and again Thursday. I may have to spend the rest of the winter in the Loonie bin.
I'm sorry for bitching, but misery loves company.

Back
Top Bottom