Bell Bullitt

I don't mind spending the money on a really good retro styled lid as long as it has the protection and conveniences of a modern full face helmet. I guess we won't know till March, but to me this sounds like a much nicer alternative to the Gringo.

Found another shot, this time of somewhere wearing the prototype and in all black

Looks way better than the Gringo IMHO.

The flat shield version hardly looks vintage at all. Better off just getting a modern lid.

I really like the flat shield version.
And it is a modern lid, just with less power ranger styling and graphics.
I'd agree it barely looks vintage. But who cares? I like the look.

$400 just seems to steep for what it is, get a better lid for not much more. Doesn't look vintage anyways.

The whole point of the Buillitt was to be a vintage style modern helmet. Take away the vintage style and you're left with a modern helmet. So might as well spend $400 on a new fullface with better features.

DrJ said:
The whole point of the Buillitt was to be a vintage style modern helmet. Take away the vintage style and you're left with a modern helmet. So might as well spend $400 on a new fullface with better features.

To me its still "vintage styled" just more like the 2005 mustang was vintage styled, like a modern version with vintage styling cues. As opposed to straight copy an unsafe design from the 70's and reproduce it.

It's growing on me, especially after reading the spec comparison to the Gringo. The price is really not that bad for a good modern helmet, I just have a tendency to compare all lids to my $90 Fulmer V2. Might be looking into this for a late Christmas gift to myself (apparently isn't coming out until the beginning of the year)

I think if the flat shield was clear, showing off the thin chin bar, it would look more 'vintage'. Shame about those protruding bevels on the shield pivot. In another color, with contrasting grills for the vent, it would again look less modern.

I'm interested in trying one on, but I doubt it will feel better than my RF1100 that was the same price.

coyote13 said:
It's growing on me, especially after reading the spec comparison to the Gringo. The price is really not that bad for a good modern helmet, I just have a tendency to compare all lids to my $90 Fulmer V2. Might be looking into this for a late Christmas gift to myself (apparently isn't coming out until the beginning of the year)

I will continue to make fun of it until I hear that it vents as well as a modern lid. There's a lot of function that I would expect to come with that price tag.

I think that picture and the color scheme isn't doing that helmet justice. Though I agree it should be practical for that kind of money, I still think that cream and red one looks awesome. It would look great with a clear or a gold visor if they made it, make the cream and red really pop. But I agree, when my bike is done it will be time to get another helmet as well. And if this doesn't fit and/or perform for the money, I'm going to get an Arai.

Arai... best helmet I've ever owned. Period.

I've had Bell, Simpson, Shoei, etc. The Arai fit's me best, bar none. 8)

I'm due for a new one too, now that I think about it...

yup i wear an XD3 arai i love the fit and having the sun visor is a bonus + it is pinlock compatable

Drewski, did you try on a bunch of different helmets? I know they have a bunch of different head shapes to choose from, how did you know which one to choose? I have a Shoei Qwest and though its comfy and quite, I find its a little bulky and it tends to tilt up. I find I have to pull the chin down and reposition at times.

Tim said:
I think if the flat shield was clear, showing off the thin chin bar, it would look more 'vintage'. Shame about those protruding bevels on the shield pivot. In another color, with contrasting grills for the vent, it would again look less modern.

I'm interested in trying one on, but I doubt it will feel better than my RF1100 that was the same price.

I agree, you can kind of tell what it would look like on the other prototype pic I found with the clear shield even though most of it is covered. Plus the shield may change in design from prototype to finished product. The prototype seems to have very sharp edges where I would think a more beveled shield would be more retro.

If nothing else it seems to fit better than the Gringo, which always seems to sit too high on the head in the pictures (haven't tried one on in person).

It does seem to have vents at the top above the shield, I guess time will tell how well it works in reality.

ronnie said:
Drewski, did you try on a bunch of different helmets? I know they have a bunch of different head shapes to choose from, how did you know which one to choose? I have a Shoei Qwest and though its comfy and quite, I find its a little bulky and it tends to tilt up. I find I have to pull the chin down and reposition at times.

Everyone's head is different - you need to try on gazillions of helmets before buying. When I bought my first Shoei RF1000, I tried Arai and other models and found the RF1000 to fit me best. I crashed that one, and went straight to the RF1100, but not before trying it on and confirming size etc. I actually went down from a Large to a Medium.

I do find my RF1100 can 'lift' a bit at high speed. I might explore thicker cheek pads for it to snug it up. But it's super light, comfortable and extremely well vented. It does like all other helmets fog up in extreme conditions, but generally speaking it's good in that regard.

Don't spend money on a lid before walking around in a shop wearing it for 10-15 minutes if you can.

Yea doesn't look too shabby.. That color doesn't do it justice though haha! But the only thing I can qualm about is the face shield not mating with the helmet, looks like a gap on the top when it's closed. But may not be a final model?

-sent from sea via corked bottle

Back
Top Bottom