64 Triumph Trophy Bobber (Now FS)

Re: WTF did I get myself into 64 Triumph Trophy Bobber

Hoosier Daddy said:
Before grinding on the fins I'd check for direction here... Somebody in the Triumph section should know the answer I would think.
http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

This site makes my brain hurt, was it designed by a kid in his Jr High computer class?? Be it as it may, I have signed up and am asking for some advice.

Chop Cult man. Hang out at Chop Cult. Jockey Journal is good too, just don't tell them you own Japanese bikes too ???

JSJamboree said:
Not nearly as many as our good sir brad... 1) Stock RD 2) Race RD 3) Triumph... I think brad is up to what like 7?

continue working on your RD...believe me i ´ll pay off :)

Ryan Stecken said:
continue working on your RD...believe me i ´ll pay off :)

No fear, the race RD is still in full swing, this triumph is more of a side project.

Fuck no, now I've got the push rod tubes on and the head sits 1/8" off the jugs, with the smallest washers.. This thing is a mess.

I looked it up 1/8 gap is to spec....lucky for you, the pinko work force that wroth the manual for you bike waited until, the chapter after the push rod tube install to go on strike. your on your own for the valve & clutch adjustment and wiring those pages are blank

Aircoolin said:
Still watching anxiously ;D

Joey

Hopefully I wont lose all my friends, but I sent this bike to someone that knew what they were doing. They should be getting the motor up and running then i'll be getting it back to finish the rest.

JSJamboree said:
Hopefully I wont lose all my friends, but I sent this bike to someone that knew what they were doing. They should be getting the motor up and running then i'll be getting it back to finish the rest.

There's nothing wrong with that. I remember reading somewhere on here that a well respected member said "we have to admit when we can't do it all". Can't wait to see what you do with it. Triumph bobbers are the coolest.

Joey

Still waiting to get it back from the shop.. He's.... slow to say the least. I went and checked it out a couple weeks ago and it ended up some of it was done wrong to begin with so he had to take it all back apart. Should be getting it back in a couple weeks I hope. Enough time to finish some wiring and get ready in time to ride.

You have the wrong combination of tappet blocks, tubes, and head. That is NOT all matching/original stuff

You can make these things work, just takes a plumber's swaging tool and some patience.

After 11 months, I finally got the bike back. Motor fires up and runs, I still need to setup all of the electronics, set up the drive chain, brakes... Sure there is more. However, progress should start happening now.
f26660100c3376c0f21a11b5f5d46462.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang, that's looking nice.

As to farming out work you aren't up to (for WHATEVER reason), I like "Dirty" Harry Callaghan (Clint Eastwood) putting it this way: "A man's got to know his limitations".

I've done quite a lot on old bikes over the years, but I KNOW MY LIMITATIONS.

I don't paint. Not that I CAN'T paint, but to do it right would take up more than half of my shop.

I don't do machine work (not in my own shop, anyway). Again, too much space required, and the equipment cost BIG bucks. I couldn't amortize that cost out, in exchange for what I pay to get it done by my machinist of 30 years.

I don't do powdercoat, lace wheels or polish aluminum engine covers and what-not. I tried polishing a few times, it's WAY too much work, and very dirty (so I can't do it inside in air conditioning).

I haven't busted a tire on a rim in years. There's a guy down the street that will do it for $10.

Other than that...

grandpaul said:
Dang, that's looking nice.

As to farming out work you aren't up to (for WHATEVER reason), I like "Dirty" Harry Callaghan (Clint Eastwood) putting it this way: "A man's got to know his limitations".

Its a damn good thing that I didn't attempt it, there were 1/2 dozen things that were for different year motors cobbled into one. Now with Triumphs its usually possible to make them all work, but you really have to know what your doing to make them work correctly. The shop has been working on triumphs for 40 years so they have alot of extra parts they were able to swap over to make it more correct (ex push rod tubes). Im sure if I tired I would have had 2-3 sets of tappet blocks/tubes until I got something that worked. Not to mention there were bushing and shit that were worn that I wouldn't have realized. I'll stick to motor building Jap bikes for now.

Rad bike man. Glad the build is moving forward.

Back
Top Bottom