DIY fork shrouds

7aliveatlast7

the bearded hessian
hey all, I was pretty pleased with how these turned out, so I figured I'd share them with the rest of the community here. I've been wanting to use fork shrouds on a build for a while as I really like the timeless, old school look of them. I didn't want to spend the $100+ on a pre fab set however, so I decided to try to make my own.

I used 2.75" steel tube, which was a little too big, so I sectioned it out, squeezed it back closed with hose clamps, and re-welded it for the perfect fit around my fork bottoms. I wanted to make the top cone shape out of the same steel tube, but being 16g steel, it started to seem like it might be a little too thick to work into a cone.

enter in an old set of gr650 exhaust pipes to the rescue. I repurposed them by cutting a section out where the muffler started to flare and welded it to the straight piece of tube that I mentioned earlier. viola, I had fork shrouds. took a little bit of time, but I love how they turned out.

408692462.jpg

408692461.jpg

408692460.jpg

408692459.jpg

Great work, I love them.

Really love it when people think outside the box and recycle old parts.

I've always liked fork shrouds, especially on older spindly looking forks. It gives it the "finished" look, like somebody was paying attention to detail. It makes the bike look "richer", I don't know that I can find the right term I'm looking for, but yes, they look great and I wish more people used them....

well done they look great
once you get the fender lugs cut off the slider they will work fine

Thanks for the comments everyone, and apriliabill, I definitely know what you mean. They add certain element that I can't really explain, but I really enjoy! However, yes, fender mounts will have to be shaved or the shrouds slotted to make a little travel path for the mounts.

Agreed :) Props to you for making your own! Clearly mine need some trimming once I finalize the fork length.

index.php

looks awesome tim! i'd still like to run a fender somehow, but i guess i'll have to get creative. i've done the whole no front fender thing, and it's not terribly enjoyable haha.

Back
Top Bottom