SR500 Project

SONICJK

Reminds me of...me No, I'm sure of it. I hate him
I just set up a deal for a SR500.
Plan is a slow steady tracker cruiser enduro whoknowswhatitllbe kinda thing

Its ROUGH. Like rough rough. But it apparently runs.
But for 100 bucks I figure why not?

I know for a fact I'm going to need a set of forks, the ones on it are trash it seems
Anyone know of any readily available forks that are a straight swap? XS650 maybe?

Score! I have heard that '77 and up XS650 forks are a straight swap. I can't speak from experience though.

And here she is looking like an absolute turd.

null_zps7e4b1bbc.jpg

After about an hour, cleaning the vm36, she started up
B7BA4073-2DA1-429E-BBC9-95C463142E32-16044-00000314332E27FC_zpsc007d235.mp4

But the clutch was stuck solid and it wouldn't go into gear when running.
So I tore into her for the first time.
Reeeeeeeally simple motor.
About 5 minutes I had the clutch pulled and soaked it in new oil and reinstalled and worked like a top.

And I even got to ride down the road for about 1/2 mile before I had to push it home because I have no petcock so I was running off only the fuel in the carb haha

Awesome! I likely need to open my motor up but will see. Nice thing about singles is not only are they simple but they're cheap to rebuild too :)

Hot cam, big piston...

Tim said:
Awesome! I likely need to open my motor up but will see. Nice thing about singles is not only are they simple but they're cheap to rebuild too :)

Hot cam, big piston...

What's going on in your motor?
After rebuilding my 400f I could probably do this one in a few hours haha.

Even with no air filter, an incorrectly jetted carb, and running rough it's faster than I expected. About threw myself off the back the first time I twisted the throttle hard. This ones going to be fun

Need some opinions on a tank
What do you guys think of what I'm currently running?

The capacity is a bit limited, but it gets the job done and I kind of like the look...gives it a real hand made look: /sarcasm

null_zps6413068c.jpg

And here's a close up for reference
null_zpsd4469975.jpg

hillsy said:
Just use a Camelback - and take the fuel with you......

Great theft deterrant ;)

That sir is an EXCELLENT idea.

As a bonus, I HATE hospital bills. If i go your route im almost guaranteed to not have to pay them should i wreck/burst into flame.

Run an external oil tank and use the oil-in-frame as your fuel. Might be limited range though :)

If you have a chance I'd be keen to know the jetting/needles/slide etc. setup of your VM36. I need to jet mine. Have some baselines from the 'web but always good to hear from a real running bike.

Is that a Supertrapp or just a short megaphone? I have a Supertrapp on mine welded to the OEM header. Can't wait to hear it.

It's a supertrap clamped to the factory header. Sounds pretty damn good for a thumper.

The jetting I haven't really even looked at much, all I know is the main is a 230 next time I take it apart ill look around and find the other specs for you.

And 33 dollars and 20 minutes later and she is titled and registered.
Gotta love tn!
So for 133 dollars I've got a titled running sr500.
I'm okay with that :)

SONICJK said:
And 33 dollars and 20 minutes later and she is titled and registered.
Gotta love tn!
So for 133 dollars I go a titled running sr500.
I'm okay with that :)

Thats an awesome score! and leave the 'tank'. its awesome.

Bert Jan said:
Thats an awesome score! and leave the 'tank'. its awesome.

Haha thanks Bert, but I think im going to mount up a rd400 tank if I can get my hands on one. Or anything relatively narrow and square? I hate the stock teardrop tank.
Anyone?

Well, I was going to stay drag it over in your truck and let's test fit a 4.75 gallon Mustang I've got in the forge, but... Bring it and the stock tank over and we can try to play "mix and match" from the ones I have on hand. The flat track type tank on my bagged bar hopper is, at 2 gallons or so, too small for my bike (98 Suzuki 650 single). Or there is the CL72 tank, but it has a dual outlet petcock... Have access to a few more, lots of dead bikes in my area.

$133 huh, I'll give you $134 as is...

Make it 137.46 and its yours!
(kidding)
I'm in love with this one already.
I have a problem, I need a shrink.

SONICJK said:
Make it 137.46 and its yours!
(kidding)
I'm in love with this one already.
I have a problem, I need a shrink.

Ill go $150 and a case of Schlitz. You deliver?

VonYinzer said:
Ill go $150 and a case of Schlitz. You deliver?
Schlitz is a bit high class for me, make it a 45 of steel reserve and you're on

Ordered some Shinko 705s from power sport superstore.
They are in tx, I got a shipping confirmation last night about 10 pm, I checked the status and it said "hasn't been dropped at ups facility yet"

So I checked it this morning
"On truck for delivery"

They overnighted my tires for 8.99 and they had the best price on the Interweb.

This build is going do well I'm getting worried something is going to go catastrophically wrong

Back
Top Bottom