www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: '84 SR250 Garage build.  (Read 18207 times)

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
Re: '84 SR250 Garage build. Solo Tracker now, Cafe later.
« Reply #30 on: Apr 30, 2013, 23:13:43 »
Just got a call from JNT Performance about the velocity stack. Stupid me had put in the wrong month for the expiry for my card. They have bloody awesome customer service and I will recommend them for anyone looking for stacks or performance piping! It is great that a company will call and chat rather than email.

http://www.jntperformance.com.au/

I'm not sure, but don't ask Brodie.

Way to many build and half done projects to list here.
Sr250, Gs750, Z50A, XV1100, A10, Z160A.

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 03:30:46 »
The stack turned up today and I am bloody happy with it. I have not had a chance to go for a ride since I put it on but it fits very snug on the BS34 and needed a few taps with a rubber mallet to seat it all the way down. Looks great as well. Props to JNT again for the customer service and awesome quality item.

I am going to have to make a inner guard now and have been thinking a few ways to do it. As I went through the options I think that clear perspex cut to fit will be the way to go.
Now I just need to find some. Off to the scrap bins I go.

Offline BoJordan

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2013, 20:33:16 »
this is going to look delicious mate

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2013, 02:23:57 »
Thanks mate. Slowly making improvements. I wonder how the old girl will go pushing the Ton. I know next to know history about the engine and won't until I pull her apart for a rebuild in the future.

It is killing me not being able to ride on my own. Need to save up the cash for a full license haha. Too bloody expensive for my budget to allow. Soon enough.

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 03:52:58 »
Small update as I have had next to no progress on the bike. I fixed the side stand, made a temp inner guard and finished the rear end all in the space of three weeks. Ohh how I feel unproductive, I did change the stance a bit by raising the forks two inches in the triples. I know a lot of people frown on this but it feels to be more responsive which I am happy with. Anyway here is a picture of the new rear with the side stand fixed as well.

Offline Helak

« Reply #35 on: Jun 10, 2013, 09:06:25 »
Liking how you've gone with this so far.

How have you found the 40t sprocket? Still got a 16t front sprocket?

And how has the Velocity stack treated you?

Look forward to seeing more from you soon.
'81 Z650
'02 SR250

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #36 on: Jun 25, 2013, 11:28:04 »
Hey mate. Sorry for the late reply. The bike has been at a stand still of late. I still have not been able to give it enough testing to tell but then I did not have any before to compare it to. It pulls quite well for a 250 and have had it to 110kph without making it scream. I will be able to give it a better test in a month or so and I can sus out what needs changing and what is good. So far the 40T rear and 16T front works quite well.

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #37 on: Jul 08, 2013, 19:42:12 »
I road the bike to work last night and learnt a lot of things. I will list them just so I remember what I need to fix and so people can see the joys of riding a classic.

1. My headlight SUCKS!
2. All the gauge lights are out
3. I didn't fix the clutch slipping when I was adjusting the cable
4. My bike is not faster than a small car
5. Bar end mirrors suck at night
and finally
6. The charging system does not work well enough to power a headlight and let me start the bike the next morning.

So I am thinking that I may need new clutch springs for the slipping issue as it seemed to be happening well after the clutch had disengaged. I am also thinking I should buy a new LED headlight and a new REC/REG to see if that sorts out the charging issue (having a tiny battery does not help either). I also have a feeling that I may have had some water intake this morning leaving me thinking that the velocity stack might gain a bit of dew during the night. (She was parked outside at the girlfriends place.)

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #38 on: Jul 20, 2013, 04:23:50 »
Alright so here is a quick update. No pictures yet sorry. I have bought a new headlight that draws 3w on low beam and 9w on high. This seems to have fixed the problem I was having with the light running the battery down. I also found that my steering became quite heavy on the way home from work one wet afternoon. Seemed to be falling in to turns when I went through them as well. Wanting to get home and out of the rain I took it a bit slower and once I was home had a look. Seems all the air decided to evacuate at once and I was left with a flat. Being that it was an old and hard tyre that needed to be replace because it was hard it help up alright.
Today I decided it was time to grab a new front tyre and thought it might be easier if I had it fitted and balanced instead of me wrestling with a hard tyre on an old rim (been there, done that PITA)
When I went to pick the front wheel up the mech informed me that he didn't balance it because he had a hard time seating the new tyre and that I "would not be going fast enough for a balance to matter on my bike". After I informed him of what speeds I have done on it he informed me not to because I would "do a big end bearing". He also told me next time not to bring a rim in on a saturday as it was a "tuesday job". Needless to say I was not impressed with the attitude but was sympathetic knowing that it would have been a PITA. All in all not sure if I will go back there since every time I have dealt with them over 4 years they have been rude or unwilling to help. Was not planning on taking it there today but they were one of two places that had the right size tyre.
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2013, 04:25:25 by bvander »

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
Re: '84 SR250 Garage build.
« Reply #39 on: Jul 29, 2013, 21:50:06 »
Alright so I have finally decided to get off my ass and update this thread. So I have been working on a few things but really have just been fixing problems. I have been having an issue with the clutch and after trying to convert it to a hydraulic style I have given up and gone back to cable. I ordered some new clutch springs today which should hopefully fix the issue once and for all. I have been able to adjust the cable so that it is not slipping to much any more but it seems to go away once the bike is warmed up.

As for the charging issue I was having it has been fixed by the new headlight. As an added advantage I CAN SEE IN FRONT OF ME NOW! The new LED headlight compared to the original is night and day (pun intended) So that seems to be all good. The battery has been staying full charged and I have not had to push start the bike since.

Now I need to sort out the jetting. I need at least a size up on each which I will go and get tomorrow on my day off. I also seem to have an erratic idle problem until the bike is warmed up. I am thinking this is because of having a CV carb with a velocity stack stuck on it. Thursday I will be heading over to a friend house to work on his bike. An unmolested SR250 that is in need of a top end rebuild.

I have a few plans for this bike but I know I will need to force myself to buy a part until I will get motivated to start with it. It is going to be expensive but worth it. Just need a 83mm piston to start with then a good machine shop. Once I sort out these bills (never ending I tell you) I might be able to get somewhere.

Anyway here are a few pictures to see progress. The first is how she sits as of three weeks ago. Not much has changed apart from the headlight and front tyre.
Second is the new headlight, third is with the park light on and last is everything off but new front tyre.