appliance paint vs caliper paint

jaymi608

So what's the deal? I am going to paint my rims and was wondering what your experience was with each. I have painted some smalls with the caliper paint and it seems pretty tough. Never used the appliance paint though.

You opinions matter!

Refrigerator paint is cool. (pun intended)

I am using Rustoleum Appliance Paint (Epoxy Paint) with good results.

As long as there isn't heat.

Appliances need good paint, cleanable, high gloss. if you are looking for a glossy paint, it works. Colors are the issue. Unless you like Avocado Green...LOL.

The black Epoxy Appliance paint and white epoxy appliance paint are pretty good in my book.

Almond is a pretty decent shade, using it on a CL100 frame right now. They've also come out with a stainless steel look, have not tried it yet. I can say that the white holds up well, used it to repaint the feed hopper on a pecan cleaning machine that is kept outside. 1 year and no blemishes yet.

Ok my next question is how much paint do you let get around the edge of the rim? Were the tire rubber actually sets. Are you painting the entire thing inside and out?

Ok, if you're going to paint your rims, do the right thing and take the tires off. That's in my opinion the bare minimum. You'll see some guys tape off their tires (it's comical sometimes - you'll see black overspray on the tires that got past the tape).

To do it 'right' you disassemble the wheels. Remove the tires, de-lace the rims. Prep and paint the rims. Prep and paint or polish or just bead blast the hubs. Re-lace the rims with fresh spokes or the originals if in decent shape. Put the tires back on. Balance, install, ride.

If this is just a quick and dirty paint job to look good from 20 feet, then mask off the tires and spray away.

Tires are already off so we're good there. With that said is it ok to paint where the tire meets the rim? Also I have read NEVER to use old spokes as they have already been stretched and reusing them adds more stress. Any thoughts on that? This will be a "20 feet away" job at the moment. Hoping for the "10 feet away" results though. There is a guy 20 minutes from me that charges $40 per rim for PC and I will be doing that this summer sometime (not in the budget right now).

Thanks again!

Yes, it's okay to coat the bead. It's not going to hurt anything. Just remember to lube the crap out of it when mounting the tire. And appliance paint is an epoxy, caliper paint is not. Epoxy is way tougher than lacquer or acrylic after it cures (which literally takes a month...will be dry over night but not fully cured), but it is good stuff.

Yea, make you let it sit for a solid 24-48 hrs after you paint with epoxy especially if the temp is on lower than 70.. If you do it too early you will kick yourself in the pants when it gets messed up. You know its hard enough when you can't push your fingernail in it and it leaves a mark(do this on the inside of the rim to test). But I paint everything engine related in my boats with that, holds up very well and stays shinny.

If the spokes are in good shape, I would re-use them. They are always under stress. As long as they haven't been over-tightened, they will not get weaker.

Fresh spokes cost anywhere from about $45 for plated spokes, to about $113 for Stainless spokes from Buchanan's.

I used the stainless ones. Unpolished. They look like plated, but will not rust. But the old spokes, unless really rusty, will work fine.

And do yourself a favor...

If you decide to paint the spokes and hub, still completely tear the wheel down as Tim stated. Painting it all as on piece will end up looking less than grade A. You also never want to paint the spoke nuts (nipples) as any time you need to adjust or re-true, you'll ruin the finish.

Back
Top Bottom