Exposed Tank

Hey Guys,

I've got a finish question for my Honda CB450. When I bought it the previous owner put this putty like material over the corner of the tank, presumably because it had chipped off. I want to preserve the original finish, but this half ass patch job looks awful.

I haven't taken all the putty off because I want a game plan for when I do. What I would like to do is clean the exposed area and put some type of clear finish over it to protect the tank. I don't care that you will be able to see a little bare metal, it's much better than putty and a red marker. While I'm at it, are the original finishes poly?

Thanks!

Here you can get an approximate size of the front part of the tank.
a466f6fc749411e2aa6822000a9f1730_7.jpg

Here's some close up shots.

Looks like JB Weld.

It will leak eventually - the only sure-fire way of sealing a tank is using an in-tank sealer (or welding up the hole).

It's a pretty common failure point. If you use a tank sealer (I like POR-15) then you can carefully clean up the repair afterwards.

Thanks for the tip. I think I'll seal the tank, then re-do the exterior with clear JB weld, or something similar. Sound like a decent idea?

JB Weld, Bondo, whatever. As long as you ensure it doesn't get gas seeping out behind it, it will be fine.

You can always check with a local radiator shop. They repair them fairly inexpensively based on the amount of money you would spend on parts and products alone and it will then be done professionally. Not saying all "professionals" are better than the garage builders but if you take it to a good shop they should do a good job... I think last time I checked in this area (Indiana) it was around 50 bucks to clean/de-rust and 100 to do that plus add a sealer inside the tank to ensure no leakage ever again, just like a radiator... You can spend 50-125 bucks on the materials alone if you go with por-15, kreem, redcote, or the like... I would check with a local radiator shop before you go spending money on something like that, especially if you've never done it before.. Most of the kits work like they're supposed to but the prep is everything. Bad prep and it will peel and flake off and then you're buying a new tank. It's a PITA to get back out and most radiator shops wont touch it then, or charge you a crap ton of money.

I like "hi temp Lab Metal". I get it from Eastwood. I powder all my tanks and this stuff cures hard after 425 for 60 minutes. Hell you could repair an exhaust manifold with that stuff. Then I powder them and use a tank sealer. Good as new and double protected from leaks.

Back
Top Bottom