Can Anyone On Here Water Jet Cut?

1sttimer

Over 1,000 Posts
I have a bracket that needs cut out of 12 gauge. I can provide pretty much any file type. I have it saved out as an IGES now.

I contacted a local shop about it and they don't want to return my calls. I'd rather support a forum shop anyway.

Anyone have access to a water jet cutter?

a0b7a02f9b79389daf5e860ee80ccf37.jpg

I can't do it free, but my dad has one and I'll see if he can quote it. Will need thickness, matl. and a DXF.

hurco550 said:
Sorry I see thickness. Steel, aluminum or s.s.?
Sweet!

Stainless would be awesome but I'm worried about cost. Can you tell me what it would be both steel and SS? I can export a DXF I believe.

Can you PM me your email to send it?

I THINK YOU WANT TO USE MORE THAN ONE TYPE OF FILE A RAT TAIL AND BASTARD MINIMUM
BUT SERIOUSLY you could hand fab those out aluminum.... 10 gauge would still be thick enough even, with a hand drill,some files and a hacksaw in less than hour..... make 2 at a time bolted together

xb33bsa said:
I THINK YOU WANT TO USE MORE THAN ONE TYPE OF FILE A RAT TAIL AND BASTARD MINIMUM
BUT SERIOUSLY you could hand fab those out aluminum.... 10 gauge would still be thick enough even, with a hand drill,some files and a hacksaw in less than hour..... make 2 at a time bolted together

Eh I've made a few iterations I can't get happy with. I've never water jet cut anything before and want to try it.

you could also cut them ot of CF sheet ;)
but 10 gauge is too heavy for stainless or steel use 14 or even 16 , its not a goddam battleship ;D

xb33bsa said:
you could also cut them ot of CF sheet ;)
but 10 gauge is too heavy for stainless or steel use 14 or even 16 , its not a goddam battleship ;D

That's what I said! Haha. Cxman disagreed. I built a set and he said they were too thin. I wanna say those were about .070" or so.

So I said what the heck. The next set will be monsters.

cxman is halucinating ion this one :D
10 gauge is way too heavy , overdone ::) (it is just a headlight ear ?) .070 is perfect could be .o32 if some forming was done to add ridgudity

xb33bsa said:
cxman is halucinating ion this one :D
10 gauge is way too heavy , overdone ::) (it is just a headlight ear ?) .070 is perfect could be .o32 if some forming was done to add ridgudity

Nope exhaust bracket. I left the hole out for the rear peg mount (at the top triangle). I'll drill it when I get it because there is some slop in the measurements since the exhaust can move up to .5" in any direction radially because it's not bracketed down.

Just concerned about vibration so I figured 12 gauge isn't terribly heavy in that application. Plus if I brought it back up to 16 gauge or so, I'd probably put that "speed triangle" of material back in the middle.

ahso 12 be fine tho 105 ;) , 120 is just too heavy... use an isolator rubber mount of some kind at the pointy end

i am hallucinating lol

you guys have never seen how a heavy set of harley dyna cans vibrate at 7500 rpm on a cx500

they are the only attachment point of a length of pipe about 36 inches long

go ahead make them lighter i will wait for the hallucination i have seen plenty of cut out even 1/4 thick aluminum

vibration crack in this case it will also have a longitudinal twist and its a 4 inch arm to vibrate

there might be a reason the factory makes them shorter and in stamped steel but entertain me lets see

cxman said:
i am hallucinating lol

you guys have never seen how a heavy set of harley dyna cans vibrate at 7500 rpm on a cx500

they are the only attachment point of a length of pipe about 36 inches long

go ahead make them lighter i will wait for the hallucination i have seen plenty of cut out even 1/4 thick aluminum

vibration crack in this case it will also have a longitudinal twist and its a 4 inch arm to vibrate

there might be a reason the factory makes them shorter and in stamped steel but entertain me lets see

No one is testing the waters. They are going to be 12 gauge. That's plenty thick for a couple years of riding. If they need to be replaced after that so be it I have the file.

It's an exhaust bracket not an abomination mono shock or frame modification.

What is done can be undone and redone.

the main reason you want them to be stout enough to dampen all the vibration

is if they allow movement it will wear the exhaust gasket ring in the head causing let off backfiring

and the cylinder head exhaust studs to work loose that is actually the bigger concern or PITA

if you have long sweeping downpipes personally i feel it is best to have 2 hangers per pipe
on my bastardides sl i run a short ruber cushiond mid-pipe bracket and then a long can hanger, this keeps the working at the head joint down to a minimum.i considered just the can hanger alone and i did run that a cupl rides,until one of the head pipes got a twist-fracture up at the port and nearly fell off, lesson learnt ,whatever you have should dampen out movement like CXman is stressing... not only just the vibration but hitting bumps transmits movement

Back
Top Bottom