CB550K: Gutted.Cafe.NOS.Big Bore.Kick Only.

Re: CB550K: Gutted, Cafe, OEM+, Engine Rebuild, Bare Bones, Kick Only!

New indoor salvage yard opened. Pulled 2 cb650 cams today. :)

Also installed my shaved swing arm with brass bushings. What a tight fit in the frame. Big ordeal getting it in!

2qir0rd.jpg

2hr28o7.jpg

apbcyt.jpg

33f6zwj.jpg

wiuhlg.jpg

xtoi.jpg

4sd4lw.jpg

I also installed an All Ballz tapered headset. So smooth. :)

w9k2eq.jpg

Rebuilt my cam chain tensioner with a new OEM guide, blade and hardware today.

fjnkgl.jpg

Closer shot of where the seat bracket used to be. Have to work on the rear loop next.

zwdk0i.jpg

Cleaned out 40 years of grim, new 17t front sprocket and I cleaned/bundled the wiring from the alternator to the modern reg/rectifier.

ta3clh.jpg

Looking good and great plans but are the scotch locks in the headlight shell a temporary thing? I've found they don't last too we'll in my experience. Better it solder the wires tbh.

Pod70 said:
Looking good and great plans but are the scotch locks in the headlight shell a temporary thing? I've found they don't last too we'll in my experience. Better it solder the wires tbh.

Thanks. They are temporary. I wanted to make sure everything worked. I have to remove them and solder in quite a few different spots yet. There are only 8 wires for the entire rig 8)

Hello trad and welcome to DDT!
I like your choice of color,but i think u should go for a White,latte or champagne frame to that option. ;)
Nice Bike ;)!
Keep us posted. Cheers Jorgen

Floegstad said:
Hello trad and welcome to DDT!
I like your choice of color,but i think u should go for a White,latte or champagne frame to that option. ;)
Nice Bike ;)!
Keep us posted. Cheers Jorgen

Hey Jorgen. Thanks for the input. Thinking about it now, that would be a nice accent. I just can't find it in me to strip it down to the frame again and repaint it. haha

Plus, black is so easy to touch up if needed. ;)

Maybe I should revisit my color choices? open to opinions for sure.

Different can sometimes be good ;) (says the guy who clearcoated rust red primer)

Floegstad said:
Different can sometimes be good ;) (says the guy who clearcoated rust red primer)

That's rad though! From what I can see in your avatar, the bike looks great. I'm leaving my frame black, to much work left to do any back tracking.

in that case, what about a dark-dark red semigloss paint wilh some gold pinstripes or something?
Your seat -tank combo needs to stay classy in my thoughts! (Bad english=drunk Norwegian)
;D

........Or maybe British racing green-ish.......

Haha, I get what your saying. I wold choose the green over the red. Primer brown/red is nice but it looks like I've already been beaten to the punch on that one.

Honestly, I'd be willing to do pin striping and think it looks great but It seems everyone and there uncle does that on these combos. I was thinking for the paint scheme to be seemingly un-classy, boarder line ugly (but well done)..............That's something you don't see everyday on a Benjies combo. ;D

But who knows. It still a ways off. Paint will likely be the last thing I do before my long Canadian winter is over. I sure your Norwegian winters are similar?

My biggest concern right now is getting my engine together and running like a top.

Trad said:
I was thinking for the paint scheme to be seemingly un-classy, boarder line ugly (but well done)..............That's something you don't see everyday on a Benjies combo. ;D

But who knows. It still a ways off. Paint will likely be the last thing I do before my long Canadian winter is over. I sure your Norwegian winters are similar?

My biggest concern right now is getting my engine together and running like a top.
Thats right we allso got massive winthers,and for my self i am maybe experimenting to much with colors and different setups,but the snow will might not be gone untill may so time is plentiful.
Anyways i`m tuned in to see how this turns out,and your paint scheme might be rad 8)
good luck with the engine!

Floegstad said:
Thats right we allso got massive winthers,and for my self i am maybe experimenting to much with colors and different setups,but the snow will might not be gone untill may so time is plentiful.
Anyways i`m tuned in to see how this turns out,and your paint scheme might be rad 8)
good luck with the engine!

Thanks man! Long winter ahead so it's all about pace.

Since I shaved my rear passenger peg mounts I will have to get a custom bracket for the rear sets. I have been talking with Devin at Cognito and he's been great.

Looking for any other options when it comes to rear sets and brackets. I am leaning toward the Tarozzi's.

Re: CB550K: Gutted, Cafe, OEM+, Engine Rebuild, Bare Bones, Kick Only

So I purchase a NOS 74 550 tank in the original color this bike was! WHAT A SCORE! I'm going to be selling my BRC set up and running the NOS tank. I am now undecided on the seat.

28vxbuv.jpg

In other updated I shaved some more brackets, brushed a bunch of engine pieces and pretty much been slacking. ;D

Trad said:
New indoor salvage yard opened. Pulled 2 cb650 cams today. :)

Also installed my shaved swing arm with brass bushings. What a tight fit in the frame. Big ordeal getting it in!

2qir0rd.jpg

where is this salvage yard?

Back
Top Bottom