$300 to media blast a frame???

Superleggera

Long time lurker, first time poster...

Anyhow, I've got a '71 CB350 cafe project I've been slowly working on during the extended freeze up here in the NE. As you might imagine, the frame is pretty crusty, so I'm looking to have it media blasted clean before I go any further with it. I've reached out to 3 local shops and have only heard back from one thus far, but the guy wants $300 for just the frame (no swing arm even!). I know it's just one quote, but that seems really expensive - I've seen quotes for stripping AND powder coating for less than that.

Any thoughts on what I should expect to pay for a job like this in the CT area? Media blasting only, no PC as of yet. I'm trying to do this thing on a pretty strict budget, and if its really going to run me that much to strip the frame I'm going to need to consider other options.

I wouldnt strip it until you are ready to paint, if you are just painting it yourself then I wouldnt strip it, just sand it down and re spray over the old paint.

300 is pricey for a frame blast

I am in OH so I can offer no advice about shops in CT, but did you get a quote from a sandblaster or a motorcycle shop? I took mine to a industrial sandblasting company and they blasted my frame and swingarm for like $50. If you can't find anybody to go lower you should just strip it with some aircraft stripper and/or a angle grinder with a flap disc.

Wait till you're ready to PC it and find an industrial PC shop. I paid $250 or so to have my frame, 2 swingarms and a bunch of brackets all blasted AND powdercoated gloss black.

Im with Tim on this one. I got my TLR frame, subframe, swinger, and both rims blasted and PC'd for 350.

deviant said:
In Augusta?

I know it's not the closest but if youre willing to drive an hour or so in Columbia SC there's a great little shop that did a couple frames for me. Charged me 140 bucks for frame and swingarm.

SONIC. said:
I know it's not the closest but if youre willing to drive an hour or so in Columbia SC there's a great little shop that did a couple frames for me. Charged me 140 bucks for frame and swingarm.
Thanks. I used to live in Columbia. I'm always willing to go. Who was it?

Stuyck Company
1851 Shop Rd
803-376-8964

About the sketchiest looking building you can think of in a sketchy location. They do good work though.

Find a place that ingraves tombstones they can do a frame in mins years ago i took 4 fender 2 doors and a hood off a 50 chevy truck to a tombstone shop it cost 75 bucks

Back
Top Bottom