CB550K: Gutted.Cafe.NOS.Big Bore.Kick Only.

Re: CB550K: Gutted, Cafe, OEM+, Engine Rebuild, Bare Bones, Kick Only

Finnigan said:
tank envy

I'll just leave these here again then..... ;D I'm seriously in awe that I found this. Wonder how many true NOS SOHC gas tanks are still out there.

20r07t0.jpg

2gsfitv.jpg

TonUpTracker said:
That's a very nice tank. Build looking good

Cheers mate. Just waiting for parts to arrive and I will continue on.

Trad said:
I'm drawing a blank. Michael Winter?

Yessir. Good lookin build so far. Knowing how dialed your bikes always are, I'm sure this one will be no exception!

Re: CB550K: Gutted, Cafe, NOS, Big Bore, Bare Bones, Kick Only!

What color is that tank? That's unbelievably gorgeous.

Withers said:
What color is that tank? That's unbelievably gorgeous.

Thanks man, it sure is. haha. It's the factory paint, "Freedom Green Metallic with Black"

Helve said:
Yessir. Good lookin build so far. Knowing how dialed your bikes always are, I'm sure this one will be no exception!

Thanks Michael! I saw your bike on instagram. Plans?

Alright, Cylinder is bored and honed for the 60mm dynoman pistons. These are the flat top JE 10.5:1 Pistons. What octane is recommended? 93?

Cylinder Head has been cleaned right up and rebuilt. I had to find a new one after the machine shop broke those fins on the first :mad: The cases were painted black and I decided to leave the cylinder and the head in raw alloy, untreated/painted.

I spent a bunch time brushing alloy bits on the engine. Also, I bought a DSLR so photos should be getting a lot better from here on out.

zvv5lh.jpg

My carbs got finished up by Harisluv. I am no carb expert so I wanted to make sure they are rebuilt before the engine fires for the first time and the piston rings seal. Last thing I want is to have my fresh cylinder walls gas washed.

110 mains 40 slow, needle clip in the 5th position from the top and air screws turned 1.5 out. These are 73 CB 500 carbs BTW.

Thanks again James, They look beautiful!

xldwyq.jpg

295x34p.jpg

I spent about 2 hours with the wire wheel and scotch-brite cleaning and finishing the Carpy pipe. I'm going to leave it in the raw stainless steel. I am tempted to ceramic coat it for the reduced heat, but I flat out love the look of the raw steel. Thoughts?

Still waiting on my 358a webcam, BCR alloy seat, and shaved tripe clamp to arrive. I don't really have much to do other than fab up the electronics box while I wait for these parts.

iee3yo.jpg

Trad said:
Thanks man, it sure is. haha. It's the factory paint, "Freedom Green Metallic with Black"

Wow, that looks quite a bit different than I expected. I'll be curious to see what it looks like in daylight.

What I thought Freedom Green looked like
T150FGe6.jpg

Withers said:
Wow, that looks quite a bit different than I expected. I'll be curious to see what it looks like in daylight.

What I thought Freedom Green looked like
T150FGe6.jpg

Those are both the same colour, just one was taken with better lighting. Nice score on the tank, it is a beaut!

CB550K: Gutted, Cafe, NOS, Big Bore, Bare Bones, Kick Only!

Great work so far man, that tank is unbelievable.

Withers said:

Like Maritime said, those are the same colour. I just took the photo with crap lighting with my iPhone. ;)

I'll get some good photos soon when I mock it up with the new triple clamp.

DV2000NJ said:
Great work so far man, that tank is unbelievable.

Thanks for looking man. Still a ways to go.

On another note, I started playing around with the new DLSR. Thought I'd try a close up photo on these NOS rocker arms from David Silvers. I should have cleaned off the dust nibs. Ah well. Like I said, the photos should be getting better.

1412qvm.jpg

Very cool. I use my crappy android phone in a dimly lit basement so I know what you mean, that pic is cool.

Thanks Maritime. Appreciated mate!

So Benjie at BCR gave me a little update on my custom alloy seat. The blend to the front of the tank will bolt on with the upholstery. He built it exactly to my spec and dimensions so I'm more than happy. It still needs to be smoothed out and given a brushed finish. I will be mounting a tail light under the cowl on a bolt on cross brace I am making that will bolt onto the stock fork ears.

206mtug.jpg

wj9aux.jpg

rruj2x.jpg

More progress on the seat. The seat pan/blend really smooths out the lines of the bike. The entire pan will be wrapped in brown ribbed leather. I'm really happy with what Benjie has created here for me so far. The finish on the tail will be a brushed satin.

au9kxh.jpg

Re: CB550K: Gutted.Cafe.NOS.Big Bore.Kick Only! Update: Final a rolling chassis

Well, today I got my shaved stem/triple clamp mounted. I'm really liking how it tidied up the cockpit. I had to polish the powered-coat because there were a few flaws I wasn't happy with. Started with 800 wet and went to 2000 then used a medium compound with the orbital. Polishing powder is like paint but you don't really have to worry as much about burning through like you could clear coat.

So the chassis is done! From the wheels, swing arm, forks, and steering. I decided to mock the tank up, really excited to see how it looks with the alloy BCR seat. All in all, it's been a productive day........also got to take 5 photos before the camera died. :p Don't mind the electrical tape, it's temporary. The clutch cable was rubbing off the paint on the bucket. Need to get a soft housing for the cable in that spot.

2mer7fa.jpg

10fanp3.jpg

10r3515.jpg

And the workspace, it's filthy. Working on the Cuda's transmission as well.

rmtc9x.jpg

Back
Top Bottom