Fiberglass fender + metal fork brace

scott s

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
I have this 'glass fender that I'd like to use. I also have the "guts" of a stock front fender to use as a fender brace. The 'glass fender fits over it rather well. I REALLY am not keen on the idea of hose clamps to the fork lowers as a means of attaching the fender.

I've used some automotive grade double sided tape before to mount tank badges, etc., but I'm afraif of the flexing on the front end and the amount of air that might get under the fender.
I've heard there are some heavy duty bonding agents and glues in use these days.
I'm thinking of cutting off the two tabs on the fender that wrap around the fork legs and bonding it to the metal brace.
Suggestions on something really strong that will stand up to the flex and "lift" from the wind, etc.?

That fender is pretty sweet. What's it from? Why not just use four M5 button-head socket cap screws, maybe 6 - 8mm long to mount to the fork brace. Or figure out the size of the holes and thread them and get four button-head socket cap screws to match. They won't detract from the looks of the fender, IMO. I think they actually look good as body part mounts.

I picked up the fender at Barber a couple of years ago. Ten bucks in the swap meet. I have no idea who makes it.

I thought about the button heads....and my still try it....but clearance is TIGHT between the brace and the tire. The weld on the brake line holder stop *barely* rubs.

If you have room to raise the fender a couple of mil, you could tack weld bolts to those holes and go with the cap screws. It definitely looks good the way it sits in the pic, but a couple of mil may not hurt.

Don't forget that tire will grow quite a bit at speed. Bucking a hard rivet is a low profile fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used this stuff. The body shop told me they attach roofs, etc., with it. It's not on the bike yet, but he swears it ain't going nowhere!

I might do a rivet on each side post, so 4 total, if that will work and there is room I have no clue. But rivets can be very low profile, elsecially if you get a hammer and flatten the underside of them.

Back
Top Bottom