Does this come off??

7aliveatlast7

the bearded hessian
So I got my powder coating setup all ready to go this weekend, and I'm gonna do the rear hub assembly on my '76 cb750 first. This was the first part I grabbed, but how the heck do I disassemble it? Anybody done one before?

410182337.jpg

410182336.jpg

I feel like that part in the center with four holes in it should come out because there is a rubber gasket behind it. Am I correct in thinking this?

The centre piece screws out but those punch marks on the outer edges lock it in. You have to drill them so the inner piece can unscrew.

I'm sure there will be people along soon with pics to show you how.

There's many threads about this. That's the bearing retainer.
The four smaller indentations are stake marks to stop the retainer from turning. They need to be drilled with about a 1/8 drill bit, about 2mm or 3mm deep.
Then you either need to buy or make a tool to turn out the retainer. Be careful, as it is aluminium, and gets damaged easily. May or may not be reverse thread.

Search wheel bearing retainer, you'll find plenty of info.

awesome, thank you for the replies! once its ready to go back on, what keeps it in there if i've drilled out those dimples?

Cool, thought it might be as simple as that, but didn't want to go puttin dings all over the place without knowing for sure. Thanks!

You can make a good wrench for that with a piece of flat steel and some roll pins. Get a piece of steel at least 1/4 inch thick and a little wider than those holes and 4 roll pins a little smaller than the holes. Then drill the pattern of the holes in the flat piece and tap the roll pins into the holes. It will take it off easily.

Back
Top Bottom