Xs750 896cc engine rebuild and chop!

teazer said:
Thanks, That was indeed.
I would not go bigger than that, for the record also needles are shimmed 1.5mm above stock. Still have to book a dyno run to check a/f ratio, but it runs exceedingly well with this setup. After im 100% sure of the mixture i will do some top speed runs. Preferably in summer on an empty highway

2cf18bce928c5b344a108d7238b95d81.jpg
Did something! Bought a cheap 2" muffler and cut off the weird fishtail off the 3-1 system. This can be used to pass inspections, and ride in countries where they actually enforce sound pollution laws dont look too bad either.

Not cool anywhere.. wasnt the point really, would not be surprised if the sucker runs a lot better like this as well will find out when the worlds not frozen.

Just gotta get new swingarm and wheel bearings in there and its good to go all season i think. Just hope the charging regulator wont give me any more problems..
I have an idea that when powering the regulator through the motogadget box, it gets a current it cannot read and regulate correctly, cant think of anything else really as all resistance checks are ok, everything is wired in correctly, brand new components - and still overcharging up to 16-17 volts as high as i dare to go rpm wise really. Think i solved it by hooking different reg and rectifier up last thing i did before parking for winter.

Went out for a blast on it today, semi dry and above freezing. Not much traffic so could give it a lot of gas. Must say i like the deep muffled 3-1 exhaust note a lot better..

focusinprogress said:
those handlebars make it look like the bike is having an identity crisis!
It is! It lost a handmade side cover on the highway and went nuts.

Skickat från min SM-G389F via Tapatalk

So i changed the swingarm bearings, used a bearing puller so was a breeze.
e72964771492b1104dc9eee4ecb3e1c8.jpg
92121f9038e1d377518e481cbbe997d6.jpg
01290dac17f9a81a2bd2f6523f0a968d.jpg

Welded some stellite on the puller to go 30+mm
21d7a33e5297eb1fdf6eaea80dae8bf1.jpg
82c454f7dd3e0cc5087cb4e87bb8752d.jpg

All went back together with fresh grease quite easy. Remember to keep the rear wheel on while undoing the transmission shaft bolts. Need the rear brake!
de97c80d6f1b2168bf64d8b04d2414f5.jpg
That one was finished..

631bd45cad778d96c83732d41b634de0.jpg
yes! Got something done! Cut some old springs redneck style and heated with a torch to flatten the cut end, then painted them copper before i switched the monoshit springs out. Actually rides pretty ok!
This winter i might pull them apart again for some proper copper plating.

Was out for a bit with the thing last week, just kinda started it to hear it howl again. And the regulator didnt crackle and smoke anymore.. it charged maybe 12,5 volts but more than nothing so took it for a quick spin. It pulls really well and the engine is very mechanically smooth and free revving by now. Next year i may dare to install that n.o.s regulator unit.

Installed that nos r/r unit on some spare time, and now its charging steady 14.4 volts, may have helped to solder the main earth cable, was a bit of resistance there. And it starts a bit easier now after i discovered a compression leak and re-torqued the head. All in all the engine build seems succesful but will probably be a few years before i trust the thing.

That was aimed at Mr. Stecken, but yes, I know the feeling. I've made some myself in the past for really, really nasty bearings. E.g. a needle bearing on a MZ gearbox that was sitting in a blind hole.

Back
Top Bottom