CB550K: Gutted.Cafe.NOS.Big Bore.Kick Only.

Re: CB550K: Gutted.Cafe.NOS.Big Bore.Kick Only! Update: Final a rolling chassis

Hoping someone will offer up an opinion before I purchase a tail light. Option, 1, 2, or something else?

Option one is from Prism. This is a high quality light with a real brass housing. I think this will accent well with the gold/brass pinstripe on the tank. I do however feel it will very subtle mounted under the rear seat cowl.

352rtvo.jpg

Option two is a more affordable bar style tail light. I would mount this on the bolt on cross brace I am making for the rear of the bike. It will be a bit more stand out.

aad2k2.jpg

CB550K: Gutted.Cafe.NOS.Big Bore.Kick Only! Update: Final a rolling chassis

I like the first one but under the seat cowl may look a bit odd since it is round.

Looks good so far. Some nice ideas in play. I chose to integrate the tail light into the rear of the seat so that it is curved like the bottom and when it is off, can't be seen at all. I like to hide everything I can. Good job.

I'd go for #2 if you're mounting it under the seat.

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm still leaving toward the first but I should probably just wait until I get the seat mocked up. I should have it in my possession in a few weeks.

Pulled the front rotor off to send off to Tom at TrueDisk. Going to get it surfaced and drilled. I haven't decided on a pattern yet though. I also wet sanded the centre for VHT calliper paint once I get it back.

I also made a DIY plate mount and had it powder coated. I'm happy with the outcome and it was super cheap to make.

Then I flipped the fork ears, ground off the chrome and tidied the wires and cables in the cockpit are. Looks clean now.

Little bit of progress as often as I can.

4qsuba.jpg

jg350w.jpg

2w5oeuc.jpg

5foqqx.jpg

CB550K: Gutted.Cafe.NOS.Big Bore.Kick Only! Update: Final a rolling chassis

Lookin' good boss

Re: CB550K: Gutted, Cafe, NOS, Big Bore, Bare Bones, Kick Only!

If that header is truly stainless steel, leave it uncoated. It'll turn a beautiful golden color after some heat cycles and it won't rust.

If it is mild steel....it will rust. It will need painting or coating.
I had the turbo exhaust housing of my VW racer coated in "titanium" at a local powdercoated that looks a lot like stainless. Pricey, but purty! It won't have the same lustre and hue variation like real stainless tubes have tho.

Trad said:
I spent about 2 hours with the wire wheel and scotch-brite cleaning and finishing the Carpy pipe. I'm going to leave it in the raw stainless steel. I am tempted to ceramic coat it for the reduced heat, but I flat out love the look of the raw steel. Thoughts?

Still waiting on my 358a webcam, BCR alloy seat, and shaved tripe clamp to arrive. I don't really have much to do other than fab up the electronics box while I wait for these parts.

iee3yo.jpg

Re: CB550K: Gutted, Cafe, NOS, Big Bore, Bare Bones, Kick Only!

Mike Lawless said:
If that header is truly stainless steel, leave it uncoated. It'll turn a beautiful golden color after some heat cycles and it won't rust.

If it is mild steel....it will rust. It will need painting or coating.
I had the turbo exhaust housing of my VW racer coated in "titanium" at a local powdercoated that looks a lot like stainless. Pricey, but purty! It won't have the same lustre and hue variation like real stainless tubes have tho.

Thanks for the input. It is for sure stainless steel. The flanges are not and were already showing surface rust. I am leaving it uncoated, the raw look will go well with the build. looking forward to the colour change.

What kind of VW do you have? I had a 20th anniversary GTI with a big turbo set-up, no longer really in the vw scene though.

cool to see such a nice build in Edmonton, I will have to check out that scrapyard next time I am up there. It sucks that TJs closed down down here.

duggyb said:
cool to see such a nice build in Edmonton, I will have to check out that scrapyard next time I am up there. It sucks that TJs closed down down here.

Thanks! You lived in Edmonton, or close by?

I spent some time yesterday on the front fender. I wasn't planning on running a front fender but I thought I'd chop it shorter, shape the ends, bring it to bare metal and clear coat it. My next step will be to lower it so it sits closer to the tire. Once I get it mounted I'll decide if I want to run it or not. What's the most common method guys have used to lower the fender? I had an idea in mind but we'll see I guess.

25gvw5j.jpg

23u2xrl.jpg

6ezwad.jpg

Re: Re: CB550K: Gutted.Cafe.NOS.Big Bore.Kick Only! Update: Final a rolling chassis

Trad said:
Thanks! You lived in Edmonton, or close by?

Calgary Actually.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

You guys have like a way better custom scene down there. Both for cars and motorcycles. haha.

Well, Benjie is pretty well done with the seat. Just needs to take care of some high's and low's on the alloy cowl but that's it. I am more than happy with the outcome. It was built exactly to my spec and he was super helpful the whole way through.

Especially digging the ribbed brown leather upholstery. I think that will go well with the green tank and should pop umoungst all the black and silver. I can't wait to mock it up with the tank.

35hlci1.jpg

Well, the seat is complete and Benjie will be shipping it off Monday morning. This is probably my favourite piece of this build. I was chatting with him and he incorporated my idea for the rear brace and seat mount together. So excited to receive it. The fit and finish looks amazing.

2m7dt2a.jpg

w7yo2w.jpg

1zzp18x.jpg

great looking bike!!....looking for help on my build....1978 cb550k ...all stock except for the 4 in 1 exhaust and plan on putting pods on the carbs that are bare right no with now filters...the bike will only run with the choke on nearly completley full...i did change the jets from the stock 90 to 105 to compensate for the exhaust and pods...but still not running right ...timing set to spec ..valves set to spec....starts first kick as long as choke is being held shut ....please any help will do cant figure it out for the life of me ...could it possibly be this bad just cause the carbs are bare ?....im lost on what to do next ....all exhaust temp are nearly identical when warm...

Back
Top Bottom