CB550K: Gutted.Cafe.NOS.Big Bore.Kick Only.

Re: CB550K: Gutted, Cafe, OEM+, Engine Rebuild, Bare Bones, Kick Only

Drey6 said:
Shit.

I meant to tell you. Just last night a member on here finally messaged me back. $150 shipped for his 550 stock 4-1 set up. Thanks for putting effort in for me though, I appreciate it!

It's all good, I was gonna report back. I found two decent sets, If the other deal falls through let me know. They want 180 for either.

iGreek said:
I like where you are going with this so far, man. Getting new OEM stuff is great, isn't it?

Thank you. It is great but it's not too great on the wallet. haha

CB550K: Gutted, Cafe, OEM+, Engine Rebuild, Bare Bones, Kick Only

Well the money has been
PayPal-ed, so I'd hope it doesn't fall through!

Drey6 said:
Well the money has been
PayPal-ed, so I'd hope it doesn't fall through!

Haha, well anything can happen.

I'm sure it'll go smooth.

Pulled the carbs off to rebuild and polish. With a little help from Harisuluv on the forum. Sending them out tonight.

I polished up the insides of the intake manifold and got new OEM insulators and O-rings.

Slowly but surly.

os5u34.jpg

20zycnq.jpg

Cognito Moto sells rearset brackets.

john83 said:
Cognito Moto sells rearset brackets.

I've been in correspondence with them. He's out of stock at the moment but should have more soon. Thanks for input.

Ordered one of these from the nice guys at Heat Break Cycle Works.

jhd17p.jpg

This should clean the front end up nicely.

Baby steps today. Did a lot of adjusting and mock up for various projects I have going on for this thing. (electronics tray, seat, etc.)

I did get to sanding all the casting marks out of the sprocket cover. 60 grit to 220 then scotch bright. Going to continue the brushed theme on the alloy seat, engine, and whatever else I decide to do. Trying to keep the polished and chrome to the wheels and forks only.

a5axl2.jpg

I dig it, makes me really want to build another 500/550.

Swear I commented on this build b4. can't seem to find them.

Great looking 550, love the 550.

wish I could find a basket case around here.

Following this one for inspiration.

Quick question for you... you mentioned a tight fit on the swingarm after bronze bushings... Did you keep or ditch the dustcaps? My CB200 swingarm is now very tight without the caps, no way it will fit with the caps... just wondering how it's working for you?

Tifun said:
I dig it, makes me really want to build another 500/550.

Thanks dude. Appreciate it!

budlite282 said:
Swear I commented on this build b4. can't seem to find them.

Great looking 550, love the 550.

wish I could find a basket case around here.

Following this one for inspiration.

That's because you did on SOHC4 ;) thanks again man.

DetroitStyle said:
Quick question for you... you mentioned a tight fit on the swingarm after bronze bushings... Did you keep or ditch the dustcaps? My CB200 swingarm is now very tight without the caps, no way it will fit with the caps... just wondering how it's working for you?

No problem. I ended up shaving some material off of the dust caps and polishing them up. I didn't take much off them at all to be honest. It was still tight as fuck. I lined everything up and actually hit the frame from the top into the supported swing arm underneath. If that makes sense? Under the weight of the bike you cannot feel that the swing arm is a bit snug. It'll loosen up after a few real rips around town.

Trad said:
No problem. I ended up shaving some material off of the dust caps and polishing them up. I didn't take much off them at all to be honest. It was still tight as fuck. I lined everything up and actually hit the frame from the top into the supported swing arm underneath. If that makes sense? Under the weight of the bike you cannot feel that the swing arm is a bit snug. It'll loosen up after a few real rips around town.

Cool... thanks, I understood what you were saying about getting it in there. I had to use a plastic mallet to get it (without the caps). It moves, with about 5-10lbs of pressure, so my 180lbs should do well enough once I'm on it.

So I put a deposit in with Benjie from BCR for a custom alloy cafe seat with ribbed brown leather. I will be leaving the tank brushed and it will be designed along the lines of the second photo of the low cowel Kott Motorcycles seat. I will have him make a custom bracket to act as a rear brace as well as the mount for the seat. Se excited for this. :)

dqmxac.png

le1x1.jpg

Don't mind the wife's bedding decoration.

BUT the NOS tank arrived today safe and sound. It had some areas with 40 years of dust and cob webs but DAMN it cleaned up nice! Anyone have any advice for removing scuffs on single stage paint? I'm leery using an abrasive. Also, I have a new gas cap for this. Does the pin just hammer out for removal?

No dents, dings, chips etc. Pretty impressed to be honest. I was expecting worse, especially with how careful the Post is. ::)

20r07t0.jpg

2gsfitv.jpg

2u4sk1z.jpg

Back
Top Bottom